Turbo or SuperCharger

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nitrous is considered a form of FI. I think it's worse than supercharging, though, as you have NO way to modulate the power, and every ten runs or so, you're spending $35 to fill the bottle. I dunno about you guys, but cost aside, that's a huge pain in the ass. I've been driving boosted coars constantly for the past two years, and have yet to spend a dime to fill up the "boost" bottle...

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Apr 19 2004, 08:28 PM
Nitrous is considered a form of FI. I think it's worse than supercharging, though, as you have NO way to modulate the power, and every ten runs or so, you're spending $35 to fill the bottle. I dunno about you guys, but cost aside, that's a huge pain in the ass. I've been driving boosted coars constantly for the past two years, and have yet to spend a dime to fill up the "boost" bottle...

yes it is the occasional pain in the ass BUT as i said before it depends on what you will be using your vehicle for....

Superchargers are a waste of money as far as honda motors go... Not only is their basic design craptacular compared to a turbo, they go against the whole concept the Honda Engineers had... high RPM motors. They take no advantage of hgih RPM operation, unlike a turbo. All they end up doing is "wasting" air that could be made into more boost, or in some cases, not even being able to hold their lack luster boost levels near redline. And they run hot, so piss on them.

Get a bottle for 400 bucks if you want quick power. If you want a car that will last, and possibly garner you some respect from the kiddies in the neighborhood (not to mention being faster, and always faster) than the bottle, get a turbo.

Turbos and SCs are two different kind of powermakers. Its like comparing burgers and fried chicken, both feed you but in different ways.

So, theres nothing like turbos are better than Sc or viceversa. theyre just different. I personally prefer sc because the setup needed for it to work is just the kit. Otherwise, even being cheaper as a kit, turbos require a lot more work.

Superchargers are nice to get instant boost /permanent boost. Turbos make far more power and are very upgradeable but at an additional and additional cost.

I personally run a ATI procharger intercooled setup which makes me smile everytime i step on my pedal.

Hey well i can tell you right now for that motor i would go turbo if your looking for more speed, you can boost alot more and get alot more out of a turbo on a honda or acura or pretty much any import. The supercharger is easier to install but so is the turbo if you have ever done it but the supercharger is half the time. Now i would say if you boost with turbo there is no need for type r cams cuz those cams just dont go to well with boost. I would tell you to go turbo all the way and dont listen to anyone because s/c's SUCK for 4 cyls, If anyone tells you to go s/c then you would probaly like it but then if you were to go turbo then you would say "WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING GOING S/C". The turbo puts out so much more power than a s/c on those cars and the s/c's on honda and acuras especially jackson s/c's are known to break alot when you try to boost then higher, i've known a few people that have gone threw a few of them because of that reason for boosting a few extra pounds. Also on top end the turbo is going to pull like a mother fucker compared to a s/c. See a s/c is only really good when your doing a 1/4 in like 4-5 and mabey 6 seconds haha because then you dont have time for turbo lag since your only racing for a few seconds HAHA but in your case if your looking for a great 1/4 time and top end power and mid range then go TURBO I mean if you were to go ask any real import honda/acura/import racer they would tell you to go turbo. Now here look it at this way my friend has a GSR integra with a t3/t4 turbo or did until he upgraded, but anyways he ran a supercharged integra gsr and my friend with the turbo launch right with him just about and at the top of 1st gear he was already starting to pull and by top 2nd he was about a 2 cars length ahead of him within about a 1/8 mile so far and then by the 1/4 he was at least about 4 car lengths ahead of the s/c gsr. Now they were both 8 lbs. Well after all that they ran a coupld more time from a stop and s/c gsr still got his ass handed to him, so then they finally went on the freeway and fucked around for a bit and my friends turbo gsr pulled on him like CRAZY. Now my friends 1/4 time was a 13.56@105 on street tires now thats a good trap speed for that time and on baby slicks he got a 13.33@108 and on full big slicks he got a 13.07@111 now thats a great trap speed. Now the s/c gsr on slicks got a 14.4@97 now that sucks HAHA and then his quickest time for the day was a 14.0@100 with a good launch and no screw ups he said. If you were to ever watch the pro street imports and the really quick ass imports they are TURBO.

I kept on ready these forums LMAO someone said his friend has a 99 si stock with s/c and got 13.9 well my friend has a 99 civic si and when it was comletely stock with no exaust on street tires at 5lbs of boost he ran a 13.8@104 and the very last run at 6lbs stock motor on street tires and really bad 60' time and a burnout through most of 1st gear he got a 13.62@106. Also my other friend had a stock LS none vtec integra with 7 lbs on a t3/t3 turbo and got a 13.83@105 on street tires i mean come on you dont hardly ever see s/c's doing that and this was a integra theat weighs more than a SI and has less horse power stock HAHAHA i mean come one the people who think s/c's are great in a 4 cyl honda or whatever HAHA then you need to start going to the track and watch the fastest imports out there and you will see that they are pretty much all turbocharged, I went to CMI (CALIFORNIA MODIFIED IMPORTS) at the sacramento raceway and i honestly dont remeber seeing any s/c cars that 2nd day except for a 6 sec V8, now the first day out of over 600 import mostly honda and acura i only remeber seeing a few s/c honda/acura cars and when i say a few i mean like no moe than 4 or 5 LMAO and they were SLOW they had a built hatch with a s/c and it was at 15 lbs of boost and it was on a gsr and he only got 12.2 LMAO that sucks my hatch at 12 lbs on a lsvtec got a 11.6

if you want s/c, a buddy is selling a modified JRSC with custom crower cams for $2k!

