Your feelings on an AWD car?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well, as I said, the big market is V7 and V8 STi and WRX engines, so it's tougher to find the USDM ones. Very similar to, say, trying to find a USDM Prelude engine. It's never as easy as it is going to hmotorsonline.com, or something similar, and ordering up a JDM engine.

If you're looking for a USDM WRX engine, chances are it won't be "built", mostly because people don't usually crack into those engines. They're pretty solidly built from the factory, and can handle alot of abuse. The tranny is the problem.

Don't worry about emissions or wiring issues, especially if you're having a reputable shop do the swap. From what I hear (I haven't researched it *too* much), the swap is relatively simple.

No worries on sucking up my knowledge...I had to do the same thing when I left the Honda world. :)

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Oct 25 2004, 05:22 PM
Well, as I said, the big market is V7 and V8 STi and WRX engines, so it's tougher to find the USDM ones. Very similar to, say, trying to find a USDM Prelude engine. It's never as easy as it is going to hmotorsonline.com, or something similar, and ordering up a JDM engine.

If you're looking for a USDM WRX engine, chances are it won't be "built", mostly because people don't usually crack into those engines. They're pretty solidly built from the factory, and can handle alot of abuse. The tranny is the problem.

Don't worry about emissions or wiring issues, especially if you're having a reputable shop do the swap. From what I hear (I haven't researched it *too* much), the swap is relatively simple.

No worries on sucking up my knowledge...I had to do the same thing when I left the Honda world. :)
[post=407280]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah I was finally near the point where I thought I could go from my D series to B series, then I sold the car. I'm sure I would have run into some problems, but i had a hell of a lot more knowledge than i did when i first started.

so you think its going to be easier to find a jdm wrx engine, than a usdm one? did you know the engine code to the wrx engine? is that the v7 or is the v7 last year's wrx?

You're starting to get into some grey areas for me, since I'm still relatively new.

V8 = this generation of WRX's and STi's. Can mean either USDM or JDM
V7 = previous generation of WRX's and STi's. Since they were never imported here, it can only mean JDM.

I *think* the engine code for a WRX is EJ205. The "5" on the end means it's not the highly-tuned version. The STi engine is a EJ257, where the "7" means a more highly-tuned engine. The new Legacy GT has the EJ255, which means it's still a 2.5L engine, but not as cool as the STi's engine.

I think you'll be able to find a USDM engine, and it'll most likely be cheaper. It'll just be harder to find.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Oct 25 2004, 05:29 PM
You're starting to get into some grey areas for me, since I'm still relatively new.

V8 = this generation of WRX's and STi's. Can mean either USDM or JDM
V7 = previous generation of WRX's and STi's. Since they were never imported here, it can only mean JDM.

I *think* the engine code for a WRX is EJ205. The "5" on the end means it's not the highly-tuned version. The STi engine is a EJ257, where the "7" means a more highly-tuned engine. The new Legacy GT has the EJ255, which means it's still a 2.5L engine, but not as cool as the STi's engine.

I think you'll be able to find a USDM engine, and it'll most likely be cheaper. It'll just be harder to find.
[post=407286]Quoted post[/post]​

Wow one guy said he spent 115hours doing his swap.

*edit - i'm torn between a turbo'd civic or something thats awd. I do, do a lot of driving in the winter here in jersey and where it snows a lot in PA, I mean A LOT so i'm kind've scared to get a turbo'd civic

Back