2nd job or roomate?

WWHSD?

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
welp, i'm a little over my head finanically.

im thinking about getting a 2nd job or a roomate to give me about 5-600 a month extra money to play with to help me get back on my feet and not live paycheck to paycheck.

once the sti payment is done in 4 more years, i'll have that extra 5-600 a month... but for now, i don't.

i don't really want a roomate, but i really don't want to work 60 hours a week.... well, i already do that now... so we;ll say 80 hours a week.
figure i can score a $10-12 /hr job pretty much anywhere like home depot or waiting tables or some shit a couple nights a week.

i dunno.

thoughts?

I vote for 2nd job. You can always get a roommate later on. Better if you find a girl that wants your nuts *cough cough*, and then you can talk her into moving in with you, helping pay the rent, and then you can give it to her at night! :ph34r:

The problem with that is, that it WOULD come down to "I'm giving you ass so I shouldn't have to pay rent." Simply because 90% of women value their money over their bodies.

The problem with that is, that it WOULD come down to "I'm giving you ass so I shouldn't have to pay rent." Simply because 90% of women value their money over their bodies.
very true...

get yourself some lamps and a hydroponics setup and grow vegetables in the second bedroom to help with the bills...

it really all depends on the roomate
when i was in school i liked having a roomate, it was cool, we got along real well
having a whole house with 2 seperate bedrooms will make it that much easier, but you still don't have your own house/personal space...

i would try and cut back the salaried hours (less posting, lol) and then use your extra time to get a job...

tables might be better than hourly...
or start doing something on your own to suppliment your income...
web design? perhaps
just about anything done with computers can prob be done at your current job if you;re sly...

There is no reason that a developer should get a second job. There is also no reason that you shouldn't be able to afford a condo and a car on a $50k job.

What's the x factor here ?

Also, valid points about both: The Job takes way too much ofyour time and you'll be work for the privilege of working, and the roommate will more than likely just piss you off when they stumble home at 1:00 am crashing shit around on some sort of meth binge stinking like dick and christmas tree airfreshener. I used to get that with my ex roommate.

i don't make 50k. i make 45. then the gov't steps in and takes his cut. i end up taking home about 37k.
then i get taxed for hondaswap income... so i end up getting next to nothing back.
i take home 2300 a month

565 for car
1132 for mortgage
150 for hoa
120 for car ins
still don't have home ins yet...
power bill was 215
basic cable/internet 30
phone 65

that's monthly.

add gas (about 30-50 a week) x 4 = 200
and food (100 a week, maybe more..) x 4 = 400
and smokes... blh blah blah i know... 30 a week x4 = 120
car taxes just came, 468

still have 4k on my credit card

and you can clearly tell that i'm in the hole.

oof...
you need to off the car and get one thats less to insure and own...

92 civic = liability only...
plus no monthly payment...

i would choose to have a house and less work but a beater car, over STI + extra hours or roomate...

you should have had a dumptruck hit the STI before the adjuster got there... :cry:
aren't STI's prone to catching on fire? *wink wink*

2nd job....if you get tired of the job you can get another one...its not that easy with a roomie....unless its a hot girl that makes additional pussy payments atleast 3 times a week

Call CL&P and ask to be put on a budget plan, thats what we do because of the electric heat. It spreads your payments out evenly amongst 11 payments and they re-evaluate every 3 months and make adjustements accordingly...

holy fuck, how can you spend 200 a month on gas? You live how far from work?

I was spending 220 a month on gas with the Q45, but I was driving it 200+ miles a week.

sell the Sti...pay off the loan and get a reliable DD for short $$ (like the Si you were talking about last week)

no more car payment, lower insurance, lower excise tax

that should be more than $600 right there...?

You have to explain to me how me a teacher is pulling down 2100 a month net. And you are making only 2300 a month in the IT field. How does that happen. We are both salaried and both paid over the course of 12 months. Are your state income taxes that hi?

I guess teacher do make some $$$$, there goes everyones argument about teachers not being paid.

Shit. My dad's employee with no ged even makes 2500 a month after everything....

