Type S v. Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

id actually wait. honda guaranteed and promised up and down, theyd have a type r here by 2007. dont know which one, but I was sort of hoping civic, because weve never had a usdm ctr. only itr. either would be nice.

I think you all should buy 2nd generation accord 4drs and pimp the hell out of them. One they are cheaper. Two the insurance is a hell of alot cheaper. Three cause dam they look nice when they are done, Four cause you can fit about anything under the hood, and five cause when your all done and have a totally fat car you have only spent about 8 grand and dam it looks nicer than anything on any lot. Just my opion

honda is out.

think about it. almost EVERY major car manufactuer has come out with a bitchin 30-40k sports car in the past couple years.

nissan: 350z
suby: wrx/sti
mitsu: evo8
toyota: IS300
honda: ???
mazda: rx8

honda's been wasted by every other company. just look at the specs. all wheel drive or RWD exclusivly... no FWD shit.
turbos on half the models...

honda needs to do something serious... and none of this s2000 crap. cuz it HARDLY compares.
I drove one for about 2 miles, and i was happy to get out of it. by far the most uncomfortable car i've ever driven. great if you're 5'4 and 120 lbs, but not 6'1 and 240 lbs. but still, its freaking slow until 7k

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 30 2004, 12:28 AM

Why can't the S2000 be in that list ? Or the NSX ?

I also object heavily to the WRX and EVO and IS300 entries. Shit, even the RX8 on a primal level.

The WRX, EVO and IS300 are nothing but family poseur cars on crack. Wicked bouts of engineering genius - don't get me wrong - But they aren't sports cars.

The RX8 is just an insult to an old-time Rotor-head like myself. The RX heritage is destroyed with a 4 seater as Jeep heritage is destroyed by their 2WD, non-offroad intended models. 4 Seats aren't the problem - But it just makes me uncomfortable. The half-doors kinda make up for it in coolness factor though.

This weekend proved to me just how dangerous turbocharged 4 door sedans and wagons can be. A slight mistake on a sanctioned and safety-oriented course was shattered when someone just slipped their foot off the brake while stopping a heavily turboed station wagon.

Family cars and people-haulers mean that you, your friends, your family and loved ones put their very lives in the hands of a (99.99999% of the time) unprofessional and unskilled driver piloting a car that goes way too fast for it's design. A sports car carries passengers, but it only carries one. It's a more personal experience. It's for this reason that I never speed with a passenger.

Could you handle injuring a friend due to a slip up? A death? How about 4 deaths?

Millions of dollars of research went into a $30k car, and the airbags didn't even go off. (I'll go on my anti-airbag rant some other night)

The 350Z is the only car that has maintained it's heritage in design and purpose, of that list. The S2000 won't make your eye's pop out, but it's a great start for Honda. Honda has also made it's own heritage in producing not the fastest cars, but the cars that score the lowest environmental impact and highest gasoline ratings in the world. And the S2000, while being a pretty ballsy production car, still holds to that credo.

Now before I wrap up, I realise I have stated something that has gone hypocritical to my nature. I love Supras, always have. The older the better in my book but besides that point, They are always 4 seaters. My favorite cars of the past are 4 seaters. From the Alpine Renault A110, the Porsche 928, the Firebird.. The list goes on. These cars were made as "performance cars" with an emphasis placed on their forward mobility - But all the mean while designed with intelligent people in mind. Those that realise their place in the world and who recognise the fine art of motoring with friends.

My kind of automotive culture is one based on the freedoms and liberties enjoyed by responsible and considerate people. And the very thought of an SUV that can go 140 mph (Porsche Cayenne) or a turbo-charged wagon that can propel itself so fast that a common driver can't even think before an accident has occured makes me sick. The most guilty I have ranged is in owning the ASC/McLaren TGPs I've owned in the past. But by realising the true potential of the car, it's ability to throw me into a dangerous situation so much faster than a more "pedestrian" car, and my own responsibility to those in the car has sobered me to how I drive, who I am and whom I affect.

I wish I wasn't so alone in my sentiments.

