1st Swap Under our Belt-Lots of Pics!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TDaddy

Well it finallly happened, we finally put our motor in the car.

After many monthes of getting it ready. Eric showed up to help us out sunday around 1ish.

So we start out, only to find that the load leveler chains are too short! :rant: So off to Orchards to get some more chain. By the time we get the motor on the hoist and out of the truck it's like 3pm.

Now that we got it out of the truck we manuver it over the empty engine bay of the teg. We start lowering it and decide to take off the "JDM XSi only" motor mount, and the heavy ass stock exhaust manifold. Once we got that done we lower the motor into the engine bay. But of course it wouldn't just slip in.

After much pulling, pushing and cussing we still don't have even one of the mounts bolted down. We are really close to getting one of 'em so I climb up on the car and start pulling and basically trying to man handle the motor into place. Surprise of surprise it works!!!

After we got that first mount in we had to take out the crossmembers so we could get the motor in position to bolt the rest of the mounts, in the process we broke a piece off the main crank pulley. Damn it!...but we perservere. We finally get the last mount bolted in and look at the clock, it's just about 7pm...

I figure that's not too bad for a bunch of rookies who have never done a swap before. Anyway we'll be working on the wiring and the hoses next saturday. For now here are some pic's!!!

s404cc1198b2ad.jpg

s404cc1954e218.jpg

s404cc1b87531a.jpg

s404cc1f38d9b8.jpg

s404cc21030d64.jpg

s404cc2325a56a.jpg

s404cc2aac8336.jpg

s404cc2e7f1b44.jpg

s404cc3053f7b7.jpg

s404cc3234bb10.jpg

dont start that motor until you fix that crank pully. Just get an OEM one. They are the best quality, and have a harmonic ballancer which most aftermarket ones do not have.

Nice work so far.

For pointers for others reading this post bolt the rear tranny bracket to the subframe mount, then bolt it to the top hole where it is needs to go. Then slowly drop it in, and when the holes line up, put the other bolts through. Then you can lift the engine and it will pivot on the rear mount (dont tighten the bottom bolt super tight) the make the engine level with the other mounts and go to town.

Originally posted by asmallsol
dont start that motor until you fix that crank pully. Just get an OEM one. They are the best quality, and have a harmonic ballancer which most aftermarket ones do not have.

Thanks for the tip, I was planning on using the pully from the ls motor I took out before I started it. :)

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

yea, i was the one taking those pictures... and yes... i did get my hands dirty. a few times, things just weren't working, and they stood perplexed. then dave says:

Originally posted by Dave to Eric
if we just let her sit and think for a minute, she'll figure it out.

and a few times that worked. i said 'gee, what if i pull on this, does that help?' and then i hear 'hey, keep doing that! i got it thru!!!' hahaha
:D

it was an awesome effort for all of us, and i'm very proud of us!!! :) many thanks to MaaseyRacer for his help!!!

Originally posted by StarBellieAngel@Mar 8 2004, 10:48 PM
i said 'gee, what if i pull on this, does that help?' and then i hear 'hey, keep doing that! i got it thru!!!' hahaha

fuckin sweetness :D

that was kind of sexual now that i think about it. *snaps to* HEY! you all get your minds out of the gutter! :X

Back