$35,000 choices

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by BLOWBYUREX+Aug 11 2005, 02:07 PM-->
Seany-izzle
@Aug 11 2005, 12:55 PM
ride in style...  Mercedes Benz c230 sport sedan.
[post=538884]Quoted post[/post]​

might as well buy a Neon, same chassis, LOL
[post=538904]Quoted post[/post]​

gee you are totally right, fuck a benz, buy a neon i mean hell, snce the chassis is the same the whole fucking car must be the same. you are an idiot.

the problem with C230s is that they are only regarded as highly as they are in the US. The rest of the world (Especially germany) regard them as we do Chevy Monte Carlos.

Bottom of the line MB for top-dollar prices - Not a smart move. The 320 is smarter (more money, of course) I priced the 230 Ei-Klasse with all my toys right up to $37k.

-> Steve

well i just mentioned it cuz it looks good. i know its slow (0-60 in about 8 seconds, and a 1/4 mile time of 15.8) and i know it doenst handle great (about .84g) but hey, its a good lookin car.

how come everyone seems to think, if you can buy a 35k car, that you could in turn, but a 25k car, and have 10 grand left over? i dont think he said "i have $35k layin around, and i want to blow it all on a car, what do you think?" my assumption is that he can AFFORD to buy a 35k car. you know, as in finance....make payments. dude, do what you want. i would hardly pay attention to what 90%, if not more, of people on any website tell you. get what you like, and what suits your purpose. if you wanna drag race, best bet IS the cobra. if you wanna autoX, i dunno what the best choice is, i dont do that. if you HAVE TO buy an import, buy an import. If you just need a car to beat on, get a beater. if you just want a new toy, hey get a new toy. just make sure you are gettin what you can comfortably afford, and not stretchin yourself to thin, cause you'll end up dispising the car.

Originally posted by B16+Aug 10 2005, 09:46 PM-->
@Aug 10 2005, 06:22 PM
hope that 10 year warrenty lasts good with a dwindling company. also, when you mod the car, bye bye warrenty. i want a Z. so thats my choice.
[post=538629]Quoted post[/post]​

And lets believe everything we read in the intr4net.

Totally depends on your relationship with said dealer, just like EVERY other car company. The dealer I got mine through is not so uptight.
[post=538635]Quoted post[/post]​

hmm. dont believe me cause all my information is internet based.....thats understandable, if it were accurate. you are right, a personal relationship with the service department helps, but in the end, the company is there to make money. Toyota is probably the best company as far as covering things, atleast in all the experience i've had with vehicles. and i can cite certain examples if need be. Mitsu, from 2nd hand experiences mainly, seems to be one of the tightest as far as all that goes. And any company has that right.

additionally, if you are questioning me on mitsu being a dwindling US auto supplier...go check the stock history. check out how many models mitsu has pulled. look how drastic their body styling changed. those things dont happen all that often when a company keeps selling something greatly. Unless mitsu does something great, i'd bet MAX 10 more years of auto production over here.

A s4 would be nice if you could afford to do the maintenance. As B said, they're very costly to own/maintain. I have a very young friend that managed to get himself into a s4 by myself by the time he was a junior/senior in high school. He loved the car but eventually sold it off due to the costs of maintaining it. He said it was just too expensive to keep on the road, things broke and were expensive and they broke often.

The quattro system on Audi's is astounding. I love how you can throw 100% of the power to any one wheel on the car, its great. Repair bills and maintenance costs aren't so great.

For the original poster, a lot of cars have been posted that are nice cars but all have their advantages and disadvantages.

RWD sucks in snow.
FWD sucks period, in my mind.
AWD is great, but can be costly if something goes wrong.

If I had $35,000 to spend on a car, I certainly wouldn't buy a car for $25,000 then spend $10,000 on mods. Its just not reliable and you could find yourself with a great giant heap of garbage that won't run. Look at the cash that B dumped into the del sol and how that turned out. This is a tuner site, but $35,000 is no chump change and I wouldn't take my chances risking it on a car that could potentially not work out.

With that said, I also probably would want to buy a brand spanking new car with 5 miles on the car if I were going to spend $35,000. For that kind of money I would want the new car smell, the feel of a new car, the feel of sensitive non-worn pedals, factory sharp steering, a warranty provided by the factory and a whole other host of things rather than buying a car that already had 20,000-30,000 miles of its life used. To me thats just not worth it. Perhaps buying a car that has 10,000 miles on it that was $40,000-$45,000 and getting into a more expensive car that you would usually be able to afford. I definately wouldn't be buying a M5 with 50,000 miles on it for $35,000.

