2002 Civic electical problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jack_h

I started the car yesterday, and got out right away. I noticed it was no longer running (it did start though). Since then everything seems dead, with the exception of the horn and 4-way flashers. Nothing else works, including headlights, radio, door locks, power windows, dome light, etc... When putting in the key and turning, there are no clicks, no sounds, no lights, nothing. It is not the battery though, because the 4-way flashers and horn work fine.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks!

Quoted post[/post]]
Battery.

Did you read the part that the horn and 4-way flashers working fine? Normally if the battery is dead, the horn will not sound, or will be very distorted. In my case, the horn is loud and clear, and the 4-way flashers are bright. If the battery was good enough to power those items, it should have no problem lighting the interior dome light or the map lights. Correct?

Quoted post[/post]]
Alarm?

There is no after market alarm. I am not really sure of the features of the factory alarm... but it doesn't look like this is a common problem (given the lack of info on the web). If this was a feature of the factory alarm, there would be info on it everywhere.

I see this all the time at work. Those two items still work because they are designed to use the least amount of energy possible because they are safety and warning devices, so if you are stranded, they have to work for at least a little while. I could be wrong, but if you want to, just put a booster pack on that bitch or a charger and see what happens? Only other thing i can think of is a faulty ignition switch which ive never seen go bad on that model year.

Back