zc or d16*?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sunshineacid

So I have a two pronged question:

my civic (88 dx 3door) is slowly going out. 220k miles, its about time for an overhaul =P
im trying to decide what engine to put in my car.
what i want: a little more power (120-130ish will be fine)
good on gas
*EASY INSTAL*
i just finished my swap from a ka24e to de and no matter what people say, the wiring on that swap was a nightmare. so im very interested in a genuine easy swap

so this puts me into the 92-96 vtec d16 or zc realm.
which one do you guys suggest based on my requirement?
which has better gas mileage?
im not interested in beefing either of these up in the future. stock use is fine (otherwise i would have opted for a b engine =P)

also
im planning on switching to a crx si guage cluster because it has a built in tach. ( i *hate* standalone tachs)
will this be compatable with both of these engines?
thanks in advance =)

Quoted post[/post]]
You're going to have to do some wiring regardless, for the MPFI conversion. But a DOHC ZC will pretty much be a straight drop it otherwise. I chose the D16Z6 because of VTEC, not for "OMGx0rz teh uber VEEETACAHZ" but for the fuel economy. But you'll have some wiring to do with this, the four-wire O2 and VTEC. You can opt to run it OBD0 or correctly with OBDI. If you convert to OBDI, check RyWire.com for the conversion harnesses.

so you think that the DOHC zc would be a better for this?
IIRC the dohc runs 9.6 compression. i usually run 9.1 on 87 octane. will that require 89?

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000se...page&item=30020

is that the engine youre suggesting?
i often wondered the wiring difference between the DOHC zc and the SOHC, but i wasnt able to find much.

also, would the crx si guage cluster be able to hook up to this unit?
i would really love to use the tach, but not have an huge tach sticking out on my dash =P

Yea gauge cluster will work but if you're doing OBDI you'll need a cluster that reads a digital VSS(for the speedometer). The SOHC ZC is pretty much a D16A6 out of the 88-91 Si's. 9.6 should be fine with 87.

sorry for the 20 questions, but you guys know what youre talking about, so i figure ill press my luck =P
if i get that engine, do most parts cross over as american parts, or say if i need a new distro or alt, will i need to source from japan?

i know this is kind of a strange question, but i used to be a nissan guy w/ a japan built ca18det. 99% of the engine parts were used on the pulsars here, so thats where my question stems from.

Quoted post[/post]]
sorry for the 20 questions, but you guys know what youre talking about, so i figure ill press my luck =P
if i get that engine, do most parts cross over as american parts, or say if i need a new distro or alt, will i need to source from japan?

i know this is kind of a strange question, but i used to be a nissan guy w/ a japan built ca18det. 99% of the engine parts were used on the pulsars here, so thats where my question stems from.

In it's way the ZC is more like an 1G Integra engine. I'm running an Integra distributor on my '89 ZC (1990 Civic Si US model) and the Integra brain. The ZC has one of the sensors on the camshaft that normally lived in the Civic distributor (TDC??? brain fade sets in).

When my swap was done the shop doing the install reused the Civic distributor connector since I was reusing my Si harness. Huge mistake. It's not hard to pull the wires and use the Integra type connector on the Civic harness.

I have my own questions on which temp sensor the ZC uses... the Civic type or the Integra type. Or is it unique?

Cheers,

JimG

Quoted post[/post]]
Incorrect sir. You only need the electronic VSS if you're using a cluster that requires one. The EF cluster doesn't require one. My speedo works just fine and I'm OBDI converted. :)

Doesn't the ECU use speed as a reference for some stuff like VTEC actuation though? I'm using a electric VSS so that I can use FTL/FTS with Crome :) .

Back