To each its own, there's a lot of choices that could be had for less than $35,000.

Originally posted by nismogod+Aug 11 2005, 03:11 PM-->
Originally posted by B16@Aug 10 2005, 09:46 PM
nismogod
@Aug 10 2005, 06:22 PM
hope that 10 year warrenty lasts good with a dwindling company. also, when you mod the car, bye bye warrenty.  i want a Z. so thats my choice.
[post=538629]Quoted post[/post]​

And lets believe everything we read in the intr4net.

Totally depends on your relationship with said dealer, just like EVERY other car company. The dealer I got mine through is not so uptight.
[post=538635]Quoted post[/post]​

hmm. dont believe me cause all my information is internet based.....thats understandable, if it were accurate. you are right, a personal relationship with the service department helps, but in the end, the company is there to make money. Toyota is probably the best company as far as covering things, atleast in all the experience i've had with vehicles. and i can cite certain examples if need be. Mitsu, from 2nd hand experiences mainly, seems to be one of the tightest as far as all that goes. And any company has that right.

additionally, if you are questioning me on mitsu being a dwindling US auto supplier...go check the stock history. check out how many models mitsu has pulled. look how drastic their body styling changed. those things dont happen all that often when a company keeps selling something greatly. Unless mitsu does something great, i'd bet MAX 10 more years of auto production over here.
[post=539005]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not questioning you on mitsu dwindling. That is a known. But personally I wouldn't use that to base my decision on a car purchase. I guess I'm more of a driver, if it drives good and I love it, I don't care who makes it. Maybe thats just me.

10K in mods is nothing when you get into the higher end cars.
Volks for the 350Z can set you back $3-4K with tires.

Anywho. I could never own a car that was stock. Maybe it's not the same issue with the guy who started this thread. but I'd have to at the min put exhuast/intake/wheels on it.

Keep in mind when I say this. I've had 2 Audis under my belt. They have one of the WORST RESALE values of ANY car. I don't care what you guys think. I have a fully loaded 2003 Audi A4 that cost 38K not even 2 years ago. as of right now I can't even get an offer for 22K in order to sell it I'm going to have to price it in the 19K range.

On top of that things break and break often they do. Thankfully it still has a warranty and that's one of the major selling points of it.

Damn Audi for making 3 new A4 models in 3 years! fuckers killed their own resale value.

BTW Parts ALONE for a basic Audi 2.8 is $550. As far as removing the front end to work on the car it seems like a pain but IMO it's one of the best damn designs on a car. I wish everycar had a front end that was that easy to remove!. you remove the front bumper cover in my A4s case it was 6 or so bolts. You then unplug the front fans/radaitor then remove something like 6 bolts that hold the front end on then it SWINGS out letting you access the whole front of the engine. IMO a damn good setup!

Still the price on the parts alone isnt worth it. plus there's TONS of common high dollar problems that are simple to fix like engine coils, yet they cost you out the ass for the parts.

On top of everything else the S4 even with 250HP motor are rather slow.

Just take your 35K with you to some dealership and have fun.

Cars I'd take for a test ride. CLK350 and the BMW Z4 the CLK might be out of your price range but if you wait a year I bet you could get one in the 35 range.

Originally posted by jeffie7@Aug 12 2005, 01:38 AM
Keep in mind when I say this. I've had 2 Audis under my belt. They have one of the WORST RESALE values of ANY car.
[post=539138]Quoted post[/post]​

I guess it depends what your demographic is. We picked up the g/f's A4 3.0 for $35,000 cdn. Including tax. It has 70,000 Kilometers on it and is in mint shape. The only option it doesn't have is the navigation (who really wants a cd-rom based nav system anyway?). But still, the point is, the car is a 2002, so a 3-year old car. It retailed for $49,000 brand new. So that's $14,000 depreciation over a three year period, which is actually quite amazing in itself. Better than a Honda, and most Japanese cars that usually depreciate in half within 4 years (domestics, usually within 2 years [with exceptions like the vette/viper]).

We looked around for the Audi for months and the prices were consistantly the same. As I said, I guess it depends on your demographic...around you, the demand for that type of vehicle could be low, and it would drop back to what the market wants to pay for it, not what it's worth (I remember reading a post recently about a town in the states (Colorado??) where stock 1990 civics were going for rediculous sums of money, like $5K??..it just depends where you are).
In Toronto, the A4 is a top seller, so there are lots of them around you pay the premium to own one.

