1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what ratio pistons???

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by bvtec, Jan 15, 2004.

1. bvtec

bvtec Senior Member

hi
    here i am again with a question for u honda professionals. i wanted to know what ratio of low comp pistons do i need for my project civic b16a2 turbo,i am wanting to run abt 350 whp and approx 15-17 psi,i was gonna settle for the 9.01 when a friend said id need at least 8.5.1 the lower the better he was suggesting 8.0.so im now confused???
    so can u resolve the issue plz what ratio is best .???
    thanks for ure help :D

2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

to run 17 psi, you're going to need a 3-bar map sensor, as the oem one tops out at ~ 10psi
    to run a 3-bar map, you need a hondata or other EMS unit.

you have a goal of 350 whp- thats fine. but don't make psi a goal too. use psi to reach a goal. you build a motor for a power level, not a pressure lelvel. a normal t3/t4 (like the one found in the drag and revhard kits) will get you there on about the 17 psi you mention, give or take motor setup... but a larger turbo could easily get you there on 10.

What ratio is best, is really user preference. the higher the compression you go, the less lag and more off-boost (vacuum) power you will have.

IMO, 9:1 is well suited for higher horsepower cars (400+)
    with 9.5:1-10:1 being great for street setups in the 250-350 range.

the lower compression you go, the more boost you will have to run to make the same power as a higher compression motor. But- too much compression = no room for boost to get in. so, generally, i'd say low 10's is the highest you want to go- but again, there's boosted ITR's on 11:1 making 300+ whp off 5-6 psi t3/t04e's.

So really, its your own choice- but in a torque=-starved b16, i'd be looking at 9.5:1 pistons, a hondata, and some 550-720cc injectors

3. bvtec

bvtec Senior Member

hmm.. thx pissedsol
    how much boost can i run on the standard engine without damaging it i think the comp on these b16a2 is something like 10.4.1.
    because im gonna buy the pistons and rods in abt 1-2 month so im thinking in the mean while i just put the turbo on..
    thx

4. mjfubar

mjfubar Member

some people say u can run 10 to 12 but i think they are fucking crazy i had stock internals on my turbo b16 with t3t4 and i ran 7 or 8 max. but pissedoffsol is right shoot for a hp goal not a psi i myself am goin for at least 350 hp. i went with 10.1 JE pistons and eagle rods. with hondata and 550cc injectors. i just had a problem with my aem fuel regulator where the diaphram broke and fuel was all fucked up but its getting fixed now

5. turbocrx2.0l

turbocrx2.0l Member

6. NotUrAverage_Si

NotUrAverage_Si Senior Member

:werd:

B's right about the bigger the turbo, the less you'll have to boost to reach your goal. the turbo I'm using is pretty big and as soon as I figure out how to brace it and the manifold just right for the installation on Saturday, I hope to have pictures up. btw, stock b16 rods are fine to use.

7. bvtec

bvtec Senior Member

so you reckon that a t4 turbo will be better than the t3/t4 turbo,i heard that with t4 you suffer alot of lag.
    and by the way whats a ball bearing turbo,i have the option on one of those ??? ;)

8. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

i dont think you need a t4, no.

you're missing the point that theres 32312 kinds of t3/t4's

theres t3/t04b .48/.63 turbos that are tiny.
    then, theres t3t04s .70/1.2 turbos that flow close to what a garett t66 is capable of.

ball bearing option, IMO, is overrated. it will incraese your spool time by about 400 rpms. for the extra $1000 that they cost (real ball bearing turbos, like the garret gt35 center), its so not worth it. you're below your spool point in- 1st gear. thats it. if you fall far out of boost on shifts- you have the wrong tranny, or the wrong tire size, or simply just don't know how to drive.

all taht said, on a b16, a 350 whp goal is pretty easy to get.... but i wouldn't be doing it on stock internals- tuned or not. not in a daily driver. but that's me. i hate the idea of cracking a sleeve and getting stranded. so i sleeved my block.

basically, it all comes down to this:

your budget
    how much risk are you willing to take
    and the give and take back and forth between the two.

me, i risked next to nothing, and blew 15 grand in the process.

others have spent 4, and probably make similar power.

but whos going to blow up... i mean, we all do :) its just a matter of time... but how MUCH time. thats a decision on you can make.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted