Your feelings on an AWD car?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout

VIP
Alright if any of you guys read my thread about getting the '98 Impreza 2.5RS I fell in love with the AWD of it, but I took too long because the car had some cosmetic things wrong with it and it got sold on me.

I'm thinking about doing the terrible and possibly getting an Eclipse GSX/Talon TSI but I'm not quite sure how their AWD works. I know the subaru is a perfect 50/50 power split from front to back but I dont think the eclipse is anywhere near as nice as that, plus the insurance is probably higher, and they're known to have problems.

Problem is I cant just spring for the WRX because I dont have that sort of money. As it stands, the bank account reads something around $6500 and most of the money I get from working a few hours at my job goes towards gas and I dont have too incredibley much left over each month to put towards a car. Even so most nice Impreza 2.5RS's are going to be out of my league in terms of price and i dont know how nice the newer SOHC motors are in the 2.5rs, i hear they lost some power and speed.

Being 19 and not making incredibley much money, I cant finance a car because one my interest rate would be fucked and two I would have to pay collision on the car. The collision alone will probably cost me an extra 1-2k a year in insurance, plus the monthly payments. *IF only i had 10k I know I'd be able to get a nice car I like but thats going to take AWHILE for me to get, definately not within the next year so I dont know what to do*

Any suggestions whether I should wait for another 2.5RS (they're hard to find, especially the '98) or whether I should spring for a GSX/TSI?

Sorry for the long post and I dont mean to whine, I just want to figure something out so I can get a car. In the meanwhile I have my dad's car to drive until I find myself another one.

hmm... overpriced junk

you're 19... shouldn't you have more important things to worry about like a place to live? college? etc?

plus the collission will be enough to put you in the poor house...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Oct 25 2004, 01:43 PM
hmm... overpriced junk

you're 19... shouldn't you have more important things to worry about like a place to live? college? etc?

plus the collission will be enough to put you in the poor house...
[post=407162]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats what I'm saying about the collision. I have comprehensive on my del sol, or had it before I sold it...I may not even go with the comprehensive anymore because in Jersey State Farm is raping my parents blind when none of my family members even have points on their license.

As for me having other things to worry about, I go to a County College right now and plan on transfering out to somewhere like Penn State in a year. I dont know if the car will be making the journey with me, but in the mean time I drive 400miles every weekend or every other weekend because I go and visit my girlfriend up at PSU or go to another college or what not, plus the 30-100miles I do daily community a couple times and going to the gym and what not. I drive a lot and want something that I will enjoy, so no basically its at my top of the list of things to worry about right now. I'll pay off county college easily and then in another year I'll have to worry about University expenses. I dont buy much, except for gas so its not like I'm going out and endulging in many expensive hobbies...this is just the one thing I want.

Originally posted by shortbusrebel07@Oct 25 2004, 01:49 PM
i dont know if the VR4 and the eclipse AWD system work the same but here is a link i found

http://www.stealth316.com/2-awd.htm

google is your friend :)
[post=407168]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for the link, but I really didnt see anything that went into detail about what kind of power distribution or power split there is, just it sounds like more power is being sent to the open gear in the front, then to the LSD in the rear.

Some idiot kid that doesnt know much about cars was telling me that in the GSR only one rear wheel received power. Like I said the kid is an idiot and doesnt know a lot of things, but he does own an eclipse so I dont know if he's right or wrong. It seems a logical way to do a cheap and easy AWD system.

Can anyone point me to any good DSM boards?

i guarantee you, without fail, you will be regretting that monthly payment...

it has happened to everyone i know under 30 that bought a car on time...
you end up regretting that monthly hit more and more as time goes on...

but go for it... debt it up while you're young.. destroy any chance at a good credit history you may have :)

just messing with you, but seriously, be careful with your credit and don't buy something cause everyone else is getting into AWD now...
status symbols will 0wn you before you own them... good luck

Originally posted by reckedracing@Oct 25 2004, 02:09 PM
i guarantee you, without fail, you will be regretting that monthly payment...

it has happened to everyone i know under 30 that bought a car on time...
you end up regretting that monthly hit more and more as time goes on...

but go for it... debt it up while you're young.. destroy any chance at a good credit history you may have :)

just messing with you, but seriously, be careful with your credit and don't buy something cause everyone else is getting into AWD now...
status symbols will 0wn you before you own them... good luck
[post=407190]Quoted post[/post]​

Eh none of my friends have AWD and I can really care less if they do or not. I fell in love with it because it drove nicer than any car I've driven before and stuck to the ground incredibley well. I'd buy an F-body if I wanted something that was fast in a straight line.

And like I said in the original post I cant go for a monthly payment because that will mean I'm going to have to pay way too much in insurance. It just sucks that I'm like 2-4 grand short of the car that I really want right now and being young I cant just get a small loan for that sum of money, I'd have to finance the damn thing and that completely kills hopes of doing that.

And if I were going to throw myself into deep debt (which I'm not until the fcking bill for 'real' college comes after my two year joke at county college) i'd get the evo 8 or the sti. :p :p :p Thats what i *REALLY* want right now, I'm just far from being able to afford it.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Oct 25 2004, 02:02 PM-->
shortbusrebel07
@Oct 25 2004, 01:49 PM
i dont know if the VR4 and the eclipse AWD system work the same but here is a link i found

http://www.stealth316.com/2-awd.htm

google is your friend  :)
[post=407168]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for the link, but I really didnt see anything that went into detail about what kind of power distribution or power split there is, just it sounds like more power is being sent to the open gear in the front, then to the LSD in the rear.

Some idiot kid that doesnt know much about cars was telling me that in the GSR only one rear wheel received power. Like I said the kid is an idiot and doesnt know a lot of things, but he does own an eclipse so I dont know if he's right or wrong. It seems a logical way to do a cheap and easy AWD system.

Can anyone point me to any good DSM boards?
[post=407185]Quoted post[/post]​

PM IDmaxguy on here he is a personal friend of mine he can tell you some about the AWD system or point you in the right direction

I'd advise you to hold out for another 2.5RS, or maybe look at a non-RS Impreza. It's either a 2.0L or a 2.2L, I'm too lazy to search.

Anyway, if you really loved the AWD, I'd say stick with it. Plus, you're going to be amazed at how much it helps you during the winter. I know I was. Put some decent all-season tires on it (or save up for a second set of rims with winter tires), and you'll be nearly unstoppable when it snows and/or the road ices over.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Oct 25 2004, 02:19 PM
so you get a 10K car, don't have full coverage, then you total it...

now what???
[post=407200]Quoted post[/post]​

Then I cry, whipe up my tears, and have to start over. But I'm not going to wreck my car. :) Atleast its not going to be my fault if I do. I was in four accidents with my del sol, none of which were my fault...I just had a target painted on my car or something. Its not like I'm going to drive without insurance, just not collision. I didnt have that on the del sol that was 4k.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Oct 25 2004, 02:31 PM
I'd advise you to hold out for another 2.5RS, or maybe look at a non-RS Impreza. It's either a 2.0L or a 2.2L, I'm too lazy to search.

Anyway, if you really loved the AWD, I'd say stick with it. Plus, you're going to be amazed at how much it helps you during the winter. I know I was. Put some decent all-season tires on it (or save up for a second set of rims with winter tires), and you'll be nearly unstoppable when it snows and/or the road ices over.
[post=407209]Quoted post[/post]​

I think I'm going to have to hold out for a 2.5RS but I dont see many of them up for sale, maybe an older impreza with a WRX swap or I could pay for a WRX swap but I dont know how much thats going to run me. I think the non-rs impreza is going to be too slow and too cheap for my taste (I know I'm a pain in the ass) but the 2.5rs isn't exactly a speed demon itself. I just wouldnt pay that kind of money for a car with like 100hp compared to one with 166hp and about the same torque numbers.

