west coast turbo do you trust them

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i looked at the front end of the site and it says they won't be taking orders til march 15? i don't know what year that was it could be 2006 for all i know. . .

NO!!!! DON'T GET THOSE WASTEGATES!!! they come from the same company that sells ssauto crap...the diaphram melts out of them....get one of these ones

TURBOSMART: Ultra-Gate 38 STREET

they are badass. they work great. why do you need a wastegate so large for anyway? will it even work on your setup? check that out first. i've seen many people that go and buy wastegates that are way too big just cause they though bigger is better.

but if i'm running lower boost doesn't that mean more of the exhaust gases need to be bypassed compared to high boost applications

i ran a 40 on my sol with 0 spike issues.

unless you're breaking 400 whp, a 35/38 will be fine.

NEVER never never cheap out on the wastegate. Size isn't nearly as important as a smooth path and RELIABILITY. One stuck wastegate one boost spike = broken shaft on turbo, ask me how!

Isn't it great to have these forums! Some KOs are just fine, in my experience, and some are worthless. But I would also certainly trust other peoples experiences/testing.
My wastegate on my 89 rx7 stuck closed and I hit about 20psi one time and the shaft of the turbo snapped. Luckily, the compressor stayed in place and it was only the exhaust side fan that bounced around at about a million rpms and smashed itself into bits. No engine damage but someone called the cops in my neighborhood because of the smoke when the coolant flooded into the hot exhaust housing. I don't normally go full throttle in my neighborhood but it was after taking the car out of storage after it was warmed up. Once I had it all apart and realized what happened, I simply upgraded the turbo and all was well.

ah, funny story i bet the smoke freaked you the hell out. I would be nearly crying so this is something i may want to avoid. but to keep to my standards i need to not spend more than $200 on a wastegate, i am sure i can find one used for that price that is quality.

I say spend the money and get a Tial or turbosmart wastegate that will save you in the future from boost spikes and over boost issues! More money= better insurance!:D

my daddy always said,"You get what you pay for..."

i'd hope otherwise you are getting ripped off.
another option is you get what you put your time into.

Last edited:
Back