20 ft container from japan...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Talk to Clayton. His wife tooks some pics of a "play it again" style import shop that had just isles of bad ass used JDM parts for extremly cheap. As for the price conversion, there is a site, just type in currency conversion on google, and you'll find a good site. i think its like a 2 letter name like XE or something like that.

For an easy one, 1000 yen is about $1

thanks for the conversion info but i'm looking for advice from someone that does it for a living and can give me solid, do it now, or do it later advice...

too bad i can't take the do it now advice right now, but in the near future i will...

so who is this clayton and do you have a website for the shop at all?

If you can get estimated prices and availibility before you actually take off to japan, I'm in and I would bet that would put a lot more people at ease and get them in on it. SOOOOO..... If you can do this, check on the price of a DC2 ITR steering wheel with hub (no airbag) and any Mugen parts for any EF's out there. :worthy: That would be teh shit if this goes through!!! If I think of anything else, I'll post it up. GOOD IDEAR! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by reckedracing@Mar 19 2004, 09:32 AM

EDIT: what sort of business are you in that you import containers? motors? or just an import export company? and i def appreciate the info on the dollar:yen value, i will def be checking back with you as the trip date approaches,,,

I work for a high end gourmet food and housewares store. I work in the corperate office in jersey and import alot of ceramic plates and candles and other shit that we sell. And FYI the converstion is not 1000 Yen to 1 dollar like ASMALLSOL stated about. Todays exchange rate is 106.790 Yen = 1 US Dollar. Yesterdays Rate was 108.310 Yen = 1 US Dollar. Normally Mondya is the best Exchange rate day. The monday that just pasted the 15 was 110.780 Yen = 1 US Dollar.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Mar 19 2004, 10:11 AM
As for the price conversion, there is a site, just type in currency conversion on google, and you'll find a good site. i think its like a 2 letter name like XE or something like that.

you can use XE or FX. Personaly i find that FX is more accurate the XE. Currently XE is off the rate by $.07 And this addeds up when you are talking about hunders of thousdays of dollars.

So use this one Currency Exchange
It's FX Converter 164. And it's a very good site they keep update every few hours.
you can check prior days and sujested future rates.
I get my exchange every 30min from wall street uplink.

ok, so now that we have a new option in the works (still working on motor prices) does anyone know of a japanese site that we can get japanese prices from?
just looking to know how much things cost there as compared to here to see if its worth it to get into buying aftermarket parts for people...?

how are you going to distribute everyones shit, i mean its going to take a lot of time for you to ship out say 10 motors all over the country. just another thought in the mix.

saw some type r swaps on here for 3500, i know a guy in middle NY that has a type r swap for 3500...

so i have written them regarding prices for engines...
i'm afraid too many people are interested in type R's and i'm prob not gonna be able to get THAT many, but hopefully it'll be a big enough order that they will find as many of whatever motors as i request...

thanks for the replys, keep the feedback coming, really excited about making this dream into a reality....

EDIT: and shipping would be paid for by the buyer, and i will use whatever shipping means or company you prefer, of course local pickup would be prefered so i get a chance to meet the people i am dealing with and make sure they are happy with the product before they take it...

the shipping from japan would be evenly divided among the diffrent people ordering, OR it can be divided by weight per motor, OR by cost per motor...
whatever people think is fair...
if its only 1000(estimate ONLY) to ship from japan, then whatever US shipping, and 50%(estimate ONLY) cost for motors as opposed to importers then i think it will be a substantial savings for all... hopefully this works out

i got an idea for ya to help cut down on costs a little. Ship yourself back to the states in the container with the motors :D . the imagrants do it all the time.

some food for thought..

have you throughly researched the export fees, shipping and CUSTOMS!?

you'll find out that even if you got type-r front clips for 2000 (which isn't that hard to do), on a 20 ft. container which can hold ~9 palletes you're not going to make a profit worth the time. It's a lot easier to find a distributor that you can work with.

Make some good contacts, find a weak distributor and hook them up with the contacts and have them provide you cost + 15% and they'd be more than happy to do it.. I garuntee it.

Customs is a bitch as is shipping.

Contact NYK and find out how much they charge to ship a 20 ft. container.

Don't forget, that most yards want ~$20,000 minimum in purchases to even consider doing business.

type-r front clip @ $2,000 = 10 clips = 10 pallettes

Now you have to look at filling a 40 ft. container.

Again just some food for thought.

you guys arent gonna save any money... you think if it was that easy EVERYONE would do it!... theres a reason people are in the buisness of importing shit

dude are you dumb people don't do it because you need 10+ motors to make it work

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Mar 19 2004, 02:52 PM
shipping into canada into port the duty is cheaper

no thats not a good ideal. Because to get everything from Canada to the US will end up costing more Trust me, I just got 28 containers in on monday and it's isn't cheaper to bring them in from Canada.

alright guys, not to be a dick, but i am a fucking accountant, so if you're gonna ask me if i checked out all the costs, thats what i do for a fucking living, i run numbers...

so if it works out that its not cheaper then i will know that before i even start anything...

right now its just an idea...
and the minimum is 10 motors for a 20 foot container... not a min of 20K order...
please read all the fucking posts before you start throwing out dumb fucking ideas that are gonna make people not want to get in on this...

and i AM NOT TRYING TO MAKE A FUCKING PROFIT, i am trying to help myself and other friendly honda people get a better deal than we can recieve from importers...
and i would just go to an importer, well actually i have just gone to importers, but i'm fucking tired of getting raped over JDM motors just cause its the "IN" thing in the US these days...

and true about canada, it may be cheaper but then you get hit coming back across the border going through customs, i also would know cause i had to bring my H22 back through customs and they ass fucked me...

the deal is, that people would not be in the business if they were not making money, so therefore they are making a profit, so therefore if i went and did it myself, given enough quantity, i could take the profit that they make, and use it as savings for people looking for motors...

so again, not trying to be a dick here, and thanks for all the advice that you've given, but this is just in the theory stages of the process, and i am pretty sure that it will work out in everyone's interests if i can make this a reality...

EDIT: and tylonalsnifnfool as dumb as it is i love your idea, lol
i like your way of thinking... :lol:

EDIT 2: and please tell me 90crxb18 where you are basing your information from? the last thing i need here is pricks throwing people off cause someone doesn't have any clue and is just posting bullshit... i NEED to have at least 10 motor orders, so if you give people a bum steer here then you're just fucking everyone else thats interested as well...

Let me be clear here.

I was just offering advice based on experience.

I did say MOST yards want a minimum of 20K.

I'm not questioning anyone's mathematical ability. I'm in charge of a $20M/GP/year division for a large company. So I do know something about business.

I've brought in motors direct from Japan before. Hell, I import containers on weekly basis (for my company), so I'm also very familiar with the process.

It's definitly a great idea and I wish you only the best.

Everyone who is looking for a motor should get in on this because you will save yourself some good money.

:)

I sell motors for profit as a side business and I can tell you that the distributors have a ridiculous markup.

I would definitely be interested in this idea. Hell, I've thought of doing it on the side several times. Unfortunately, like you, I'd just do it so everyone could get a good deal. I'd probably lose money in the long run, so I haven't tried.

I do have a good job, and my friend needs an engine right now. Let us know. :)

I would be VERY interested in CTR head, or just some CTR cams...and also a type R header:). PM me when/if anything is really going to happen!

thats a good idea- go to a tuning shop over there and get their newest shit. they wait until they develop something better than what they have, then they send the old design over here. and our cars are always a step behind them.

Back