This is a load of crap....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I am inclined to disagree with this mindset to an extent. Stating my reasons will make this post more long-winded than anyone would care to read. There are good reasons to hire both applicants. Unfortunately, the majority of HR and recruiting professionals would prefer the former...

of course they are going to prefer several internships/short work experience. it gives you working knowledge of the field. it polishes you for the environment. and it also gives you insight as to what you want to do. you are going to be changing careers entirely when you finish school. also, businesses don't like looking at career students. they are interested in someone who is professional. you can certified like no other, but if you don't know how to do the job, they wont hire. if i was you, i would start looking for a new place to start working for when you finish your mba and get in early. that way you will be up and running when you are finished.

i also have a degree in business administration. i have found that the only thing that you can do with it is sales jobs/sales management.

where do you go to school and what do you plan on doing when you are finished.

i also have a degree in business administration. i have found that the only thing that you can do with it is sales jobs/sales management.

where do you go to school and what do you plan on doing when you are finished.

Knowing what I know now, I wish I went into school within a more specific major. I, too, suffer from being a business admin/interdisciplinary business major. Although most people don't choose careers in the field of their degree, employers look at these people as more focused and as a result more enthusiastic to work in specific fields.

We'll see what my major lands me in terms of a job. I've already done the financial gig.

I'm kind of in a similar situation myself. I graduated with my BBA in management and HR last spring, worked part time for the place I did my internship at for a while, and am now working full time as a college admissions advisor.

Honestly, I don't really like it. It involves a lot of calling, a lot of face-to-face client meetings, and a lot of traveling and networking. BUT, I think it's a great thing for me career-wise. I'm looking to start my MBA in the fall. I figure that 2-3 years of this job on my resume as well as an MBA will put me in a great place as far as potential higher-paying jobs in the future.

Relevant full-time work experience plus the educational background is the best case scenario, if you can swing it...

Knowing what I know now, I wish I went into school within a more specific major. I, too, suffer from being a business admin/interdisciplinary business major. Although most people don't choose careers in the field of their degree, employers look at these people as more focused and as a result more enthusiastic to work in specific fields.

We'll see what my major lands me in terms of a job. I've already done the financial gig.
what did you do in finance?
I'm kind of in a similar situation myself. I graduated with my BBA in management and HR last spring, worked part time for the place I did my internship at for a while, and am now working full time as a college admissions advisor.

Honestly, I don't really like it. It involves a lot of calling, a lot of face-to-face client meetings, and a lot of traveling and networking. BUT, I think it's a great thing for me career-wise. I'm looking to start my MBA in the fall. I figure that 2-3 years of this job on my resume as well as an MBA will put me in a great place as far as potential higher-paying jobs in the future.

Relevant full-time work experience plus the educational background is the best case scenario, if you can swing it...
most deadlines for fall have passed. where do you plan on going?

serious-1.jpg

most deadlines for fall have passed. where do you plan on going?

Oakland University, in metro Detroit. I'm not looking to go full time, probably just once class to start, and then see how it goes from there. I already talked to an admissions advisor and he told me I'd be fine taking the GMAT this summer and submitting my app then.

Oakland University, in metro Detroit. I'm not looking to go full time, probably just once class to start, and then see how it goes from there. I already talked to an admissions advisor and he told me I'd be fine taking the GMAT this summer and submitting my app then.
oh ok. i thought you were considering going to a huge mba school. i missed my deadline for UofW. blah

what did you do in finance?

Financial Rep.

I interned at Northwestern Mutual mainly because it was ranked as a top ten internship, in the nation, by Princeton Review for seven consecutive years.

I was only licensed to sell insurance but I still could go with a senior rep and meet with clients for more advanced financial planning.

Financial Rep.

I interned at Northwestern Mutual mainly because it was ranked as a top ten internship, in the nation, by Princeton Review for seven consecutive years.

I was only licensed to sell insurance but I still could go with a senior rep and meet with clients for more advanced financial planning.
full service is a world of difference from online brokerage.

you want a good job with a good company, go to Fidelity. best thing out there that i know of.

i would NEVER consider full service rep after doing it for nearly 2 years. but i would go back to online brokerage.

Back