turbo vs. all motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HondaUnderoath

I currently have a D16Z6 Honda del sol. I only want like 200hp but i have so many choices... mini-me conversion (d16 w/ y8 head), h22, b16, b18, k20, or then there is the turbo. What do ya'll think would be the cheapest yet safe way to achieve 200 horses?

If you already have the Z6, a mini-me is pointless. You already have the VTEC head.

If you only want 200hp, probably the easiest thing to do is to buy the Edelbrock turbo kit and tune it up a little. An Edelbrock kit just bolted on out of the box will make 200hp at the crank. Crank up the boost and you can make that much or more at the wheels with good tuning.

Edelbrock Sport Compact Turbo Systems

The only reason i'm a little iffy on the turbo idea is because i've heard alot of bad stories from friends n their turbo honda's. i know u can't go on what everyone else says but i've heard that once u turbo is on a honda it is only time before it blows. would i need to rebuild my motor or could i use the Edelbrock turbo kit just as my motor is?

it wont blow if its tuned correctly

PM from HondaUnderoath:

HondaUnderoath said:
would i need to rebuild my motor or could i use the Edelbrock turbo kit just as my motor is? i've heard of alot of turbo hondas blowin, whats the best way to avoid that?

1. Read my signature- ask these questions in the forum next time.

2. You can use the kit on stock internals. That's how it's designed. That's exactly what I said in the thread too- stock internals.

3. The blown Hondas you heard about most likely died because they weren't tuned correctly. Tuning is EVERYTHING.

cant stress that point enough, TUNING IS EVERYTHING

i feel like im running behind cal in every thread, but hes been right in every thread so far.

the guys that blow their hondas are usually using that secondary fuel rail (not good for reliability), trying to use an AFC hack and not even comming close on the tune, or they mess with their timing in the tuning when they dont know what the hell is going on. All 3 will blow the shit outa your motor. How do you avoid this you ask?

Get a real tuning platform. Some DSM 450s, a chipped p28, crome and ostrich goes a long way. you could probably hit 350-400hp with that and the right turbo selection. Know your tuner, know his work, and trust that he wont blow your shit. Basically if i do turbo my car (or when i have the engine rebuilt for 10:1 & Nitrous...which is more likely) you better believe im gonna get in touch with cal and see when he is in town. If hes not gonna be in town, i gotta see when Philip or someone that Cal trusts is available to tune my car. I dont want dumbasses touching my shit. My prelude is my baby, and if you take care of your baby, it will love you till the day you die.

Back