1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird sound after lowering car

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by EG_squeegee, Nov 12, 2008.

1. EG_squeegee

EG_squeegee Clean Squeegee

Well i recently dropped my car, washed it, took it around the block to park and got this weird sound coming from the front. I ruled out wet brakes since they were dry by then. I can tuck my hand underneath it and i'm not rubbing anything. But there is a rubbing like sound coming from the front, and its not a constant one either, more like hitting a certain spot on the wheel, the faster i go the faster it is, i know this is a horrible explanation just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

2. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

i still think you are rubbing.

what wheels/brakes/car?

3. newb

newb phresh VIP

Get the car in the air and turn the wheels by hand. When you hear the rubbing start, or the wheel meets some resistance get under and check everything out. Thats the best way to know whats goin on.

4. sittin'on20's

sittin'on20's Sittin'on20's

After lowering it it could possibly be a variety of things...but maybe the cv joints or the front wheel bearings, Have them checked out.

5. sittin'on20's

what size rims you got? 95b16coupe is right you may be rubbing cuz the steets aren't all smooth and stuff you may be hitting little bumps and its making you rub

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  6. EG_squeegee

Ive got 15" factory honda wheels. And it didnt start until tonight, or at least i didnt notice it. I doubt its from hitting bumps, i actually got out of the car and pushed it up and down the street to try and pinpoint where its coming from but to no avail. I'm wondering if it just might be the tires?

7. sittin'on20's

how long has it been lowered?

8. EG_squeegee

9. EG_squeegee

I will say though the front tires are pretty worn, not completely bald but getting there.

10. dacheat

dacheat ..is grounded.

i'd check your wheel bearing(s); i had one making a rubbing noise this spring and got laughed at by a coworker who said "you can't hear when a wheel bearing goes bad" but i could; it was speed-dependent. wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa the faster i went, so did it.

or, maybe you have a slipped brake pad or something rubbing in the rotor/break area?

11. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

if they are worn, thats probably it. take your car in to a shop and have them check it out. tires are one of the first things to cause vibration.

12. EG_squeegee

I dont think its wheel bearings, after another test drive just now i do now think its the tires, cause the sound doesnt change whether im going straight or turning. Now i just found smoke coming from the fan... yay.

13. dacheat

dacheat ..is grounded.

wheel bearing sound wouldn't change whether you're going straight or turning. that's cv joint noise. whatever, good luck ;)

14. EG_squeegee

Actually a bad wheel bearing generally makes a noise more noticable when turning or when going straight, its not the same constant sound like i am experiencing turning and going straight.

15. h22a1stroked

h22a1stroked fullybuilt inc

check the shocks and the cvjoints/bearings

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted