The Z build...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airjockie

Watanabe Whore!!!
Rest In Peace
The build might take awhile..or it might be done tommorrow...who know.

Prior Stats:

Swapped out the 260 motor, and dropped in some built motor with no real speks, but it ran, and it kept up to some cars, when it ran right.

Known stats on the the blown motor:
N47 block, N47 head, un-known pistons, mention of a race cam, blahh, blahh blahh....short story...blew the motor due to low oil levels on a long corner at a race track trying to drift, at high RPMs...the con rod didn't like to stay in the block...it tried to escape.

The next motor:

Known stats:

F54 Block and P90 head, rebuilt, had 800 miles on it...freebee.
Some new clutch, looks heafty, looks like it needs a cleaning.
It's actually a motor from a Turbo 81-83 280 ZX, but rebuilt and stuffed in a car and converted to carbs...800 miles and the car got t-boned...intake/exhaust many removed for some time while it sat in the backyard at a buddies house for a long time....maybe a year or so.

Decision time...

Should I tear it down, look it over, re-rebuild it and hope the rings didn't get rained on and rusted to the cylinder walls? Or just clean it up, stuff it in the Z, and run it until it blows up.....again...and hope for the best. Then hurry and get to the CRX re-build while my union and company are still on strike?

If I rebuilt it, then I would want to go full bore...hunt down a crank from a diesel Maxima, bore the block, locate six 240SX KA24DE pistons, 240Z con rods, a 1-2mm metal head gasket, and build up a 3.1 stroker...and have torque and power from hell....and then the next question for the stroker motor is....carbs, FI, or go all the way out and boost it....? I can slightly afford it...but to the extent of parting it together with used parts, except the head gasket...and then I'll have to FMU it, or get some kind of fuel management...

Another option...

Drop it in, hook it up to the old setup, and have another running car....in my situation...thats just about my only option right now.

And the last option...screw the stroker idea, just find a 280ZX ECU/harness, find a t3/t4 turbo, I already have the turbo exhaust mani, and fab up the exhaust for full boost.

The car is in the garage right now thawing out, and I'll yank the old motor out tommorrow.

So......

Simple swap...hope for the best...save $$$ for something else...?
Simple swap...Slap some $1000 side draft carbs on it....and roll...?
Simple swap...Turbo it for about $800..and roll?
Simple swap...Fab up some ITB's...and roll?
Simple swap...wait till money comes in, and buy another built engine and do another swap?
Slight rebuild...double check all internals...slap back in and run...?
Major rebuild...go stroker, hope more money comes in...carbs...?
Major rebuild...go stroker, hope more money comes in...Stock FI...?
Major rebuild...go stroker, hope more money comes in...Turbo...?
Go all out, part out the CRX and Civic, Order a Rebello Engine, swap and kick the crap out of all the cars in the region?

Right now...I'm leaning towards to just getting the car driftable again, HP sounds like fun, but I also have the crx build to do. If this engine can get me thru the season of hard abuse, I'll be happy. And I want to also have the CRX rolling before the first autocross, and it's going to be turbo, so some time to tune it will be needed...

Plus I want to get both the CRX and the Z painted this year...

/end another post posted while drunk.....

If that thing goes back on the road.... Stroker, triple webbers, full exhuast... nothing more... nothing less. over 200whp and enough torque to kick the crap out of that car.

I say you rebuild the CRX first, get another driving car... THEN get into the Z HARDCORE!

Sell the Z motors/parts

Sell some other misc stuff in the garage

DO NOT part the CRX (although theres a voice in my head screaming "SHUT UP YOU FOOL")

Buy an RB swap....

Slight rebuild...double check all internals...slap back in and Turbo it for about $800

I guess. . . lol

donate it to a museam

:p

J/p i'd tear it apart for a simple rebuild-- clean/hone it up a little bit, some new rings, etc etc.

just get it running.

Yeah my vote goes to freshening it up a little. Powerwash the block/car new seals, maybe a new water pump. New plugs - clean the carbs and get it running. Get the CRX done, then tear down the Z and go crazy.

Remember those webers I bought awhile back? Yeah I'm trying to get rid of them. Probably not interested cause they're only dual downdrafts, but figured I'd throw it out there.

http://www.zcarcreations.com/downloads/lengine.zip

ohh the possibilities....

welp...the engine is out of the car, and the car back in the driveway...not bad for 2 hours of work.... :laugh:
now to set up the engines on some stands, and tear them apart.

I already ordered some new intake and exhaust studs from ebay, and I'll prolly spend a week cleaning up parts, port a head, and see what else might fall in my lap.....

if I just had a t3/t4 turbo....a downpipe, some bigger injectors.....ecu, megasquirt.....I'm dreaming now... :laugh:

BOOST IS NOT ALLOWED!

YOU BUILD THE ORIGINAL ALLMOTOR KING AND YOU LIKE IT!

L28 block, L24 rods, P90 or p99 head... dont remember which flows better, Felpro head gasket, .040 over bore (or go full out with the .120), L28 desiel crank, l28 turbo pistons, triple webbers, full race header....

YES SIR!

I'm thinking about it....

but I just popped the valve cover off...and yup....it's cleaner than a wallet in a whorehouse. I can not even see haze from the oil...just clean oil. Domed pistons, P90 head, normal cam, was swapped over to a mechanical fuel pump, Both cams appear to be the same...both E30's. :cry:

So with what I can figuare...I think I'll just clean up the exteranl parts like the intake manifold, alt brackets, motor mounts, swap the clutch I have over, a 6 puck ACT clutch disk may be here friday, play around with the port and polish...prolly just gasket match for now...and prolly slap it together and try to shoot for driving it around Sat night.

too bad the compression ratio is going to be low...and no turbo to really use it...

I'll just get it drivable and play with it, and then try to afford something or build up something to do the wowzer post.

7.38:1 CR :cry:

ooopsss.I ment dished turbo pistons....not dome. best I could look for is some flattop pistons...but tearing apart all the other gaskets on an 800 mile engine is not worth it...

But I do wish I had some flat pistons...but even then it would get me an 8.52:1 CR....still nothing that would make any power....

Just popped the head off the old block.... :ph34r:

5/6th of the pistons are good...haha
11/12ths of the valves are good... :ph34r:
11/12the of the valve guides are straight... :p

the bore is....85.82-85.89mm :blink: stock bore :blink:

http://www.geocities.com/zgarage2001/heads.html

N42 block...N42 head...WTF...

the head has just a slight P&P, cam is the same as the other one....How in the hell did this engine have so much balls....it was catching up to Rob's old SR'ed 240sx on the way to BeaveRun, and I wasn't having to much trouble trying to keep up with Bill's BMW on the way to LimeRock....and this engine had some nuts...and the charts show it as an 8.29:1 CR....

I'm wondering...hrmmmm...I think I'll sleep on it..... :laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]
.it was catching up to Rob's old SR'ed 240sx on the way to BeaveRun,

lol, you drove the AE86 to BeaveRun dumbass. lol

and I wasn't having to much trouble trying to keep up with Bill's BMW on the way to LimeRock

we were only doing 60-75 :p

....and this engine had some nuts...and the charts show it as an 8.29:1 CR....

that is shocking though. it is def a lot quicker than it used to be on the old motor.

Same motor, different body.

We have Airjockie to English dictionaries on hand.

Back