Vista

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

beryl is pretty sweet, one of the guys at work uses it on his primary machine in the office.

gentoo + beryl = a barrel of fun :)

Yeah i just read that anyone with less then 1GB need not apply. 3GB RAM is the sweet spot.

All this DRM shit is swaying me away from loading Vista because I got a lot of media that isnt signed like animes and such. But if its like youknowitbee says, it might just be scary tactics.

BTW, Vista has been hacked already, the Enterprise Edition at least. Setting up servers up in China to take care of all that info collecting. Just give it a few more weeks and itll be all over the net.

lol, why do you think 90% of web hosting companies have an asian ip block. i know we do...sucks to be you if you wanna see your website in south korea.

Yeah i just read that anyone with less then 1GB need not apply. 3GB RAM is the sweet spot.

All this DRM shit is swaying me away from loading Vista because I got a lot of media that isnt signed like animes and such. But if its like youknowitbee says, it might just be scary tactics.

BTW, Vista has been hacked already, the Enterprise Edition at least. Setting up servers up in China to take care of all that info collecting. Just give it a few more weeks and itll be all over the net.

Three.... gigs....

THREE GIGS?!?!?!?!

Are you kidding me?

Code:
Mem:    450632k total,   381444k used,    69188k free,    25460k buffers
Swap:   987988k total,        0k used,   987988k free,   233624k cached

That's with Firefox and several other apps running. It isn't even overflowing half a gig!

3GB of ram is just insane.

lol, i had to end task FF today (just like i have to do every other day at work). 303MBs when i finally had to kill it.

well i think my issue is that i dont restart my computer at work, and i leave the monitor up so when i vpn in, and come in, i can track history on a few servers. So i surf, go to youtube, monitor servers, track tickets, track my work and hit my RSS feeds all through FireFox, and i dont close it until i have to....so it likes to shit on me.

Gentoo and Ubuntu are my distros. They are fuckin hardcore...i used to sing Ubuntu's praises, but Gentoo is growing on me...slowly but surely. I almost feel bad for my new rig....i see at least 3 versions of linux being installed....now if only i could get games to run well under wine. Ill probably just use synergy and use one of my other computers to surf the internet and junk...might even put linux on my laptop again.

Oh and alot of stuff is propaganda... i play all my downloaded music fine. It doesnt distort anything at all. As far as system resources oh well. No matter what vista is the wave of the future, and unfortunatly the next os. XP is good but I like my vista. I guess some idiots will keep windows 2000, because they are scared to leave the os that has treated them so well. Vista in my opinion is pretty freaking good :thumbsup:

Actually it isn't propaganda, more like a masters thesis :). Not that academic work is free from it... It's just that the sources cited support the work and some of those sources were produce by MS themselves.

I think that you will find that Vista is more CPU bound than XP (on top of being a mem hog and GPU bound). Most of this is because it is constantly having to make sure you aren't trying to "steal" content.

I think i'm going to have to do some research on Vista and see how much truth there is in all the monitoring it does. People will find work arounds on it either way, it will just take a little while.

My problem is that even with a workaround, the monitoring will still be there sucking CPU cycles.

fuck vista I just finished uninstalling it from my cad machine fuck bend-tech and solid works both had the thing puking and with 4 gb of ddrs 800 and a 4600 amd dual core. Fuck that and the fact I had to connect it to the internet? Fuck that shit sucks anybody wanna buy a used copy of vista ult

im getting a free copy of vista business from the action pak :) no need for that media center crap.

ok so now im worried, i am going to buy my computer TODAY, and it comes with vista on it. all i am going to use my computer for is gaming, will vista work well with it or should i just go with xp, keep in mind i am very computer illiterate. somebody ease my mind before i have a panic attack. i have never spent this much money on one object at one time before and i don't have the money to just throw away. please just the facts.

Have you thought about building your own machine. If you use it only for hardcore gaming you would be much better off building your own rig and installing the OS of your choice. I would imagine, from the reports here if Vista it self requires 1.5 or more gigs of ram just to run the god damned OS I would imagine it would be rather taxing while playing a game. I am not sure how much you can de tune Vista though. I would do some browsing on the net there and do some research.

EDIT:
I just saw your new post. Scratch that.

I can't remember which review site did the XP-Vista comparison, but their conclusion was that for all games that are DX9 compatible, XP was way better because Video drivers for both AMD/ATI and nVidia were missing functionality.

Back