Windows Server 2003, archiving data, and you

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboMirage

That’s how you get ants
VIP
so one of my bigger recent projects has been how to determine which way to archive our data out.

so far we have a lifespan, data that has not been modified on the server for more than three years needs to be moved onto optical media (most likely blu-ray), indexed by client and tucked away. now we have about 2TB of data on a production server and some of it has to go :)

im sure we could use windows backup to reference the modified date, but i am more interested in moving those files in question to another storage media while keeping the folder structure intact, THEN to bluray so they can be removed from the server entirely.

anyone have any better ideas or suggestions? thanks in advance.

Last edited:
i did something like this for our exchange proof of concept.

for the backup solution (enhanced the current implementation) I setup a NAS (Just a giant SCSI array) and had NTBackup running on all the windows machines into a mapped network drive. That mapped network drive of course was just connecting to a samba share. 150GB of Exchange data took about 2 hours.

So i do this while dirvish is already running on the linux nas machine. and then i have dirvish do a shitty call to the same windows box so it will just keep my directory names organized properly when the windows box backs up.

you can also fake dirvish out and have it rsync using links with the same data you've already copied down. that should reduce you backup sizes quite a bit. So you have both incremental and full backups for the time period you specified.

well this will only be a once a year thing. there is no need for an incremental or all those extra steps, or linux. we just want to remove/backup all existing data that has not been accessed in over 3 years from january 1st, 2010.

im even thinking i could possibly do it with robocopy...

i dont know enough about windows to help in that area.

In linux id just do this for that:

mkdir /backup; find / -atime +1095 -mtime +1095 -exec ln '{}' /backup/ \;

and then write /backup to disk. I dont know if there is a tool to do anything similar in windows........man that's sad that I dont know shit about windows anymore.

Back