1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which fliud for my Honda transmission???

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by 916em1, Sep 26, 2012.

1. 916em1

916em1 New Member

Kinda like the title says, which fluid do you recommend I use in my GSR transmission?
    I'v used royal purple 5w30 motor oil in my friends d16 and in another friends k20 and they both were smooth as butter.
    However i'v been reading about royal purple synchromax and GM synchromax. Should I go with the Motor oil which is recommended for Honda or will the synchromax be a better choice?
    Thanks.

2. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

I've just always used oem honda MTF. works just fine.

3. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

Honda MTF, or Honda "Compatible" MTF.

4. 916em1

916em1 New Member

The d16 i traded my buddy was running OEM Honda mtf which i saved because it has less then 5k on the oil. However I liked how the royal purple felt vs Honda mtf. So my question isn't if i should run motor oil vs honda mtf but what people would recommend between royal purple motor oil and Synchromax

5. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

Synchromax should not be used. Synchromax is for manual transmissions that are designed to use automatic transmission fluid. I'm sure there are more manufacturers who use ATF in manual trans but the first one that comes to mind is BMW.

Royal Purple oil shouldn't be used either. Synthetic motor oil shouldn't be used in a Honda manual trans period... Synchros in the trans NEED friction to work properly.

6. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

I use GM Synchromesh with friction modifier exclusively. Does wonders. There are two different part numbers, and most dealerships do NOT carry the one with friction modifier in it, so make sure you get the right one if you want to go this route.

Other than GM Synchromesh, use Honda MTF.

7. 916em1

916em1 New Member

:confused:
    , i'm hearing don't use synchromesh and synchromesh is okay to.use

8. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

RP Synchromax sucked in my Accord(especially when cold; notchy and seemed to grind much more easily...also seems like it doesn't last long either as the problems got worse over time until I switched to MTF).

GM Syncromesh should work just fine; seems like it works better than Honda MTF in older transmissions.

9. 916em1

916em1 New Member

Cool thanks, what thickness of GM Syncromesh should I use?

10. phunky.buddha

You want this GM part number: 12377916

11. phunky.buddha

12. 916em1

916em1 New Member

Thanks, will look into that.

13. dc4dude

dc4dude Member

Just wanted your opinion (anyone who knows what i am talking about) has anyone noticed that honda's mtf has gotten thinner over the years? Or is it just me????

14. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

It did. There's three versions, or at least that I know of. The next one was always thinner(MTF "I" was about the same viscosity as typical 5w30 motor oil and MTF "III" is almost the same as ATF). They had some VOAs of it on BITOG.

There's speculation that this was done to help increase fuel economy, especially in the newer transmissions.

15. dc4dude

dc4dude Member

Well thats all fine and well... But it doesnt seem to hold up as hell in the older transmossions... They dont feel as smooth as i remember... I might give the gm synchromesh stuff... See how she feels..

16. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

All my trans have done the BEST on Honda MTF. Newest trans i've ever had is my current 96 GSR trans. Has 175K original miles, shifts like butter, has no grinds what so ever... But then again, I know how to drive and I don't beat on my vehicles often...

I haven't tried the GM Synchromesh with Friction Modifier so I can't speak on that stuff. I've tried the Pennzoil stuff, 5w-30 Exxon/Mobil non-synthetic motor oil, and Honda MTF. The Pennzoil stuff performed the worse. Motor oil wasn't bad either but I could tell the difference when I switched to Honda MTF.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted