What oil filter and oil do you guys recommend ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i didnt know production is atopping next year. people i know that work there dont tell me that and i dont pay attention to the news about what they do there year to year. i know they will be doing something there for tears to come. but they fly shit all night and day there. i hear alot more sonic booms lately than normal. i see planes next to some of the larger hangers that have a few MPs garding them but i dont know what they are but they dont look like the f22 from my very ameture airplane eye. i'm guessin its a revised version of the f22 or its one of the X planes theyre fling there. they seem to have X everything lately...like up to X35 i think

It might be the f-35 I know it just completed a hovering landing the other day. My dad was ecstatic. more ecstatic when they finally finished the f22

It might be the f-35 I know it just completed a hovering landing the other day. My dad was ecstatic. more ecstatic when they finally finished the f22
yeah the X35 is one of the planes they have been test flying around hear lately. it could be approved and ready for production now. have you seen it fly? up the road by my house as you head into town here the runway at plant 42 runs left to right across the road. i've seen a plane on take off just pull up off the funway and then instantly pull like ...ummm alot of G's and go straight up. that looks pretty weird when you first see it. ag yeah--and if you dont know, the X planes are experemental planes. when they hit production for the DOD as fighter planes they become F planes. i know this but not too much more like your dad passibly. dont know if youre into planes and know a ton more about aircraft so i thought i'd mention that for you and all us other members reading this who might be lost in aircraft talk

Haha, Its all good dude i understand about 90% percent of all the plane aspects you all talk about. I inherited that from my dad.

I saw it do a hovering takeoff on the computer. But i havent yet seen it land which reminds me to ask him if he has the video yet. My dad is a control systems engineer for Pratt&Whitney. Currently working on the JSF project. Thats I how I learn most of the things I know about planes.

Anyway about that oil. I use Penzoil 5w-30 and a Fram filter

you know, when it comes to a rather simple issue like oil, i think we will never agree which is better. there are too many issues in each of our lives that are different which makes each of us different and effects what we buy and use. take me for example....i use castrol 10-30 in my rides unless the manufacturer calls for a different grade. why castrol? simple-my dad used castrol in his hot rods as i was growing up. so now that i buy my own oil, why not try something else? maybe i like the colors on the castrol products. maybe i like that castrol sends me free stuff like banners for my shop, key chains, stickers and hats. i really dont know. but i know i wont use anything else but castrol.

i didnt know production is atopping next year. people i know that work there dont tell me that and i dont pay attention to the news about what they do there year to year. i know they will be doing something there for tears to come. but they fly shit all night and day there. i hear alot more sonic booms lately than normal. i see planes next to some of the larger hangers that have a few MPs garding them but i dont know what they are but they dont look like the f22 from my very ameture airplane eye. i'm guessin its a revised version of the f22 or its one of the X planes theyre fling there. they seem to have X everything lately...like up to X35 i think

Read more news then. ;) What you think is the X35 is now the F35.

Yup, saw that video on the internal news page. I don't know if there's a public version of the video yet. For us inside the company, the F35 landing is definitely a huge thing since it's the one that's going to be produced in large quantity, unlike the F22 now. :(

yeah the X35 is one of the planes they have been test flying around hear lately. it could be approved and ready for production now. have you seen it fly? up the road by my house as you head into town here the runway at plant 42 runs left to right across the road. i've seen a plane on take off just pull up off the funway and then instantly pull like ...ummm alot of G's and go straight up. that looks pretty weird when you first see it. ag yeah--and if you dont know, the X planes are experemental planes. when they hit production for the DOD as fighter planes they become F planes. i know this but not too much more like your dad passibly. dont know if youre into planes and know a ton more about aircraft so i thought i'd mention that for you and all us other members reading this who might be lost in aircraft talk

I think you're working on a lot of assumption and hearsay "knowledge." I was out on the F35 production line with the VP of the program just last month. It's pretty damn sweet. As far as the vertical maneuvers, the F35 and especially the F22 can do some pretty sweet stuff. Google up the F22 "hover" videos. It can basically do what looks like a tail stand- it's really moving up at about 70mph, but from the ground it looks like it's just hanging vertically.

Haha, Its all good dude i understand about 90% percent of all the plane aspects you all talk about. I inherited that from my dad.

I saw it do a hovering takeoff on the computer. But i havent yet seen it land which reminds me to ask him if he has the video yet. My dad is a control systems engineer for Pratt&Whitney. Currently working on the JSF project. Thats I how I learn most of the things I know about planes.

