What muffler to use for a 94 dohc del sol?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I ran 2 1/2 because I was gonna go turbo,but never did had no power on take off. So I made some new exhaust from a dynomax race bullet and some 2 1/4 piping from summit. I ran it off of the cat turns and then dmps down in front of the tire on the pass side.Its loud but it sounds good

I am looking for something that will allow my engine to flow better but I don't want anything loud as hell that will rattle my car apart or be annoying on the highway. Does anyone know of a specific muffler that would be a good fit for what I want? I saw some flowmasters on ebay for like 80-100 bucks but I think they are a loud model. I just need some input and advice. I am stock right now besides intake on a b16a2 del sol.
You Should Get Some Megan Exhaust.

I went ahead and ordered a Dynomax super turbo for my del sol, mostly because it seems like it won't be that loud. Thanks for all the input.

I went ahead and ordered a Dynomax super turbo for my del sol, mostly because it seems like it won't be that loud. Thanks for all the input.

But are you going to to anything with the exhaust piping? If you really want a better-flowing exhaust, then consider replacing the piping with something a little bit bigger then stock as well. Most exhaust shops can do this for less then the cost of an expensive brand-name cat-back...

what is the size of the stock piping for a 94 del sol vtec? I thought it was 2 1/4, maybe I'm wrong?

back presssure is always good. wont argue that.
How? When i was in school we were always taught no back pressure is optimum. Because backpressure works against scavenging. Velocity is always good back pressure happens to be an bi-product. the more you can flow with out overly reducing the velocity is what make the best breathing engine's Granted we were building 800hp Nascar motors. But if people have other info please enlighten. I am always willing to learn.

I'd think 2 1/4 (or 60mm) piping would be good for the OP, especially if he has an intake and header. Even then run a stock cat if you want back pressure.

leave it or buy a new one... if not, ur exhaust will get raspy over time

How? When i was in school we were always taught no back pressure is optimum. Because backpressure works against scavenging. Velocity is always good back pressure happens to be an bi-product. the more you can flow with out overly reducing the velocity is what make the best breathing engine's Granted we were building 800hp Nascar motors. But if people have other info please enlighten. I am always willing to learn.

The difference in torque is the main culprit (IMO) You end up loosing some torque (in which Hondas have none to lose) Where a 800hp Nascar motor...it has just a little bit more torque lol and actually makes more hp while torque loss is less relevant in comparison. Just my opinion though

The difference in torque is the main culprit (IMO) You end up loosing some torque (in which Hondas have none to lose) Where a 800hp Nascar motor...it has just a little bit more torque lol and actually makes more hp while torque loss is less relevant in comparison. Just my opinion though
Can you better explain I dont see how torque has to do with Back pressure.

Years ago, when I first got exhaust, I wanted 3" exhaust (I just got rid of a Chevy Pick-up with 3") I was told that it would lose power because the loss of back-pressure would cause the....umm....(for loss of a better word)...'symbiotic relationship' between intake and exhaust pressure which throws off the power curve with a loss of torque. At least that is what was explained to me. The Shop owner who 1st told me may have been fed wrong info but for the last 14yrs I've had the hatch...it always seemed like pretty widely known knowledge that 3" exhaust loses power on a Honda based on loss of back pressure

Years ago, when I first got exhaust, I wanted 3" exhaust (I just got rid of a Chevy Pick-up with 3") I was told that it would lose power because the loss of back-pressure would cause the....umm....(for loss of a better word)...'symbiotic relationship' between intake and exhaust pressure which throws off the power curve with a loss of torque. At least that is what was explained to me. The Shop owner who 1st told me may have been fed wrong info but for the last 14yrs I've had the hatch...it always seemed like pretty widely known knowledge that 3" exhaust loses power on a Honda based on loss of back pressure
See from what ive learned back pressure is bad, velocity is good. Why you wouldnt want a 3" exhaust is because it slows down the speed that the air is traveling through it. I think people may be confusing back pressure for velocity. But then again I could have been taught wrong. What i do know is that either way we look at it we all have the same conclusion 3" on a N/A Honda results in a power loss

See from what ive learned back pressure is bad, velocity is good. Why you wouldnt want a 3" exhaust is because it slows down the speed that the air is traveling through it. I think people may be confusing back pressure for velocity. But then again I could have been taught wrong. What i do know is that either way we look at it we all have the same conclusion 3" on a N/A Honda results in a power loss
Well in this case they are related. A 3" exhaust would cost you velocity, so in a sense, increasing backpressure by going with a smaller exhaust will keep your velocity in the right range. But you are absolutely right, velocity makes/keeps power, not backpressure.

Back