When you drive by the gas station...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

you know, i was hoping my ethanol comment would spark some comments, so i could reply with "actually i was reading in popular science that saab in europe made a dual fuel turbo 9-3 that can run on either gas or ethanol (straight ethanol). and b/c ethanol is like 115 octane, they were able to run more boost and make more power with the same fuel mileage."

but since no-one said anything, there it is. :D

I know I post about the gas prices...cuz it's just something to talk about...

I'm not really butthurt about haveing to pay more...yes it does hurt, but I still have to drive 30+ miles to get to work...so I have a few fuel effecient cars for that...the other cars are play cars on the week-ends...and rarely get used.. SO I still got to buy gas...and ohh well. That also means I'll have to be like everyone else...and cutback on other items that I go shopping for, after Walmart and all the other big companies start to get hurt from lack of customers, due to they have no more money to spend on fun items or some of the higher priced items, and they still have to truck all the products to the store, but the store won't make as much money as before...then they will complain...and the cycle will continue.

I highly doubt that Bush is the main guy to make all the money from all this gas. Come on and get real....if that was the case...then just today alone he made 15 billion dollars...and I'm really sure that the IRS would catch that lump of money going into his account.

IT's a basic supply and demand deal....some of the supply got cut when the war started, and now another supply line is cut...and with everyone and their brother owning cars...the demand is high....so price goes up. Sure the future will have better forms of engines and transportation...look at E...he's loving all this.

Point is...there is no reason to start wanting to kill people over a something as lame as higher gas prices...if they start a revolt..it's not going to do any good. Naming one person for all this mess is also lame...where the proof, show me in a fully poven document that he is the one that profits the most from this and everything else that people claim him to be. Claims, rumors, here-say...are not FACT.

Sadly, the price on everything will go up...and that's everything...from fruits, to plane tickets...if it needs gas to get to us...then it will get a surcharge. And the real sad thing is...all the prices go up...but our paychecks stay the same...unless your lucking and you work at a place that gives you COLA, and that doesn't really offset anything but about a pack of cigs...

I still look at it that we are still doing decent....other countries have it worse...hell...some people in the world don't even have internet access...or even a computer to hook up to the internet...so think about that before you start planning the next Boston Gas Party... Last time I was in Japan...normal gas was 125 yen per liter... And thats about $5.00 a gallon....

heres a link to probably the most objective explaination of gas prices out there
explains the actual cause and effect issues, instead of the tin foil hat conspiracy theory bullshit

http://money.howstuffworks.com/gas-price.htm

demand and usage (gas guzzling assholes) goes up = price goes up
millitary conflicts in parts of the world with lots of oil supplies = more difficult to drill and ship oil = price goes up
OPEC cuts production = price goes up
hurricane shuts down / damages oil platforms = price goes up
hurricane shuts down / damages oil refineries = price goes up
hurricane shuts down / damages recieving ports = price goes up

the hurricane effects will be temporary, once the damage can be assessed, and the platforms, refineries, and ports, get back up and running, this last increase will go away

even the risk of lowered supplies will raise fuel prices, and seeing that a LOT of our gas comes from the gulf and most of our refineries are near the gulf, this hurricane could have a HUGE effect on our fuel supply... so companies have jacked the fuck out of prices

ease up on the driving for a week or two, once the supply and refinement issues from this storm are addressed you will see the prices drop back down to something more reasonable

if people would stop driving gas guzzlers all over the fucking place, gas prices would go down a LOT
if some sort of stability returns to the middle east, gas prices will go down a LOT
if we increased our own production, OPEC would be forced to lower their prices, gas prices would go down

I just wish the government would release the water powered vehicles they have been working on for years .....

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 31 2005, 10:44 PM
just got gas tonight at sunoco...

2.99 for 87
2.19 for 89
2.25 for 91
2.37 for 93

cost me $38 to 3/4 fill the sti on 93....

that should last me about 3 or 4 days....
[post=548105]Quoted post[/post]​

Ride a bike to work lazy ass....its only a 2.5 mile ride

Originally posted by Airjockie@Sep 1 2005, 01:06 AM
I know I post about the gas prices...cuz it's just something to talk about...

I'm not really butthurt about haveing to pay more...yes it does hurt, but I still have to drive 30+ miles to get to work...so I have a few fuel effecient cars for that...the other cars are play cars on the week-ends...and rarely get used.. SO I still got to buy gas...and ohh well. That also means I'll have to be like everyone else...and cutback on other items that I go shopping for, after Walmart and all the other big companies start to get hurt from lack of customers, due to they have no more money to spend on fun items or some of the higher priced items, and they still have to truck all the products to the store, but the store won't make as much money as before...then they will complain...and the cycle will continue.

I highly doubt that Bush is the main guy to make all the money from all this gas. Come on and get real....if that was the case...then just today alone he made 15 billion dollars...and I'm really sure that the IRS would catch that lump of money going into his account.

IT's a basic supply and demand deal....some of the supply got cut when the war started, and now another supply line is cut...and with everyone and their brother owning cars...the demand is high....so price goes up. Sure the future will have better forms of engines and transportation...look at E...he's loving all this.

Point is...there is no reason to start wanting to kill people over a something as lame as higher gas prices...if they start a revolt..it's not going to do any good. Naming one person for all this mess is also lame...where the proof, show me in a fully poven document that he is the one that profits the most from this and everything else that people claim him to be. Claims, rumors, here-say...are not FACT.

Sadly, the price on everything will go up...and that's everything...from fruits, to plane tickets...if it needs gas to get to us...then it will get a surcharge. And the real sad thing is...all the prices go up...but our paychecks stay the same...unless your lucking and you work at a place that gives you COLA, and that doesn't really offset anything but about a pack of cigs...