Anyway about that oil. I use Penzoil 5w-30 and a Fram filter

The F35B is a STOVL- short takeoff, vertical landing. It can hover up and down, but it's not meant to take off in a straight hover like the Harrier.

you know, when it comes to a rather simple issue like oil, i think we will never agree which is better. there are too many issues in each of our lives that are different which makes each of us different and effects what we buy and use. take me for example....i use castrol 10-30 in my rides unless the manufacturer calls for a different grade. why castrol? simple-my dad used castrol in his hot rods as i was growing up. so now that i buy my own oil, why not try something else? maybe i like the colors on the castrol products. maybe i like that castrol sends me free stuff like banners for my shop, key chains, stickers and hats. i really dont know. but i know i wont use anything else but castrol.

Oil is far from simple. All you have to do it start looking up tests that show all the different properties of different kinds of oil- how the additives in different formulations work, what the shear characteristics are, how much engine wear shows up in the oil when it's analyzed after an oil change- there are SO many factors that go into choosing the right oil for your car that's it's FAR from simple.

Read more news then. ;) What you think is the X35 is now the F35.

Yup, saw that video on the internal news page. I don't know if there's a public version of the video yet. For us inside the company, the F35 landing is definitely a huge thing since it's the one that's going to be produced in large quantity, unlike the F22 now. :(

I think you're working on a lot of assumption and hearsay "knowledge." I was out on the F35 production line with the VP of the program just last month. It's pretty damn sweet. As far as the vertical maneuvers, the F35 and especially the F22 can do some pretty sweet stuff. Google up the F22 "hover" videos. It can basically do what looks like a tail stand- it's really moving up at about 70mph, but from the ground it looks like it's just hanging vertically.

The F35B is a STOVL- short takeoff, vertical landing. It can hover up and down, but it's not meant to take off in a straight hover like the Harrier.

Oil is far from simple. All you have to do it start looking up tests that show all the different properties of different kinds of oil- how the additives in different formulations work, what the shear characteristics are, how much engine wear shows up in the oil when it's analyzed after an oil change- there are SO many factors that go into choosing the right oil for your car that's it's FAR from simple.
about the oil annalysis, do you know where i can get a kit to do this myself? or do you know precisely what equipment is needed for an oil analysis? i realize i most likely dont have the full knowledge and experience to be accurate myself but this is something that having the equipment to do this is a start. i have looked for such kits and equipment to do this for customers to show them what is happening in their engines and to sell them a different brand of oil. after doing such tests myself i may change my oil brand myself if tests prove something beneficial from another brand. i would also like to start a database to allow testing used oil from an oil change to prove an engine is due for a rebuild to customers. something more than just the regular high mileage, loss of compression, etc. and testing would possibly allow me to advise a rebuild based on engine wear and oil analysis results without me having to pull a head off. you can probably see from just issues like this that i go above and beyond regular services from a regular shop. as to what i get from looking into oil test results that are available now, where can i find test results? as of now i get alot of test results but my sources are from the oil manufacterers themselves--yes i actually call their offices and speak to their engineers. so i dont believe most of what they tell me--its all ment to get me to buy their oil, in my mind. none of these companies have offered to invite me to their facilities to see for myself any test results. i have even offered to pay my own way and pay the company for the guys time for the day...like 500 bucks should cover his or her pay for the day. but to this day i've had no takers from mobil one, royal purple, or castrol or amsoil. and i am a dealer for castrol and amsoil.

I seriously doubt any of the engine oil companies are going to want to publish concrete data about their oils. They do well enough through advertising and customer loyalty to not want to screw things up by showing that one is definitely better than the other- then all but one company would die out. It would be kind of like Energizer and Duracell posting up real mAH capacity ratings for their batteries. They just won't do it.

All of the test results I've seen have been through independent research by people on the forums who really care about what ends up in their oil after a few thousand miles. Hunt around the SCCA forums, NASA forums, Honda-Tech, LS1tech etc- you'll find it. As far as testing places:

Google

I would add the cheapest 10w50 lol :D

oil is oil and gas is gas right?? detergent vs non detergent right? all the same stuff? mineral vs synthetic?
Let me just clear these up real quick. It's not directed towards you, so please don't take it that way. It's just that a lot of people think the same things...

Anyway, when a car is pretty much taking a crap, the worse thing you can do is switch to a thicker oil. Putting 10w-50 in a car that originally calls for 5w-30 would speed up the process on that engine dying. It 'may' help the burning part but it will destroy your bearings. Thicker oil digs grooves into your bearing. Think about originally being shot with 50psi of water(5w-30), then all of a sudden 50psi of lotion(10w-50)...

About mineral/conventional vs synthetic, both start with the same base. It's the actual detergents and additives that set separate them. So switching from conventional to synthetic isn't about the oil itself, it's about getting the better detergents and additives.

On to the topic - I stopped using Fram once I seen a Fram oil filter catch on fire. Apparently that black grip stuff melted on this guys car and caught on fire lol. I haven't heard of it happening to anyone else but I sure as hell don't want to be that someone else lol.