I JUST checked the auto trader a minute ago (I'm on there all the time) and 1999-2000 A4's are still going for over $20,000 cdn with Kilometers over the 150,000 mark. Not too shabby if you ask me. By far not the worst of any car. It's actually better than most. At least it is over here. :shrug2:

Well if i buy a car and mod it i would only mod it with stuff from places like AEM, GReddy, or Factory teams like Mugen, MR, or Nismo so it wouldnt void a factory warranty (and yes i know some parts from those two companies will void a warranty).

Id like to do as little modding on a new car as possible.

Originally posted by adnoh@Aug 12 2005, 05:41 AM
I remember reading a post recently about a town in the states (Colorado??) where stock 1990 civics were going for rediculous sums of money, like $5K
[post=539194]Quoted post[/post]​

That'll be Oregon for ya. :(

'91 civic DX hatches with 150k miles for 3k all day long.

Originally posted by reikoshea@Aug 12 2005, 10:45 AM
Id like to do as little modding on a new car as possible.
[post=539212]Quoted post[/post]​

buy an sti.

oem wheels and tires are practically aftermarket already-- 140 treadwear re070's, 17x8 BBS wheels...

i have no mods on my sti (other than radio shit) and i'm perfectly happy driving it daily.

i don't feel like an idiot, girls look at me all the time, and radom assclowns at gas stations pull up and ask "is it fast" all the time. its quite funny.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 12 2005, 10:58 AM

buy an sti.

oem wheels and tires are practically aftermarket already-- 140 treadwear re070's, 17x8 BBS wheels...

i have no mods on my sti (other than radio shit) and i'm perfectly happy driving it daily.

i don't feel like an idiot, girls look at me all the time, and radom assclowns at gas stations pull up and ask "is it fast" all the time. its quite funny.

I'm going to go with B on this one. If you want pure performance go with the STI or Evo 8, although I've heard the Evo 8 feels chinsier.

If you want luxury + speed go with either a G35x or a S4.

Jeffie loves his 350z but I just don't think that its the best all around car when it comes to performance or luxury. It is a midground between the STI and G35 or s4 though.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Aug 12 2005, 09:06 AM-->
pissedoffsol
@Aug 12 2005, 10:58 AM

buy an sti.

oem wheels and tires are practically aftermarket already--  140 treadwear re070's, 17x8 BBS wheels...

i have no mods on my sti (other than radio shit)  and i'm perfectly happy driving it daily.

i don't feel like an idiot, girls look at me all the time, and radom assclowns at gas stations pull up and ask "is it fast" all the time.  its quite funny.

I'm going to go with B on this one. If you want pure performance go with the STI or Evo 8, although I've heard the Evo 8 feels chinsier.

If you want luxury + speed go with either a G35x or a S4.

Jeffie loves his 350z but I just don't think that its the best all around car when it comes to performance or luxury. It is a midground between the STI and G35 or s4 though.
[post=539251]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree. /universe implodes

Anyway. The 350z is nice if all you want is a decently powered 2-door sports car. That's all it's good for. Period, the end.

The G35 is WAY better looking (IMO), available in a sedan package, has a BIT more power (the brand new ones), but is heavier and less responsive because it's roomier and more luxurious. I think the G35 Coupe also has a miniscule back seat (probably not too functional, but at least it's there. Coupes are easier on insurance than 2-seat sports cars too.) The only major drawback to the G35 is going to be the maintenance costs, because it's an Infiniti as compared to a Nissan. You should be getting a warrantee though, so that's less of an issue.

The STi strikes a very attractive balance of both aspects. The 05s have very nice interiors and appointments (IMO), come with nice wheels and decent tires, in a 300/300 Turbo AWD package. Honestly, I would buy an STi over an Evo. Sure, the Evo may handle a little better, but the STi has the total package, and that's important.

Originally posted by jeffie7@Aug 12 2005, 01:38 AM
I have a fully loaded 2003 Audi A4 that cost 38K not even 2 years ago. as of right now I can't even get an offer for 22K in order to sell it I'm going to have to price it in the 19K range.

Wanna trade me for my 05 Type S?? It's only got 19,000 kilometers on it!!?????

:p

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Aug 12 2005, 11:47 AM
The STi strikes a very attractive balance of both aspects. The 05s have very nice interiors and appointments (IMO), come with nice wheels and decent tires, in a 300/300 Turbo AWD package. Honestly, I would buy an STi over an Evo. Sure, the Evo may handle a little better, but the STi has the total package, and that's important.
[post=539270]Quoted post[/post]​

Now the thinking man will get a wagon with a blown motor, (or a good motor, and sell the motor) and then get on ebay and buy a JDM fresh 2.5 TT motor for $1200.