I still look at it that we are still doing decent....other countries have it worse...hell...some people in the world don't even have internet access...or even a computer to hook up to the internet...so think about that before you start planning the next Boston Gas Party... Last time I was in Japan...normal gas was 125 yen per liter... And thats about $5.00 a gallon....
[post=548178]Quoted post[/post]​

AH ! This is refreshing - My favorite Clayton post. I knew ya were on my side :)

As far as the Ethanol thing - Make it your goal to make it available ! Start thinking of how you can live in the coming hard-times. Think about ways to make it better for those around you. These are all good.

The problem with hydrogen is that there isn't any pure H2 just sitting around for us to use, it's takes alot of energy to seperate H2 from H2O in the first place. Until we can come up with some kind of mass solar or nuclear electrolosis system, hydrogen is still a net loss in energy.

I've also heard reports that ethanol from corn is actually a slight net loss in energy too, thanks to the harvesting, processing, refining, transportation, storage, and other processes required to obtain it. Once again, without a solar or nuclear base, it costs more energy to create ethanol than it provides.

At the base of it all, everything still relies on those dead dinosaurs. :(

Nuclear fuel is also very finite - And difficult to handle. Solar power, wind power, and Iceland's thermo-volcanic sources are really what's going to see us through this.

But we need a population die-off. And we haven't seen one in over a 100 years or so. WWI and II were our last.

We need to lose about 500,000 in our country alone to make this all make sense. Which is why the solutions are prolly best left till after a huge uprising / military operation or plague.

This type of person, luxury, and energy ratio has no way of sustaining itself. And I don't think that Electricity will get a space ship off the ground. Or was that another thread. Shit, I forget. I should go do something else for a while.

Damn it, it spiked from $2.50 or so up to $2.99 for 89, its $3.15 for 93.

I got word last night that it was going to spike another .30 cents again, last night and it did. Its gone up .50 cents in two days. bullshit.

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 31 2005, 03:14 PM
In reality, there is no shortage. What we are seeing here is the free markets controlling the price based on demand. Also, the store is never supposed to run out of Ice Cream. He will just raise the prices until people can't afford it - And they bring it. This is basically price gouging, but it's been working for a long time.

Isn't this what I posted verbatim in another thread and you disagreed?

Originally posted by Airjockie@Aug 31 2005, 03:16 PM
I'm at least glad I'm not driving the Jeep anymore...at 16 miles a gallon...it sucked up too much money...

I foresee all the people that spent big bucks for the huge SUV's will be wanting to buy cheap little hondas now...

I ought to see what my little civic could sell for...$1000 OBO...hehe

I already have an offer for $700....

quik...put back your stock motors and stuff back into your cars...there may be a big booming bussiness for the neglected, made fun of little honda again....

time to find an 87 CRX HF...fully stock and restored....54 MPG sounds good now..

and sadly 3 years ago...gas was only like $1.50 a gal around here...
[post=547911]Quoted post[/post]​

Are you kidding, the summer before I started driving 4 years ago brought gas prices of a whopping .87-.89 cents, then I get driving and the shit hits the fan.

Just paid $3.41 for 92 in central PA. Thank god the only time I need my car is to run to the grocery store.

I remember when I moved to CT from New Hampshire - jobless and broke. I came from a state where gas topped out at $1.10, and into a state when the prices went to $1.45. I couldn't believe it, I didn't know how anyone was going to survive, much less myself.

But I adapted.

I'm not sure if I can describe for you younger folks, the utter gut wrenching feeling I had - The amount of hopelessness I felt when I saw $1.45 for gas. It's probably what you're seeing right now.

And for those that can remember the 70s and early 80s, this is nothing yet. We haven't seen gas station riots yet.

-> Steve

i remember when my brother started driving in 99ish and gas was only 99 cents. dang, driving out of town to hang out was cheap and fun. now its a luxury.

about the alternatives, its harder than we think. as mentioned it is hard to make hydrogen even though its all around us. it actually costs more after everything is all said and done than just regular fuel. dont forget the need to get all new facilities. its gonna be at least another 5+ years to really even start to see hydro cars because of these short comings. as for ethanol. thats out of the window. it loves to bond with water so it can easily contaminate drinking sources and such.

i think the fastest band-aid is diesel and "hybrids." diesels easily get more than 20% mpg than non diesel of the same make. look up vws. plus some kids are converting used frying oil to fuel. fuck, were the fatest country in the world. im sure used oil is easy to come by. everything is already there. the facilities and the readily avaible fuel.

anyway, thats my dub. feel free to comment.

we need to find a way to convert fat cells into usable energy...
especially liquified fat from liposuction...

said on the news today that some places in georgia gas is over 4 bucks for regular. which is suprising considering the gov of georgia has been threatening serious sanctions against price gouging ever since the hurricane hit.

Well for the lucky few who may have a Diesel engine, head to your local McD's and make friends with the Manager. Ask them for their used Vegetable Oil and drop it in your tank after filtering out all the little food particles. I'm sure the restaurant will be happy to give it to you for free as they pay taxes and fees to dispose of it. Run your car free as long as the weather stays warm. When it gets cold you'll have to switch back to Diesel fuel or else it will chum up on you and it won't be drivable until the oil breaks down again.

:)

And isn't it just my luck that I buy a nice big V8 and prices go through the freakin roof. At least I'm getting better MPG than my heep was.

i juuust paid 2.99 for premium. my favorite gas station was out of regular gas and was offering better gas for the cheaper price.

Back