1990 USDM CRX Si D16A6 to ZC SOHC non-VTEC swap, help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Oh, and thanks for all the help and advice. I'm conflicted about the distributor because I've heard both that I can us the Si one, and that I need to buy the 88-89 Integra one. I'll stick with the Si for now and hope it works.
the 88-89 Integra distributor is the same as the DOHC ZC distributor which uses a separate cylinder sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft - it, therefore, does not have the cylinder sensor inside the distributor which is needed for MPFI - it will not work on SOHC and won't even come close to bolting onto the head - it is also clocked different

this is the OBD0 JDM DOHC ZC/USDM 88-89 Integra D16A1 distributor oriented the way it goes on the engine

OBD0ZCdistributor-1.jpg

this is the OBD0 USDM D16A6 Si/JDM SOHC ZC distributor oriented the way it goes on the engine

SIdizzy-1.jpg

Last edited:
Well, over the past several days I was able to get my swap completed. Here's a rundown of what we did:

Wednesday - Put the car on jack stands, removed the front wheels and drive shafts, removed the hood, disconnected everything and removed the D16A6 and transmission.

Thursday - Removed all the parts from the D16 that were going to be used on the ZC. These included the intake and exhaust manifolds, alternator, distributor, motor mount bracket from the timing belt side, thermostat housing and coolant pipe, cooling fan switch, valve cover, crank pully, and flywheel. Everything but the exhaust manifold and flywheel were installed on the ZC as the EM needed to have the bolt holes to the down pipe sleeved and tapped for new bolts and the flywheel had to be turned.

Friday - Got the EM installed, assembled the clutch and mounted the transmission back up. Then put the engine in and bolted everything up and reconnected all the hoses and wiring.

New parts installed (all genuine OEM Honda parts):
All belts (Timing, Alternator and A/C compressor)
Water Pump
Thermostat
All gaskets, o-rings and seals
Clutch, Pressure Plate, Pilot & Throwout Bearings
Spark Plugs
OEM Honda Fluids

Some notes about swapability of parts:

The ZC block had a bolt in a hole for the stock location of where the cooling fan switch is installed on the D16. Since I used the thermostat housing and coolant pipe from the D16, we were able to remove that bolt, take the cooling fan switch from the D16 and install it on the ZC. That way we didn't have to cut the wiring for the switch.

The ZC timing belt cover fit back on even with the motor mount bracket from the D16 installed, so we used it as it was in better shape than the one from the D16.

The D16 distributor bolted up perfectly on the ZC, and we kept everything ODB-0.

After we got everything put back together, we filled all the fluids and started the car after priming the fuel system several times. It took about 1 minute of cranking and sputtering before all the gunk and everything was finally blown out of the cylinders and she fired up properly. Once she was going and up to normal operating temp, we verified that all the fans worked properly, and adjusted the clutch and throttle cables and set the idle, put the wheels back on and dropped her to the ground.

Then it was time for a drive. It was almost like having a brand new car again! You can definitely feel the extra horsepower of the ZC, and the clutch was butter smooth. Even with an extra 250lbs in the car (my buddy went on the test drive), the car was very responsive on the throttle. I am very happy with this motor!

93 eg d16 zc non vtech

Okay, so I would like start that there is a lot of good information here. Thank you. Um my ont concern and question is that how do I keep it obd 0 on my 93 hatch? I had a y7 blew the head. I got a new distributer that was for y7 but the guy at the auto parts store told me some misleading info. Then my mechanic told me I needed an ecu. So I got one from eBay that was for a obd 1 92-95 Honda zc non vtech, then i find out it doesn't fit and by doesnt fit i mean the plugs, so I'm guessing its obd 0. So I'm guessing I need a jumper for the ecu. But what do I do with the distributer? Will my setup work? Is there something missing? But my head cover doesn't look like that. I will post up pics upon request. Please help. Thank you in advance.

Okay, so I would like start that there is a lot of good information here. Thank you. Um my ont concern and question is that how do I keep it obd 0 on my 93 hatch? I had a y7 blew the head. I got a new distributer that was for y7 but the guy at the auto parts store told me some misleading info. Then my mechanic told me I needed an ecu. So I got one from eBay that was for a obd 1 92-95 Honda zc non vtech, then i find out it doesn't fit and by doesnt fit i mean the plugs, so I'm guessing its obd 0. So I'm guessing I need a jumper for the ecu. But what do I do with the distributer? Will my setup work? Is there something missing? But my head cover doesn't look like that. I will post up pics upon request. Please help. Thank you in advance.

you really should have started a new thread, however, maybe i can help - i read through your previous posts and from what i can tell, you have the following:

93 Civic hatch - correct?

had a D16Y7 engine swap in it but have since installed a JDM SOHC non-VTEC engine in it - correct?

you swapped the intake manifold from the Y7 onto the ZC - correct?

you say that the valve cover is not like the one in the picture in this thread - correct?

my guess is that the ZC you installed was 96-99 SOHC non-VTEC, which is OBD2 - it would have the spark plugs on the front side rather than on the back side and the oil dipstick would be on the driver's end right in front of the timing belt cover - the OBD2 ZC looks like this:

OBD2_ZC-1_zps02ca6ea4.jpg

it should have a serial number beginning with '6':

OBD2_ZC-5_zps432f76fc.jpg

does yours look like the above?

you would not have needed to swap your intake onto it but if you have, no problem

did you use the engine wiring harness from the D16Y7?

did the D16Y7 have the OBD1 distributor on it or did it have the OBD2 D16Y7 distributor? either will work with the proper wiring - just would like to know what you are dealing with

your best bet is to run it OBD1, using the P01 OBD1 ECU and using the distributor and the engine harness that was on the Y7

give me some answers to the above and any other info on it and i can probably help you out

Last edited:
Yes yes and yes. Lol. Everything is the same. All they did was swap the motor I have a po6 ecu except that my mechanic told me to get another distributer, which is new. Wiring? Where do I start? I put the y7 intake on.

you really should have started a new thread, however, maybe i can help - i read through your previous posts and from what i can tell, you have the following:

93 Civic hatch - correct?

had a D16Y7 engine swap in it but have since installed a JDM SOHC non-VTEC engine in it - correct?

you swapped the intake manifold from the Y7 onto the ZC - correct?

you say that the valve cover is not like the one in the picture in this thread - correct?

my guess is that the ZC you installed was 96-99 SOHC non-VTEC, which is OBD2 - it would have the spark plugs on the front side rather than on the back side and the oil dipstick would be on the driver's end right in front of the timing belt cover - the OBD2 ZC looks like this:

OBD2_ZC-1_zps02ca6ea4.jpg

it should have a serial number beginning with '6':

OBD2_ZC-5_zps432f76fc.jpg

does yours look like the above?

you would not have needed to swap your intake onto it but if you have, no problem

did you use the engine wiring harness from the D16Y7?

did the D16Y7 have the OBD1 distributor on it or did it have the OBD2 D16Y7 distributor? either will work with the proper wiring - just would like to know what you are dealing with

your best bet is to run it OBD1, using the P01 OBD1 ECU and using the distributor and the engine harness that was on the Y7

give me some answers to the above and any other info on it and i can probably help you out

Hey are you sure the p01 would be obd1 err woul I need a jumper harness? Well the p76 mess it up?

Back