3d printer

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
Note the section... OK, now let's go.

Does anyone else have a 3d printer?

I'm building a reprap Prusa Mendel, mainly to make jewelry and other things that I can't make with metal.

Ive spent a lot of time working with a makerbot 3d replicator. They're pretty cheaply made, but they are certainly useful for prototyping. We have a much nicer printer on campus, but I won't get to use it until next year.

How will your model be controlled? Meaning software, etc

I wish I could show you guys some of the stuff we print at work, but I can't. :D

I'll get my own 3D printer at home at some point- not sure which one yet though. One of my buddies and I have been talking about going in together on a kit.

I wish I could show you guys some of the stuff we print at work, but I can't. :D

Can you print titanium too?

There are a few printers at work, but I can't really use one to print an engagement ring... I plan on making the positive in PLA, then doing some Lost-PLA casting. The best part is that I can make a duplicate ring out of sterling silver and CZ too, for vacationing and the like -- instead of travelling with the platinum and D/FL ring.

Last edited:
Can you print titanium too?

:ph34r:

There are a few printers at work, but I can't really use one to print an engagement ring... I plan on making the positive in PLA, then doing some Lost-PLA casting. The best part is that I can make a duplicate ring out of sterling silver and CZ too, for vacationing and the like -- instead of travelling with the platinum and D/FL ring.

Go look at:

Titanium Era - Titanium Rings, Titanium Wedding Bands, Promise Rings, Diamond Engagement Rings and Titanium Jewelry

I bought our rings there- highly customizable, and quite a few different styles. Great customer service and response time too.

Nah, not looking to give her a Ti engagement ring. Has to be Platinum. I'm sure you understand, lol.

I do like the idea of a Ti wedding band though, but that comes later.

Just bought some stuff:
GT2 belts
0.9 degree stepper motors
mechanical end stop switches
Sanguinololu 1.3a Kit
5x A4988 controller boards
1.75mm Ubis Hot end with .4mm tip and cables
0.35 mm tip

Total: $291.92

Now I feel like I could have bought a pre-made printer, but it wouldn't have a print area of 8"^3.

EDIT:
and, had I bought this, it would have cost $899, and I would have to wait at least 3 weeks.

EDIT2: Make that $307.42, forgot about the heat-pad. So, total is $407.42 for an 8"^3 printer.

Last edited:
Damn:
Location Date Local Time Activity
Maumee, OH, United States 07/02/2013 3:00 P.M. Emergency conditions beyond UPS' control.

Good choice on the heat pad. There's one for the makerbot that costs ~$20 and my school will not buy one. The result is extreme warping in large, flat based objects. Also does this if you use a raft of any sort.

Yeah, I want to be able to print ABS or PLA, so the heat pad is a must.

I have some ideas for reinforcing plastic parts with steel and/or glass fibers, so we'll see if they actually work.

Hold up, you made/are in the process of making your own 3d printer? I didn't catch that the first time through.

RIF

Hold up, you made/are in the process of making your own 3d printer? I didn't catch that the first time through.

RIF

Yep. Bought all the parts, just waiting for delivery and the subsequent build-fest.

Oh, and find some filament. I'm thinking Nylon 6, some PLA, and some ABS.

Back