STi wagon.

Originally posted by adnoh+Aug 12 2005, 04:41 AM-->
@Aug 12 2005, 01:38 AM
Keep in mind when I say this. I've had 2 Audis under my belt. They have one of the WORST RESALE values of ANY car.

I guess it depends what your demographic is. We picked up the g/f's A4 3.0 for $35,000 cdn. Including tax. It has 70,000 Kilometers on it and is in mint shape. The only option it doesn't have is the navigation (who really wants a cd-rom based nav system anyway?). But still, the point is, the car is a 2002, so a 3-year old car. It retailed for $49,000 brand new. So that's $14,000 depreciation over a three year period, which is actually quite amazing in itself. Better than a Honda, and most Japanese cars that usually depreciate in half within 4 years (domestics, usually within 2 years [with exceptions like the vette/viper]).

We looked around for the Audi for months and the prices were consistantly the same. As I said, I guess it depends on your demographic...around you, the demand for that type of vehicle could be low, and it would drop back to what the market wants to pay for it, not what it's worth (I remember reading a post recently about a town in the states (Colorado??) where stock 1990 civics were going for rediculous sums of money, like $5K??..it just depends where you are).
In Toronto, the A4 is a top seller, so there are lots of them around you pay the premium to own one.

I JUST checked the auto trader a minute ago (I'm on there all the time) and 1999-2000 A4's are still going for over $20,000 cdn with Kilometers over the 150,000 mark. Not too shabby if you ask me. By far not the worst of any car. It's actually better than most. At least it is over here. :shrug2:

Are you freaking kidding me? My brother bought his Audi TT in February for 20K with 40k on the odo. He just traded it in for 11k towards his RSX Type S. Did he get screwed? Yes, but The depreciation factor was amazing, because the highest private seller offer he got was only 15k. 5k in 6 months is a horrible depreciation.

PS. That thing broke down 4 times in the last sixmonths, and god damn each time was over 1k to fix shit. Recently before he sold it the turbo went out as well. I'd advise everyone unless you have the bucks to waste not to buy an audi.

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra+Aug 12 2005, 12:50 PM-->
Originally posted by adnoh@Aug 12 2005, 04:41 AM
jeffie7
@Aug 12 2005, 01:38 AM

Are you freaking kidding me? My brother bought his Audi TT in February for 20K with 40k on the odo. He just traded it in for 11k towards his RSX Type S. Did he get screwed? Yes, but The depreciation factor was amazing, because the highest private seller offer he got was only 15k. 5k in 6 months is a horrible depreciation.

PS. That thing broke down 4 times in the last sixmonths, and god damn each time was over 1k to fix shit. Recently before he sold it the turbo went out as well. I'd advise everyone unless you have the bucks to waste not to buy an audi.
[post=539313]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok, so...
1) I'm guessing your bro didn't get the extended warranty. None of those break downs should have cost him anything. I'm guessing he didn't buy it from an Audi dealer, because if he did, he would have received the Audi used car warranty, in addition to any remaining factory warranty. Plus, factory warranty covers up to 80K with free scheduled maintenence, meaning it NEVER should have cost him anything. Christ, you even get free oil changes up to 80K.
2) If there was a $5K depreciation in 6 months, he payed way too much for it in the first place. That's incredibly obvious. That doesn't happen. Not even to a domestic.

Long and short of it..your bro had a bad experience. Happens to everyone once in a while.

As I said in the first place.....demographics play a large role in the resale value of your car.

Alright, lets not get carried away with personal bad experiences here unless they're reinforced with some statistics and not just a bad personal story.

Every car has its ups and every car has its downs.

Damn near every car listed, you're going to pay far too much for parts. They're all foreign cars and foreign cars carry with them expensive price tags on parts, unlike most domestics. Some may be more expensive than others but you're splitting hairs here especially when its on a new car thats warrantied bumper to bumper, by the time stuff starts breaking on you it will either be covered by warranty or you probably will have sold the car off. Most people don't buy $35,000 cars and then run them into the ground, keeping them to 200,000 miles because by the time it gets 60,000-100,000 miles you already want a new car again. *MOST* new cars are covered completely up until 70,000 miles. Of course I'm talking about buying a car from a stealership here and not privately. There's no way in hell that I would $35,000 into a privately owned vehicle that isn't going to be warrantied, its just too risky of an investment.

Back