1990 CRX Si Build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D16A6 motor sale - Google Search

Does anyone know how the OBX intake manifolds do as far as emissions? For some reason I remember somewhere that the OBX IM's do poor with SI's emissions because of some things not being connected on it due to no place to connect them at.

Last edited:
Your exhaust is disconnected right behind the engine right?
White exhaust smoke comes up out of there when you rev it, right?

Dude, you need to pull the head and fix your leaky headgasket, pronto. The coolant probably won't hydrolock the engine, but it will wash all the oil off the rings/ rod bearings and it will start knocking, then eventually blow up. Pull the head before you do serious damage, and this time make damn sure your block and head are clean when you put the new headgasket on. Also, use the copper headgasket spray :thumbsup:

I reconnected the exhaust last night because I got tired of the obnoxiously loud free exhaust, and thats when I noticed the hugeee ammount of white smoke, but yes, the white exhaust smoke comes out when I rev it. I'm going to go with the headgasket as well, since you and one of my buddies says thats what it so. I'm not starting the car untill I get the chance to pull the head again and clean everything/buy yet another headgasket. What exactly does the headgasket spray do?

gotcha.

Adding to my curiosity, how practical would d15b7 pistons be in my setup? I don't know anything about piston size, weather it be height or width or anything, but I was playing around and using the comp. calc. came to a CR of 12.26:1 with my current setup and d15b7 pistons. With a good tune, this would still be runnable on 93, correct?

And here's some more pics just for fun.
DSC02368.jpg

DSC023702.jpg

DSC02372.jpg

DSC02374.jpg

^Does everyone elses block have that little eagle? What exactly does that stand for?
DSC02414.jpg

DSC02415.jpg

DSC02416.jpg

Last edited:
When you pull the head off make sure that both the head and block surface are completely straight. Just a few thousandths of an inch (less than you can probably see by eye) is enough to cause problems. If either is warped at all you'll need to have it resurfaced before you put it back together.

Werd, get a straightedge to check it.
That eagle means that your engine hates jews and believes that the Arian nation will rise again. Zieg Heil!

Did you already put a new gasket on? Or are those old pics?

When you pull the head off make sure that both the head and block surface are completely straight. Just a few thousandths of an inch (less than you can probably see by eye) is enough to cause problems. If either is warped at all you'll need to have it resurfaced before you put it back together.
I planned on doing this also because the last thing I want to do is buy another gasket, do all this, put it back together, and it still leak because it's warped the slightest bit and I didn't take the time to check.

Werd, get a straightedge to check it.
That eagle means that your engine hates jews and believes that the Arian nation will rise again. Zieg Heil!

Did you already put a new gasket on? Or are those old pics?
bottom 3 are new pics, top 4 are old. New gasket as in which one? There is a new head gasket if thats what you mean

Large change in plans. The "mini-me" project, has now turned into a winter n/a project. On the NEW list of the upcomings are:

P29 pistons .020"/.5mm over
Crower Stage 3 cam with matching springs and retainers
A good quality header, unsure about what.
A quality port and polish
ARP head studs
ARP rod bolts

I was also looking into a HM-ITB article I found (HM-ITB) and I believe I'm going to add this to my list. According to most of the people on D-Series.org, the OBX intake manifold I have is pretty much good for A, a bong, or B, HM ITB's. Since this thing is gonna need tuned anyway, I might as well try my hand at these, and since I turned this into a winter project, and I now have a *dun dun dun* HEATED SHED, (yes, no garage still but a heated shed is better than nothing,) I can work on this all winter. I plan now on pulling the motor so that I can work on it in the shed, and re-installing it in the spring. As far as hp goals, I'm looking to make around 150 whp. Let the games officially begin.

for someone just starting to tune cars this project is incredible, and it is impressive to me how much time you must have spent researching. i would love to hear how it turns out and send you invisible energy to help you complete it :)

88crxsi nat.asp. - totalled in vegas - 6 years of work gone
90crxsi - bought stock with blown head gasket and replaced, waiting to start again :)

for someone just starting to tune cars this project is incredible, and it is impressive to me how much time you must have spent researching. i would love to hear how it turns out and send you invisible energy to help you complete it :)

88crxsi nat.asp. - totalled in vegas - 6 years of work gone
90crxsi - bought stock with blown head gasket and replaced, waiting to start again :)

Thanks a ton for the motivation, I tried to make sure I did as much research as I could so that I could ask as little as possible. I'll take some of that invisible energy though, that'd be nice :) Stay tuned though.

And now this has turned into an entire rebuild thread. I did some paint today. I'll post pictures tomorrow when it's dry and on the car.

EDIT:
2 pics from tonight, pics of it on tomorrow.
DSC02419.jpg

DSC02422.jpg

Last edited:
Spray Can :)
Flame if you'd like, but I've read of a few people who actually use spray can paint, but take the time to wet sand and blah blah. So I figured, hell, why not give it a go. So that's what I'm doing now. And if it turns out like shit, then I'll just pay a shop in the spring to paint it.

Last edited:
That's what I'm hoping. And even if I miss a spot sanding or something, I wish you all could have seen all the crap in my stock paint. Horrible. So many scratches, chips, chunks, etc. So This, in the very least, will look much nicer than that.

Yeah but I think this is gonna turn out just fine. Here's some pics of what I have so far, I'd probably have more done but it's been pourin/snowing all week, so I can't really take anything off for paint.
DSC02426.jpg

DSC02423.jpg

Yes, I know my bumper sags a little, it was wrecked before I bought it, I believe.

I'm becoming very discouraged with this whole swap thing. I'm close to just doing a full z6 swap, but keeping my tranny and such.

Back