Thicker Header Gaskets??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92CHB

I was wondering if there is any company that makes thick header gaskets? My flange on my turbo manifold is slightly warped :eek: and i tried too straighting it out with a torch, which did help alot but now there is just some slight warpage still. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a thick gasket for between the manifold and head other than the thin copper stock ones. Can any one help me ASAP!!! I wanna get my porject done soon! THANKS! :worthy:

Originally posted by reckedracing@Apr 6 2005, 04:41 PM
not that i know of...

lathe it...

what kind of flange or manifold is it that warped?
ss?
[post=483814]Quoted post[/post]​

No its mild steel, I need like a gasket about 1/16" thick or so. I have a 3 bolt 3" Mr. gasket gasket for another part of my exhaust and i was using it to gauge the thickness I need and it's about what i need. Oh when you said lathe did you mean mill?

no, by ss i meant is it an ssautojunk manifold...

1/16 is quite a lot when it comes to metal and clearances...
its huge actually....
damn, bye bye exhaust studs when you try and torque that true...

and yea, lathe/mill you know what i was saying

Originally posted by reckedracing@Apr 6 2005, 05:06 PM
no, by ss i meant is it an ssautojunk manifold...

1/16 is quite a lot when it comes to metal and clearances...
its huge actually....
damn, bye bye exhaust studs when you try and torque that true...

and yea, lathe/mill you know what i was saying
[post=483824]Quoted post[/post]​

...no its not SSAUTOCRAP :D . It's a manifold i built but the head flanged warped from welding.....I guess its a lost cause :(

ooh man, that sucks dude

what was its thickness that it warped?

were you laying really high heat beads or something? like too much for normal welding penetration?

i would advise the milling/lathing...

or you could try using a couple exhaust gaskets...
i know they are normally 3 layers ish, so you could try to double the gasket or something?
or search for high heat gasket material?

anything other than junking the mani man...

You usually resurface the head flange after welding the runners onto it... take it to a machine shop and have it done. The process usually only costs about $40, and that's cheaper than getting a custom gasket and then constantly replacing it or other things that break because you have a warped flange that's leaking boost...

Back