Man 2k WOW thats a waist of money HAHA i can get you a fucking t3/t4 turbo and kit for less than that NEW, I can also get you a huge ass drag turbo a T6/T4X turbo with kick for like little less than 2K and it would be used but still pretty new there not like s/c's where they seem to go break all the time TURBOS dont have that problem HAHAHA. Getting the t3/t4 turbo will kick the shit out of a stupid s/c with cams HAHAH remeber all you have to do with a turbo is push a couple of buttons on the the vtec controller that comes with this kit and your already boosting higher HAHAHA. Buyinh a Supercharger for a honda or acura is just very retarted and i complete waist of money and time to get like no speed compared to a turbo, my old ass turbo motor was a SOHC none vtec SI motor in my hatch with a T26 turbo from a supra which was hella small and i smoked the shit out of a s/c gsr and a few other s/c hondas with onoly 6 lbs of boost HAHAHA

Also i have driven alot of s/c cars from gsr's-ls vtecs to V8's and when driving the import cars with a s/c i wondered what the fuck was the poing of this person spending money on this s/c crap for HAHA, I drove my friends gsr s/c at 12's of boost and it was quick but like after like top of 2nd gear it was like holy shit this think is a peace of shit compared to my turbo b18 where i pulls extremely hard and keeps on pulling like that in every god dam gear LMAO. S/C's are cool if your racing 60's all the time HAHAHAHAHA or V8's. someone said on the 1st page thhat the only cars that are good for s/c's is V6 and V8 well from my experince and years in racing i have always seen V6's faster in drag racing and any other type of racing with TURBOS not s/c's, but it is better than a 4 cyl lol. here let me tell you imports NONE domestic drivers something about S/C (COMPANIES SELLING SUPERCHARGERS FOR MOTORS SMALLER THAN A V8 ARE DOING IT TO RAPE YOU GUYS FOR YOUR MONEY, THEY ARE DOING IT FOR THE IDIOTS THAT THINK BY PUTTING A SUPERCHARGER ON WILL MAKE THEIR 4CYL OR 6CYL CARS TURN INTO BIG FAST MUSCLE CAR BECAUSE THE REAL DRAGSTERS DO It) I think the people who put s/c on there cars really want to own a V8.

I like nitrous....I have it in my car... for 400 bucks I can have 75 instant hp(really like 50-55-60WHP). For 75Hp add up how much money you would spend on bolt ons and such(alot more than 400 bucks).

My friend has a civic ex, and has IHE, and a aem rail and regulator. He sprayed a 55 shot at least once a week on it if not more, and did nothing with the timing and had stock internals. He ran this car like this for 2 years(40,000 miles), maintained it properly, and had NO problems what so ever. He decided to swap, so he sold his engine and its running perfectly in a crx now for 1 year. Im not saying that this might work as well on your particular application, but it is the cheapest, most HP adder could purchase.

Nitrous if used correctly in your engine with the correct fuel system, can be very effective, and reliable.

Thats just my opinion on nitrous.

and for the supercharger v.s. turbo, after hearing all of this, and my friends always breaking something on their engines... Im not too sure as what I want to do. I am looking to either swap again to a better engine(GSR or ITR), and start from there, or find a SIMPLE turbo setup that is clean(like I dont want shit all over my engine bay). I dont want lines and pipes and crap running all over my engine bay. I like my engine looking clean with hoses and wires being hidden.

***This is all my opinion, you DONT need to come back and flame on me about it. Its personally what Id do on my car/engine.***

hes putting type r pistons. arent they domed. if they r , i always thought domed were better for all motor. i thought dished were better for turbo. sorry for being a dumbass but im still kind of new to hondas.

You take that shot of squeexe and i will run you with boost from a turbo without squeeze and see how good you hang with mine ;) an nirtious is never reliable on a stock car and if you think that then HAHAHAHA your going to blow you motor one day

Originally posted by VtI_blue@Apr 20 2004, 01:22 PM
Turbos and SCs are two different kind of powermakers. Its like comparing burgers and fried chicken, both feed you but in different ways.

So, theres nothing like turbos are better than Sc or viceversa. theyre just different. I personally prefer sc because the setup needed for it to work is just the kit. Otherwise, even being cheaper as a kit, turbos require a lot more work.

Superchargers are nice to get instant boost /permanent boost. Turbos make far more power and are very upgradeable but at an additional and additional cost.

I personally run a ATI procharger intercooled setup which makes me smile everytime i step on my pedal.

No, there is. Turbos are better than superchargers. They are more efficient in every aspect.

Yes they are two different things one sucks(s/c) and one is good (turbo) if you spend alot of money and still be slow then go supercharger and if you want to spen that money and go fast then get a turbo ;)

Originally posted by IMOTEPHT@Apr 21 2004, 11:21 PM
You take that shot of squeexe and i will run you with boost from a turbo without squeeze and see how good you hang with mine ;) an nirtious is never reliable on a stock car and if you think that then HAHAHAHA your going to blow you motor one day

WTF did you just say??!!

Back