Theres a non finished 95 Legacy with a bunch of stuff done to it, with a wrx swap for like 7k about 2hours away from me...but the swap isnt finished is the problem, or else I'd be all over something like that. Just dont have the money or knowledge to complete that myself.

Definately no DSM in your eyes though?

I know this board is pretty Anti-DSM and I've heard a lot of horror stories about them, but some people have really good luck with them.

You could definitely try for a WRX swap into an Impreza. You could probably hook yourself up with a non-RS Impreza for a few grand, then spend some cash on a WRX swap. If not, then stick with the 2.5RS.

Personally, I'd never buy a DSM. I've heard way too many stories about the problems associated with them. Hell, someone on my WRX board got rid of his Talon because of the myriad of problems he was having. He's got a WRX now and 100% happier.

if the dsm takes all your cash, and it brakes on you 3 times a week, how do you ever expect to have a working car?

hold out for the 2.5

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Oct 25 2004, 02:48 PM
You could definitely try for a WRX swap into an Impreza. You could probably hook yourself up with a non-RS Impreza for a few grand, then spend some cash on a WRX swap. If not, then stick with the 2.5RS.

Personally, I'd never buy a DSM. I've heard way too many stories about the problems associated with them. Hell, someone on my WRX board got rid of his Talon because of the myriad of problems he was having. He's got a WRX now and 100% happier.
[post=407223]Quoted post[/post]​

I know you're well versed on this, any idea of what the wrx swap would cost me with labor? I thought someone said that it cost them $2500 but I think it would have to cost more than that. IDK

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 25 2004, 02:54 PM
if the dsm takes all your cash, and it brakes on you 3 times a week, how do you ever expect to have a working car?

hold out for the 2.5
[post=407225]Quoted post[/post]​

This is true. I was hoping that if I had a mechanic check it out first and got the okay that the car was solid, that I wouldnt be having an assload of problems.

I have no problem with my Talon TSI. And i drag race it often, and still using the same original tranny and transfer case, hasn't broken yet, so it does depend on how the car is maintained.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Oct 25 2004, 03:02 PM-->
dohcvtec_accord
@Oct 25 2004, 02:48 PM

I know you're well versed on this, any idea of what the wrx swap would cost me with labor? I thought someone said that it cost them $2500 but I think it would have to cost more than that. IDK
[post=407265]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, after a quick search on Ebay for some used engines, it looks like they go for about $1500-$2000. So I'd figure that, based on that price, you could get an engine swapped into your car for $2500-$3000. I'm figuring about $1000 for labor, but it would really depend on the availability and knowledge of the shops in your area.

I'd also advise you to check with engine suppliers to see what you can get an engine for. In the Subaru market (like Honda), the big thing is getting JDM engines. So I imagine that you could get yourself a nice USDM EJ20 for a decent price. But, you may also want to consider a used JDM WRX engine if you're spending the mone anyway.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Oct 25 2004, 05:14 PM-->
Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Oct 25 2004, 03:02 PM
dohcvtec_accord
@Oct 25 2004, 02:48 PM

[post=407265]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, after a quick search on Ebay for some used engines, it looks like they go for about $1500-$2000. So I'd figure that, based on that price, you could get an engine swapped into your car for $2500-$3000. I'm figuring about $1000 for labor, but it would really depend on the availability and knowledge of the shops in your area.

I'd also advise you to check with engine suppliers to see what you can get an engine for. In the Subaru market (like Honda), the big thing is getting JDM engines. So I imagine that you could get yourself a nice USDM EJ20 for a decent price. But, you may also want to consider a used JDM WRX engine if you're spending the mone anyway.
[post=407274]Quoted post[/post]​

Well I wouldnt want emissions issues or wiring issues or what not...but then again if I wasnt doing the swap myself. I feel like such a whore, stealing all your knowledge but when I searched for engines the other day, I kept coming up with like the v7 and v8 (the sti engine) no USDM WRX engines that I saw that were already built and what not...and that was after following the links on one of the subbie forums.

Back