-> Steve

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 29 2004, 09:28 PM

think about it. almost EVERY major car manufactuer has come out with a bitchin 30-40k sports car in the past couple years.

i agree but you can scratch the rex-8. poo poo, pretty, but its poo. i'd rather have an S2K for sure.

the S2000.. im a little disappointed that you're harpin on that car. its hondas first attempt at a RWD sports car here and i thought they did a pretty good job. it is a pretty peppy N.A. 4 cylinder-doesnt it make the most N.A. hp per cubic inch than any other mass produced car sold in the states?
i know where you're coming from i guess. its like honda wants to hide behind their economy car image, too afraid to make a real sports car contender.

honda's been wasted by every other company. just look at the specs. all wheel drive or RWD exclusivly... no FWD shit.

Really, no FWD? what about say... the...

Dodge SRT-4?

Then you have American cars

GM: 02 SS/WS6
GM New: 05 Base Vette rivals the 03 Z06, then the GTO, soon to have the Chevelle as well
Ford: 03-04 SVT Cobra
Toyota: Possibly a new Supra so I've heard rumors of.

I do agree with you though, Honda has been wasted by every other company, but looking at the Japanese only narrows down the performance field to cars with turbos to be fast.

Originally posted by Celerity+Mar 29 2004, 11:04 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Mar 30 2004, 12:28 AM

Why can't the S2000 be in that list ? Or the NSX ?

I also object heavily to the WRX and EVO and IS300 entries. Shit, even the RX8 on a primal level.

The WRX, EVO and IS300 are nothing but family poseur cars on crack. Wicked bouts of engineering genius - don't get me wrong - But they aren't sports cars.

The RX8 is just an insult to an old-time Rotor-head like myself. The RX heritage is destroyed with a 4 seater as Jeep heritage is destroyed by their 2WD, non-offroad intended models. 4 Seats aren't the problem - But it just makes me uncomfortable. The half-doors kinda make up for it in coolness factor though.

This weekend proved to me just how dangerous turbocharged 4 door sedans and wagons can be. A slight mistake on a sanctioned and safety-oriented course was shattered when someone just slipped their foot off the brake while stopping a heavily turboed station wagon.

Family cars and people-haulers mean that you, your friends, your family and loved ones put their very lives in the hands of a (99.99999% of the time) unprofessional and unskilled driver piloting a car that goes way too fast for it's design. A sports car carries passengers, but it only carries one. It's a more personal experience. It's for this reason that I never speed with a passenger.

Could you handle injuring a friend due to a slip up? A death? How about 4 deaths?

Millions of dollars of research went into a $30k car, and the airbags didn't even go off. (I'll go on my anti-airbag rant some other night)

The 350Z is the only car that has maintained it's heritage in design and purpose, of that list. The S2000 won't make your eye's pop out, but it's a great start for Honda. Honda has also made it's own heritage in producing not the fastest cars, but the cars that score the lowest environmental impact and highest gasoline ratings in the world. And the S2000, while being a pretty ballsy production car, still holds to that credo.

Now before I wrap up, I realise I have stated something that has gone hypocritical to my nature. I love Supras, always have. The older the better in my book but besides that point, They are always 4 seaters. My favorite cars of the past are 4 seaters. From the Alpine Renault A110, the Porsche 928, the Firebird.. The list goes on. These cars were made as "performance cars" with an emphasis placed on their forward mobility - But all the mean while designed with intelligent people in mind. Those that realise their place in the world and who recognise the fine art of motoring with friends.

My kind of automotive culture is one based on the freedoms and liberties enjoyed by responsible and considerate people. And the very thought of an SUV that can go 140 mph (Porsche Cayenne) or a turbo-charged wagon that can propel itself so fast that a common driver can't even think before an accident has occured makes me sick. The most guilty I have ranged is in owning the ASC/McLaren TGPs I've owned in the past. But by realising the true potential of the car, it's ability to throw me into a dangerous situation so much faster than a more "pedestrian" car, and my own responsibility to those in the car has sobered me to how I drive, who I am and whom I affect.

I wish I wasn't so alone in my sentiments.

-> Steve

Actually after reading your post, I see where you're coming from on the EVO, WRX and IS300 not being sports cars.

as for honda not yet having a contender, who knows maybe they have something up their sleeve, maybe they don't. Time will tell though. I do like the S2000 but as B stated it doesn't appeal to everyone and I hope honda has some more than just the S2000 on its sports car lineup in the future.

Back