3040 VS 4040 proportioning valve swap theory...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hrm... look slike one in, one out... the stock one is like 1 in 5 out or some shit... :(

so, i'm going to need 4 of these i think... keep the 3040 on there, and add 4 of these things inline?

that sound sliek a such a mess... there's gotta be a better way.

youd only need 2 of the proportioning valve, hooked up to the rear lines(there's a article on stop-tech's website).

i dont think you wouldt have to use the honda proportioning valves if you use the adjustable proportiong valves.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 14 2005, 12:41 PM
And now i read this article, and it says never to put one on the front... http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/proportioning_valves.htm

damnit, i don't know what to do :(
[post=512076]Quoted post[/post]​

i was going to suggest that article :)

i say, hook the fronts directly to the mc using a coupler or something(or plug the rear line ports on the prop. valve), and get 2 of them adj. proportioning valves and hook them up to the backs; and proceed to "tune" your brakes in a parking lot. youll have a better bias than the oem proportioning valve

well just wait for the response from fast brakes... why did you decide to go 11in rears also for an autox car?

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Jun 14 2005, 09:01 AM-->
why dont you contact fastbrakes and see what they have to say on all of this
[post=511999]Quoted post[/post]​

I talked to Brian Hasty on the phone when I installed mine, and he said that the kit was sized to work fine with the stock 4030/3040/whatever valve. I haven't had any issues with mine running the stock valve- but then again, every time I tried to install the 4040 (went through a few) it leaked all over the place, so I just left it alone.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 14 2005, 10:42 AM
how many other people do you know with 11" rears though?
[post=512050]Quoted post[/post]​

:wave:

pissedoffsol
@Jun 14 2005, 11:00 AM
just did some research on the adjustable... its $40 bucks. i might just get it.

http://search.ebay.com/wilwood-proportioning-valve_W0QQfnuZ1

but i'm not sure about the hard lines lining up, or even being remotely correct...
[post=512053]Quoted post[/post]​

Yup, you need two- split between front/rear for each pair.

-----

Just to let you know- with the stock proportioning valve, the rears lock up first in the wet, and the fronts lock up first (sometimes) at the limit in the dry. It's pretty neutral for me. Do keep in mind that my weight bias is different from yours too.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jun 14 2005, 12:43 PM
i say, hook the fronts directly to the mc using a coupler or something(or plug the rear line ports on the prop. valve)
[post=512083]Quoted post[/post]​

i just thought about this, and that wouldnt work because you have nowhere to get the pressure to the rears; you would have to use a tee or something in place of the oem prop valve to make those 2 adj. proportioning valves work.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 14 2005, 08:58 PM
Just to let you know- with the stock proportioning valve, the rears lock up first in the wet, and the fronts lock up first (sometimes) at the limit in the dry. It's pretty neutral for me. Do keep in mind that my weight bias is different from yours too.
[post=512282]Quoted post[/post]​

the hatch is pretty tail happy... and since i'm gutted, its very light in the back. i think i'll be locking up sooner than you would be due to the bias and the weight transfer.

i may have to do a LOT of experimenting with ride height. :p

not sure if your hatch is an SI or not but are you sure that it has the 30/40 and not a 30/30?

I know that the 93 EX coupe had a 30/30 in it because I pulled one at a junk yard and that car had front disc and rear drum (it had the larger front discs though)

sorry if I'm making an ass out of myself by asking this

hatch is a DX. honestly, im not sure what it is... i didin't know there were others. i'll have to peak at it tonight.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 15 2005, 08:26 AM
hatch is a DX. honestly, im not sure what it is... i didin't know there were others. i'll have to peak at it tonight.
[post=512404]Quoted post[/post]​

I can't tell which PV is on my LX because I can't see the numbers on the casting but I'm sure it's the same as the DX because it's the same brake setup and I was always let to believe that it was a 30/30 on the DX's and LX's

at some point I was told that the only car that had the 30/40 was the SI but I don't know how to confirm this short of checking an SI

anyway, let me know if you are able to read the casting on yours

so, whats the difference between a 3030 and a 4040 then?

granted, one is lower, but if at near-lock, its still a same split ratio, what's the difference?

I think I still have the one from the 95 del sol. I'll check tonight and tear it apart. See what it looks like. My guess is the difference is orifice sizes. I'll take some pics and post them. I'll do my best to measure them too.

Then you could compare the difference to your 4040.

Going on a lim..... I'll guess one or both the spool and spring will be different.
Spool: A different size orifice
Spring: Different force

Thye interior workings of the prop valve, kind of like a wastegate.

Brian from fastbrakes.com responded....

Originally posted by Brian from fastbrakes
Use the stock drum valve. There is no need to change it at all. Even on the
6G Civic Honda used the same valve for the HB's and the Si....

so, looks like i'm not going to change it after all.

Originally posted by seanjuan+Jun 15 2005, 10:10 AM-->
pissedoffsol
@Jun 15 2005, 08:26 AM
hatch is a DX.  honestly, im not sure what it is...  i didin't know there were others.  i'll have to peak at it tonight.
[post=512404]Quoted post[/post]​

I can't tell which PV is on my LX because I can't see the numbers on the casting but I'm sure it's the same as the DX because it's the same brake setup and I was always let to believe that it was a 30/30 on the DX's and LX's

at some point I was told that the only car that had the 30/40 was the SI but I don't know how to confirm this short of checking an SI

anyway, let me know if you are able to read the casting on yours
[post=512436]Quoted post[/post]​

my Si has a 30/40 on it, so theres your confirmation :D

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 15 2005, 01:33 PM
spool? string? define please
[post=512527]Quoted post[/post]​

you have your answer......for fast breaks :worthy:

There is a spring inside of the p/v. Make me believe there is a spool. In the machine tool/fixture industry we use vavles to control thing (like you didn't know). anyway there is a spool that shifts back and forth to control flow. think of it like a tube in a tube with hole that line up, shift it and they don't.

I am still going to tear it apart if I can find it.... curiousity has got me.

Back