tools...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

One thing to keep in mind is get tools from a place where you can easily get them replaced. Like sears, make sure they are close so you don't have to drive far to get your ratchet replaced when it breaks. Trust me it WILL break. When I was doing technician work I went through a ratchet every 3 months with somewhat moderate use.

For your gun, since you're going to use it at work I still suggest Craftsman. And keep a bottle of automatic tranny fluid in your tool kit so you can lube it every morning before the day starts. It will last much longer that way. Harbor Freight stuff is for home use, occasional use not for professional use.

The Pawn Shop idea above is a very good one too. I have a few tools I picked up at a great price.

Also, congratulations on your ASE Certifcation my young brother and Welcome to the working world!!!

alright sounds good i dont think they are much more than harbor freights anyways. and thanks about the tips no one has ever told me that.

thanks mod-man glad to see in and underside of a car again:D

i have a question for you tool guys.

i have a craftsman 20-200ft-lb torque wrench. but its uncalibrated. my brother had used it and i dont know what he did but the nut on the bottom is loose and the handle slides up and down cause the bottom cap is gone. so you have no idea what the torque value its set to.

where can i get a torque wrench serviced? i called sears and they said they dont service them at all. and that if i had a receipt within a year, they would replace it, but ive had it like 2 years and the receipt is long gone. any ideas where to get it fixed? i dont want to just buy a new one.

Sounds like your out of luck. Reason why all my torque wrenches are Snap-On. I had an older Craftsman 3/8ths, but with no way to calibrate it its useless to me. My Snap on dealer sends them out to be calibrated for relatively little cost.

Your best bet would be to buy a semi-decent one from HF or Sears to replace it.

there has to be SOMEWHERE that will service this thing

look for local calibration shops. My company uses "Tucson Calibration"for all of our tools. They fix any problems if they can.

Anyways, back to the HF question.. I've found that most tools from HF are good for light use only. Although, there are always exceptions. I bought a 1/2" drive breaker bar from them that has been perfect for 4 years now..other things, like the 2 different sets of pry bars i have from there, have bent.

i have a question for you tool guys.

i have a craftsman 20-200ft-lb torque wrench. but its uncalibrated. my brother had used it and i dont know what he did but the nut on the bottom is loose and the handle slides up and down cause the bottom cap is gone. so you have no idea what the torque value its set to.

where can i get a torque wrench serviced? i called sears and they said they dont service them at all. and that if i had a receipt within a year, they would replace it, but ive had it like 2 years and the receipt is long gone. any ideas where to get it fixed? i dont want to just buy a new one.
Brother is the one that should honour warranty if Sears won't.

So, the Craftsman torque wrenches are only guaranteed for a year. I have two of them - 3/8" & 1/2" drive. The 1/4" drive is something else.

I can't help you with service - never had to repair any of mine. Wait a minute. Sears is pretty good about parts. I have lots of Craftsman tools and have bought a few repair parts over the years. Parts for air compressor and lawn mowers. Larger needle and orfice for spray guns, etc.

If you have the PN look it up here: http://beta.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action

I looked up the parts for my 20-150 ft lbs 1/2" drive model # 44595 and they have parts for it. The PN is on the handle near the dial so you many not have that part on your wrench.

http://beta.searspartsdirect.com/pa...6&pop=flush&searchCount=1&prst=0&shdMod=44595

Sear has a log book of where you can recalibrate your torque wrench. It should be in the front cashier desk. When I asked to get mine recalibrate. They said they don't anymore but refer a local places that has the equipment. Mine was out of warrenty time. But only have to charge a small labor fee. it was cheap.

I like Craftsmen. But I also have other tools. Brand names are sometimes misleading at times because they are sometimes made in different factories. I remember a Snap-on Tool Chest was was made a the same factory as the one I saw at Samsclub/CostCo. Just small differences.

Pawnshops are a great place to get some professional grade tools. But sometimes they are there for a reason. Prob worn out tools. Also search Criaglist as well. You sometime get good deals.

If you are going towards New tools by Craftsmen. The best time is Black Friday/ Early Christmas/ Late Christmas shopping. Usually the best time to get some nice tools to your collection.

Back