What oil filter and oil do you guys recommend ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I use nothing but OEM filters, I mean come on...they are like what; $5-6? As for oil I've been running Mobile One since I can remember...but for my vitara build im going to start using nothing but Castol GTX because its cheap as fuck and who really cares.

Were not driving F1 cars here...

i am picking up 5 royal puroples......k&n filter and a magnetic drain plug...........for 60 bucks!!!!

I use nothing but OEM filters, I mean come on...they are like what; $5-6? As for oil I've been running Mobile One since I can remember...but for my vitara build im going to start using nothing but Castol GTX because its cheap as fuck and who really cares.

Were not driving F1 cars here...

word, and Castrol GTX is pretty decent oil.

Ya pretty much...

I mean, like I said, we are dealing with Hondas here. You are not going to notice any difference if you run Castrol GTX or if you decided you wanted to be a bad ass and run Royal Purple....and if you do notice a difference, you have bigger problems to deal with :)

its not that much more expensive.......and its a daily driver that i have a good amount of time/money into. so a few more bucks for my peace of mind is not that big of a deal. jsut prefrence........ its not like 100's of dollar differances here. 10 buck or so.

Peace of mind? What peace of mind does Royal Purple and K&N oil filters give you?

just what i said.......peace of mind. probly the same that not using it gives you? oh yeah where are you from? and what set up are we running?

what do you drive.........by we i meant you.......

Peace of mind? What peace of mind does Royal Purple and K&N oil filters give you?

I tend to agree with this?

What exactly does running Royal and K&N filters give you? I am not trying to be a dick but isn't it kind of along the same lines as running a higher ocatane than what your engine specs out at? You don't really get the benefit from the extra money spent from the higher octane. What benifit do you see from spending more on one brand vs another? Especially if you are changing the oil at 3000 miles all the time.

Pretty much every major brand has the SAE/API doughnut on it so you know you are getting a quality oil to 3000 miles. I don't see why you would spend the extra cash unless you have some super built engine, push it hard or have some horrible driving conditions. Like I said I am not trying to be a dick but unless you can explain to me what "piece of mind" is I think you are wasting your cash - which is entirely your perogative to do.

Ya pretty much...

I mean, like I said, we are dealing with Hondas here. You are not going to notice any difference if you run Castrol GTX or if you decided you wanted to be a bad ass and run Royal Purple....and if you do notice a difference, you have bigger problems to deal with :)

you dont run royal purple to be a bad ass, you run it to get every last drop quality out of it. kind of like running a STP oil filter over a K&N, or maybe 87 pump over 100 race gas.

I tend to agree with this?

What exactly does running Royal and K&N filters give you? I am not trying to be a dick but isn't it kind of along the same lines as running a higher ocatane than what your engine specs out at? You don't really get the benefit from the extra money spent from the higher octane. What benifit do you see from spending more on one brand vs another? Especially if you are changing the oil at 3000 miles all the time.

Pretty much every major brand has the SAE/API doughnut on it so you know you are getting a quality oil to 3000 miles. I don't see why you would spend the extra cash unless you have some super built engine, push it hard or have some horrible driving conditions. Like I said I am not trying to be a dick but unless you can explain to me what "piece of mind" is I think you are wasting your cash - which is entirely your perogative to do.

Most people would notice that most oil foams up at higher RPM and that causes it to be less efficient on the lubrication side. royal purple dosent foam up as bad. Also why wouldnt you want a higher quality oil on a engine that hits 5-8k every day?

oh and I dont change the oil every 3k miles, royal purple goes longer than that on a clean engine. I keep mine in for 5-6k miles, sometimes 7k miles depending on how I drive and the color/texture/smell of the oil.

I've heard a lot of "bad" about RP, well mainly compared to other synthetics(plenty of good info on Bobistheoilguy). I just ran their transmission fluid and honestly didn't work well for me(90 Accord LX)...I ended up switching to Pennzoil.

they dont make trans fluid for hondas, they want you to use 5w30 for honda. Im usig the syncromesh and honestly I dont like it myself. Im gonna go back to GM/honda MTF mix.

Never had a problem with the oil, been running it for about 2-3 years. so far the only company i have had trouble with is mobil1. came out really thick, dark, and smelled like burnt copper in just 3k miles of mostly highway driving.

Honestly I use it because I have never had a problem with it and lasts 6k miles with no issues. I like it and it works for me.

They make Synchromax or something like that. It worked fine when I first put it in but when the weather got cold it would start grinding. Pennzoil fixed that problem. As for MTF, I believe their formula changed to fit the needs of the newer transmissions(I think the bottles are different too, it's been a while). On my Civic I actually use Amsoil and it works very well; we'll see how it does once I get carbon-lined synchros in there. :)

I actually had problems with Mobil filters; when I bought them they had metal shavings from the threading.

Back