Zex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HonCiv99

EK Swappa
Ok so due to some recent financial obligations Im not gonna be able to boost my new b18 gsr ne more :( so along with basic bolt-ons Ive decided to look into getting a ZEX Wet Nitrous System. Now is the best there is? Ive been reading about them and they claim to be one of the best becasue of their managment system that prevents the n2o from burning to lean or rich. Also whats the max shot I would be safe using with bolt-ons 55, 65, 75? Hate to let the turbo idea slip away but my wallet tells me no :mad: Any suggestions would be great!

In the long run, nitrous becomes the most expensive due to having the bottle refilled. Not to mention shit breaks just like with anything else.

IMO, I wouldn't go with more than 120 shot. As long as you add enough fuel (which is the job of the ZEX unit anyway) and pull enough timing so you don't detonate, you 'll be fine.

I wouldnt go with more then a 75 shot...nitrous can be a very tricky thing....and yah Zex makes a good system
Nitrous isn't anymore 'tricky' than turbo or a supercharger. In some cases it's actually a lot simpler such as a dry shot that uses a single solinoid and button activation.

Also, don't listen to anyone who says to 'shoot a shot that is half your current horsepower' That's nothing but a bunch of bullshit.

Yah well with everything if you do it right it will last right? Just saying many people think you just throw on a bottle and go

ive ran as much as 150 to a stock b16 but to safely do it i would say 75 is safe fo a long time i ran 40+ bottles at 75hp thru a d16y7 be fore swaping to a b16 then i got gready and mt rods turned to pretzles at 180hp. yea i know it was stupid but hey it went 11.69 on a stock block b16 in a crx you will be fine with a 75 shot just rember to pull 3deg of timing out

aight cool cool...prob just gonna start out with 55 shot and eventually bump it up to 75. Also is a purge kit necessary? and as far as the other accessories which of them would be best to invest in? Thx!

A purge kit, a bottle warmer, and a nitrous pressure gauge are a must in my opinion.

The purge kit so you can make sure there's no air in the lines, a bottle warmer so you don't freeze any valves or fittings, and the pressure gauge because correct bottle pressure is the life line of your power, other than the nitrous itself. Proper bottle pressure is very important.

Yea Im prob gonna get the purge kit and the pressure guage but dam $150 for that bottle warmer? I live in Utah so I guess it would be a good idea

kk...so is the install pretty straight foward? would I be able to do it myself or would you recommend I just get it professionally installed?

kk...so is the install pretty straight foward? would I be able to do it myself or would you recommend I just get it professionally installed?
All the instructions come with it. Just follow them step by step. I assume you've never done a nitrous kit install so expect it to take the entire day. But once you do it, you'll be able to install a kit in half the time. There's some people who can do a full install in like 2 hours lol.

bottle warmer is a VERY good idea :)

:werd: Nitrous works best at a certain bottle pressure, although I cant remember what that pressure is. Since nitrous is a gas, as it heats and cools its density changes, causing fluctuations in bottle pressure. Granted, you will have the ZEX controller to keep the flucuations from damaging your motor, but if you add a bottle blanket to that youll notice much more consistant power output. Purging your system before a nirtous powered pull will also help consistancy.

Yup, theyre the same thing. Just a cloth wrap with a heating element inside it.

ha yea a "cloth wrap" that Zex sells for $150...now since I do live in utah and I'm a cheap a$$, could I just keep the bottle inside my house while im not using it to keep the pressure good?

Last edited:
900psi is borderline. You don't want it to drop under 900psi. Idealy(sp?) you want it at or above 950psi, if possible 1000psi.

ha yea a "cloth wrap" that Zex sells for $150...now since I do live in utah and I'm a cheap a$$, could I just keep the bottle inside my house while im not using it to keep the pressure good?
The warmer keeps the nitrous from getting so cold that while your using it, it doesn't freeze parts of the system, it does nothing for bottle pressure. For bottle pressure, you want this Zex

As far as I know, the management unit in the ZEX kit doesn't help keep bottle pressure up. It just monitors the bottle pressure and adds fuel if the bottle pressure is high and takes away fuel when the bottle pressure is low. Give ZEX a call and maybe they can clarify more for you. Also, don't buy directly from ZEX, they charge more for their parts than what ZEX dealers charge.

Bottle warmers do help increase bottle pressure a bit. Simple science really. Make it too hot and the bottle can't hold the pressure...kaboom!

Back