Vtec VS Non-Vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdrikLongtail

Their has always been a heated debate on If Vtec and boost are good or the Non-Vtec route is more better. Some say the better flow of heads is what makes vtec better when using boost, others say when running 3+ lbs of boost that vtec can go take a hike.Vtec is a great, and beeing able to controle vavle timming and cam timming and everything else with computers is amazing, But man has been using turbo's and superchargers on rat motors (Big blocks) and mouse motors (small blocks) since Era of time but on the other hand, honda's are missing 4 Cylinders thats why people say vtec is their to make up to the lost power.Which do you Believe is better?, Vtec and Boost or Non-Vtec and boost.

Im all for LS and old D series and F20's motors :), Plz keep this civil and not a flame war :unsure:

PS-Use INFO to back up your decision

i personally say, that a TUNED vtec motor will put out more hp than any non-vtec motor. Vtec motors have far more potential overall, boosted or not.

vtec is good at low rpms but when you have an all out race motor
you arnt worried about low rpm running so most racers use vtec eleminator cams

hcivic, you have no idea what you are talking about. vtec killer cams are for all motor setups.

there is NO debate- the VTEC motor will make more power.

however, for the money, an LS setup can be made pretty damn quick for a couple grand cheaper than a gsr setup would be- mostly, initial cost.

no some racers use a similar cam basicly it eliminates the need for the third lobe sorta the same as all time vtec it eliminates the need for the vtec lobe
same as the set up on the new mopar ecotec(sp?)
drag car

i know what vtec killer cams are dude. if you find me one boosted honda running them, who actually runs a respectible time, I'll give you $20, cuz it just doesn't happen

yes but the duration is equal to what it would be on the third lobe but eliminates it

i will go for vtec boosted.
Think it's better then "non vtec turbo"
with turbo cam's maybe.
Calvin

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Jul 7 2003, 02:05 AM
yes but the duration is equal to what it would be on the third lobe but eliminates it

no way. 295 durations + of the killers is WAY too much overlap

Idk, I like the Torque output that the Non-vtec motors put out like i.e (LS motors as been the norm) I just don't see Vtec as much of a power adder then a non-vtec mtor (guess depeneds on the $$$ and personal choice)

eh, its hard to say. but having a b20 non vtec is a big difference to my d16y7! I would like to make more torque than horsepower thats all

Originally posted by EdrikLongtail@Jul 7 2003, 02:38 PM
I just don't see Vtec as much of a power adder then a non-vtec mtor

When you open up the valves for a longer period of time or lift them higher power will be made(to a certain extent). THAT is what Vtec does. Opens up the valves more in the top end. Soooo like it or not, it IS more power

i always thought vtec was extremely over-rated..............until i drove my friends prelude the other day. vtec it is!! no contest :D

hey guys im new to this board also and just wanted to comment about this which also could be considered a question, my friend who i talked to the other day i asked him about the whole vtec and turbo thing and he was sayin that if u have the external controler u can make it so there timed so they dont over lap and i was just wondering about this

Originally posted by bigroy80@Jul 7 2003, 07:32 PM
hey guys im new to this board also and just wanted to comment about this which also could be considered a question, my friend who i talked to the other day i asked him about the whole vtec and turbo thing and he was sayin that if u have the external controler u can make it so there timed so they dont over lap and i was just wondering about this

Hes probably talking about cam gears, the only "controller" you can have to control valve overlap

U can change when Vtec engages, play with fuel curves, etc...but you cant change the overlap of the valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back