3d printer

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Y was never the issue. I forget what it was...

Now I'm having issues with the filament feeding correctly, it keeps jamming up because it's too soft, but heating it a little bit longer in the oven (at roughly 375) should.

Yep, so it's not jamming because it's too soft, it's jamming because the extruder has a 4mm hole for the 1.75mm filament. Just ordered a few different filaments to try, and some parts to try to fix it enough so I can print a new extruder body. I think I'm going to sleeve the hole in the extruder body with some PTFE tubing, and hopefully it'll give me some more longevity.

Also, I'm seeing a bit of jitter on the belted axis, but that's because I don't have the belts tight enough yet. Supposedly I'm supposed to be able to play a bass note on each belt.

Doing a lot of research about HCN, CO, and other emisisons in melted thermoplastics, it's a nominal risk, even in a large-quantity industrial setting. The guidance given to employees who work in extrusion plants is "wash your hands" and "don't eat the plastic." Sound advice for anyonedoing anything near chemicals, lol. I have a CO detector sitting right next to my printer, and in about 40m of filament, it hasn't gone off once.

I think I fixed the overhang issue by adding a fan and lowering the extrusion temperature.

Is your printer big enough to print ITBs?

It should be. What size did you have in mind?

Max for my printer:
190mm X
130mm Y
115mm Z

Not nearly the 8^3" I was hoping for, but I can use this one to build the parts to make one that big. Next time I'm going to be using the Rostock RepRap designs.

What kind of ITBs did you want? I'll see if I can make them.

20130713_092143.jpg for sbc :ph34r:

I don't think you understand how this works, lol. I need measurements before I can draft up anything...

No I know. Haha I wouldn't expect anything like that. Just dreamin. :\

I'd love to get some of the honda models. I could scale them and whip them out in a couple hours.

Just printed a case for my Nexus 4. ABS is too stiff to use for a phone case, I'll try nylon in a bit, after I print the other stuff queued up.

Is there any noticeable deformation so far? I know with the printers we use at school we automatically scale up by 10% or so just to get remotely close to the desired dimensions.

It was small for my phone. Probably 1mm too small. I'll probably reprint it sometime.

I'll get some pics soon. Now that I know it'll do what it's supposed to, I'm going to be printing the wear parts for my printer in case something breaks.

Stuff works amazingly now. I discovered that I needed to print with a much lower layer-height, and now after some research, I discovered the math to calculate this:

Best Layer Heights: 0.399, 0.319, 0.255, 0.249, 0.199, 0.099, 0.049

Meaning, I can print in 50 micron layers, and as small as 12.5 micron with 100% dimensional accuracy. Supposedly, I can print in 6.25 microns on Z, but 22.5 on X and y.

unfortunately, if I do print that, it'll take YEARS to print something usable, lol.

That's pretty impressive, especially for a home-built printer.

Question, are you filling each layer 100%?

Back