WHAT THE CRAP>.... ECU under carpet

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Just curious, what does the label on the side of your ECU say?

If you wind up needing a virgin P28, I have one, BUT, it's for an automatic so I don't think it will be what you're looking for.

He said the label was taken off. That definitely looks like a OBD1 ECU. I think it says what it is on the inside though, like open it up and it should be on the board. Since VTEC was hooked up it may possibly be a P06 ECU.

That's just a single solenoid, the broken connector is the oil pressure switch. This is what the dual solenoids look like:
dual_solenoid_2.jpg

He said the label was taken off. That definitely looks like a OBD1 ECU. I think it says what it is on the inside though, like open it up and it should be on the board. Since VTEC was hooked up it may possibly be a P06 ECU.

That's just a single solenoid, the broken connector is the oil pressure switch. This is what the dual solenoids look like:

I didn't want to open it up and potentially void a warranty they will hopefully have. However, that may be the next necessary step. Although for a stock ecu, could I just pull one from another 91 hatch?

Thanks again man, you are an encyclopedia indeed. So now that I know the pressure is the broken part it makes sense why the oil light is always on. Where should this be connected to?

There is another loose wire that I'm trying to figure out where it needs to be connected to. It appears to come straight off the vtec solenoid
38321440010_large.jpg

Last edited:
oil light shouldnt be on, you should just get a check engine light.

your oil pressure sensor might be unpluged or broken.

oil light shouldnt be on, you should just get a check engine light.

your oil pressure sensor might be unpluged or broken.

Isn't the broken green switch the sensor?

And yes, the check engine light is on as well.

This is from the failed emissions:

"There are stored trouble codes relating to the V-TEC pressure solenoid"

"The check engine light and oil pressure light appear to be wired together"

So I need to see where they are wired at.

Last edited:
You have a VTEC solenoid and VTEC oil pressure plugs in the picture. I believe the green one (broken one) is the oil pressure.

You have a VTEC solenoid and VTEC oil pressure plugs in the picture. I believe the green one (broken one) is the oil pressure.

sorry to ask the dumb question, but is there a different sensor for the vtec pressure and normal engine pressure?

I am pretty sure that you have a SOHC VTEC solenoid. Not sure what you are asking though. VTEC oil pressure will have its own code if that is what you are asking. The quotes you did (a few posts up) are the CEL codes you pulled? I would get the wiring/plugs fixed at the solenoid and go from there.

I am pretty sure that you have a SOHC VTEC solenoid. Not sure what you are asking though. VTEC oil pressure will have its own code if that is what you are asking. The quotes you did (a few posts up) are the CEL codes you pulled? I would get the wiring/plugs fixed at the solenoid and go from there.

yes, it is SOHC

Those were the CEL codes. I didn't pay attention to the fact that the inspector wrote the oil pressure and check engine light are wired together.

Sorry for the retardation...

If you pull the ECU out, you can catch a glimpse of a sticker containing the ecu code on the top of the connectors.

Like this:
iPhonePicturesECUPaint.jpg

Sorry it's a shitty picture I took real quick lol. I circled the part of the connector I was telling you to look at. This ECU is obd0 so yours will look a little different but the sticker should be above the connector like this ^

Yes, VTEC oil pressure switch and oil pressure sensor are different. The oil pressure sensor is behind the block near the oil filter(1 wire plug). The wire coming off the solenoid is the VTEC signal wire itself and has to be wired directly to the ECU(no USDM 88-91 Civic/CRX had VTEC).

If you pull a ECU from another 88-91 Civic, it needs to be MPFI(unless you're willing to switch to DPFI); so either a CRX HF or Si model. Though, with the 88-91 ECU, you don't have to hook up VTEC since those ECUs don't look for it anyway or are able to actuate it.

so if the car operates without the vtec connected, I imagine it will run quite a bit cleaner once that is reconnected?

deadhooker, thank you for this thread. i have the same sitch in my new-to-me GSR-swapped CRX. still sorting out what i have and what isn't working, and your questions + the awesome technical knowledge these guys are sharing (thank you guys, too!) is helping me sort my own ride out.

:thumbsup:

deadhooker, thank you for this thread. i have the same sitch in my new-to-me GSR-swapped CRX. still sorting out what i have and what isn't working, and your questions + the awesome technical knowledge these guys are sharing (thank you guys, too!) is helping me sort my own ride out.

:thumbsup:

glad I can help someone feel less retarded :D

If you pull a ECU from another 88-91 Civic, it needs to be MPFI(unless you're willing to switch to DPFI); so either a CRX HF or Si model. Though, with the 88-91 ECU, you don't have to hook up VTEC since those ECUs don't look for it anyway or are able to actuate it.

So can't he run a P28 with the D15B VTEC basemap? (I am actually wondering if its different anyways) That way he has the luxury of VTEC too? Or the JDM correct ECU should be easily available too?

OP: Can you take a picture of the bar code on the ECU? Maybe even take the top off (5 Phillip's screws) and take a picture of that?

SST chip om the bottom right....thats a standard chip with some program on it. Sadly, I dont know enough but have heard you can re-write it if needed. Now I'm curious what the fuel map and air/fuel ratio is.

I also noticed it has an OBD1 distributor, meaning this must have been converted over to obd1, and not smog legal in CA anymore if using a jumper harness

I would figure that motor will smog pretty easy....it wont BAR but I cant see someone worried about a SOHC motor in a EF. Cops can be an ass but can't see some smog guy knowing more (but I must admit its different in nor-cal). I have been smoging DOHC motors in my EGg since 2000 without a BAR certification. Just did it...but it didn't pass at idle (b/c I found out I too have a chipped ECU!) Passed visual like no ones business.

Back