My Mazda gets an STP filter and Castrol Syntec. I run an STP because the box says it won't void your warranty lol, and because they are one of the few brands that make style filter. It's that drop-in style or what ever you call it lol. It's not the spin on type. I also run Castrol Syntec because it was all AutoZone had left in 5w-20 when I went. They only had like 1 quart of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w-20. So I just stuck with the Castrol.

I did the first oil change on my GSR a few weeks ago and I ran a K & N Filter with Castrol 5w-30 High Mileage. I went with the K & N Filter because I get a discount on all K & N products through school. Once i'm done with school and lose my discount, i'll more than likely switch to Mobil 1 or OEM. I went with the Castrol 5w-30 High Mileage because I had a quart left over from an oil change I did on my mother-in-law's car. I have an oil pan leak so the shit is going to leak out anyway lol. Once I change the pan gasket in the next couple of weeks, I plan on switching to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic or Castrol Syntec.

just my $0.02...

I seriously doubt any of the engine oil companies are going to want to publish concrete data about their oils. They do well enough through advertising and customer loyalty to not want to screw things up by showing that one is definitely better than the other- then all but one company would die out. It would be kind of like Energizer and Duracell posting up real mAH capacity ratings for their batteries. They just won't do it.

All of the test results I've seen have been through independent research by people on the forums who really care about what ends up in their oil after a few thousand miles. Hunt around the SCCA forums, NASA forums, Honda-Tech, LS1tech etc- you'll find it. As far as testing places:

Google
welll i definately agree with you on the fact that companies have customer loyalty already and dont want to publish evidence on their oils. i call and ask technical questions to try to get answers by asking questions indirectly like asking about techcical issues on another company. i know they are gonna tell me how their oil is better and why and possibly bad mouth that company but thats their business you know...then i'll call that company and ask about the other companies claims and round and round we go. i'll wait a while before calling a company back to cross verify again but its kinda like this thread right now only i'm taliking to the manufacturers.
man i wish companies were more like me in that if i cant do something in my shop for a customer i send thm somewhere they can get the job done right if i know of a place. like transmissions. i service them and put in clutches and i can rebuild some but i just dont do them here. if i did one then word of mouth spreads an then i get people wanting all kinds of transmissions done. i do tell them if they want me working on their car and me only that i will pull their trans and send it to a good shop i know and i can sub out the job of rebuilding but at least i'm honest. it would be cool if an oil company could say their oil protects best in aplications such as high rpm engines but if its a cold environment area then their oil wont work as well as another company's.

Let me just clear these up real quick. It's not directed towards you, so please don't take it that way. It's just that a lot of people think the same things...

Anyway, when a car is pretty much taking a crap, the worse thing you can do is switch to a thicker oil. Putting 10w-50 in a car that originally calls for 5w-30 would speed up the process on that engine dying. It 'may' help the burning part but it will destroy your bearings. Thicker oil digs grooves into your bearing. Think about originally being shot with 50psi of water(5w-30), then all of a sudden 50psi of lotion(10w-50)...

About mineral/conventional vs synthetic, both start with the same base. It's the actual detergents and additives that set separate them. So switching from conventional to synthetic isn't about the oil itself, it's about getting the better detergents and additives.

not true, 10w50 is just about the same thickness as 10w30 when engine is at operating temp. 10w50 actually prevents wear to the rod/ bearings because of its higher tension strength.

"the significant feature of synthetic oil is that it has been polymerized, chemically altered to combine small molecules into larger long chain molecules. These larger molecules tend to line up in more orderly fashion between working mechanical surfaces to provide a slightly tougher protective layer with a little less friction. "

so detergents and additives are not the only differences.

not true, 10w50 is just about the same thickness as 10w30 when engine is at operating temp. 10w50 actually prevents wear to the rod/ bearings because of its higher tension strength.

"the significant feature of synthetic oil is that it has been polymerized, chemically altered to combine small molecules into larger long chain molecules. These larger molecules tend to line up in more orderly fashion between working mechanical surfaces to provide a slightly tougher protective layer with a little less friction. "

so detergents and additives are not the only differences.
If they were close to the same thickness, they wouldn't make that particular grade. 10-30 and 10-50 are the same thickness when cold but at operating temp, there are molecules/additives that make the oil act as the higher number/grade.

As far as actual numbers go, sure they might not be far off to 'us' but your motor and bearings say other wise. When dealing with such tight clearances that we are now running in our motors, even the slightest variance in viscosity is crucial.

As far as detergents and additives go, maybe I worded it wrong. I didn't mean it was the 'only' difference... Let me talk to the Royal Purple rep and a few instructors at school, maybe they can help me word this properly... I'll get back to ya lol...

Back