Get a side job doing construction, or get a buddy in for a roomy.

Oh my... you mean past decisions have come to bite you in the ass ?

Been there, done that. I abandoned the whole thing it took me 4 years to get out of the holding pattern. I can tell you this: If you don't drop one or more, preferrably ALL of these things, you WILL be in financial ruin in 6 months with no hope of seeing the light of day.

You can't just think about getting rid of the STi. You MUST do it. You MUST drop the cell phone. You MUST drop the cable TV. you MUST go on whatever heating assistance you can. you MUST learn to shop better (it costs my gf and I $50 a week to eat.. and eat well) and you MUST live more frugally.

This isn't me patronizing you - this is just the way that life is proving itself to be . Hey, I had to learn the same thing - And Clayton had to learn the same thing, and everyone has to do this. It's not a challenge, it's a MUST DO. If you're on your current track, it doesn't take a genius to tell you that you'll be broke and homeless in the future. Roommate or second job - doesn't matter.

Quoted post[/post]]
Call CL&P and ask to be put on a budget plan, thats what we do because of the electric heat. It spreads your payments out evenly amongst 11 payments and they re-evaluate every 3 months and make adjustements accordingly...

its not really a big deal... come summer, the a/c is just going to crank it up. so the 3 months that im not using heat or a/c will be cheaper, but thats it... it might save me 10 bucks... i don't see the point.

Quoted post[/post]]
Holy fuck, how can you spend 200 a month on gas? You live how far from work?

3 miles.

i top off the sti every 3 or 4 days, at 93 octane, at 289 a gallon = $35 every 3 or 4 days. she's a pig.

I was spending 220 a month on gas with the Q45, but I was driving it 200+ miles a week.

i may work close, but i usually break 300 a week. stuff to do, people to see, places to go, drives and music to enjoy...

Quoted post[/post]]
sell the Sti...pay off the loan and get a reliable DD for short $$ (like the Si you were talking about last week)

selling the sti nets me 0... i paid all this time for nothing... i dunno.

the si got sold... i never got a chance to go look at it before he emailed me saying it sold :cry:

no more car payment, lower insurance, lower excise tax

the insurance on my sti is cheaper than it was on my hatch. go figure.
abs, dual air bags, etc etc, its a "safer" car i guess.

excise tax? thats for concert tickets and shit... not cars...

that should be more than $600 right there...?

it kills my payment of 565, but gains me another for whatever i buy.... so its still money... myabe less, but its still there...

Quoted post[/post]]
holy fuck I hope the "power bill was 215" is because you have electric heat.

yes, i have electric heat. i don't have gas. i don't have oil.
this is the only bill i have for heating and power.

Quoted post[/post]]
You have to explain to me how me a teacher is pulling down 2100 a month net. And you are making only 2300 a month in the IT field. How does that happen. We are both salaried and both paid over the course of 12 months. Are your state income taxes that hi?

i'm underpaid. i know this. i should be making 65k. but i can't find anything to go to...
i'm requesting a metting this week with my boss, and pretty much demanding a 12k raise.
they will probably say no, but hey, it can't hurt to ask.
12k = 1k a month gross = 300 a month take home extra... it will help a little....

i just really wish i had something else lined up.... jobs here are scarce for what i do.

I get taxed to hell, but the real deal is my benefits suck ass. i pay about 230 a month for health care that i never use. its a fucking joke. blue cross and blue shiled blows ass... i'm ready to drop it, but the second i do, knowing my luck, i'm going to break my arm or some shit.

I guess teacher do make some $$$$, there goes everyones argument about teachers not being paid.

i also don't have a college degree, work for a hole-in-the wall company, and no one else seems to even want to look at what i can do.

I'm 2nd in my company in SQL, behind my DBA.
I'm the best programmer my company has right now.

and they need to start appreciating that :p or something...

damnit, i just don't want to be in the hole any more

imo a roomate. find someone that your cool with and that you have a mutual respect with.
no reason to kill yourself with 2 jobs imo.

Back