3rd GEN ZC Motor SWAP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i got a 91 honda civic hb dx and i bought a grey plug zc motr (3rd Gen) and i need to know what i need to get the motor drop in and running and can i use my stack dx tranny...

Alright, I'm not familiar with ZC's and grey plugs... what OBD does this make the engine? What did it come out of? Once you answer this, I can help ya'.

I dont know but its a 3rd gen grey plug and it came off a EG5 and it doesnt have a angle cam sensor like the second gen ZC DOHC.

Yo, Man I’m in the same situation I have a Gray valve cover and I thinks it’s 3rd gen how did you get it to bolt up on the driver side mount I had to grind down the stock mount. And it still don’t fit,what did you use? I’m thinking maybe hasport mounts might work, But I would have to see them again. I’m using the Si tranny which is my stock tranny so the tranny mounts bolted up fine. It’s just the driver side.If there’s any other problem with your swap inform me at that way I know what to expect. Thanx man and keep me informed!

swap the mount bracket on the motor from the single cam motor to your zc motor and then it should drop in

Ight so I just swapped the mounting bracket from a single over head cam? Which car would I find these parts out of? And how much should I pay for one? Is my car obd0 or obd1? I grinned down my old Si mount I guess I should just get another one, And mount it to a 7mgte brackets, or a Rb26dett, You recommend a 2JZGTE. What kind modification are we looking at?I did use the old Si driver side motor mount,but it didn't fit the engine it was lenning to one side and the mount was to long that's why I cut it down and it still doesn't fit. I think my Zc is new maybe a 93-96 I'm going to call and find out. Thanx for the help!

ooo boy..
you got some fun nightmarish work ahead of you...

1st off)
Since you bought an OBD1 DOHC ZC engine aka 3g-ZC, yer gonna have to do a few changes to it so it will be compatible with your EF.
2nd)
you're gonna have to convert your DX to Multi-point Fuel Injection (MPFi), just like the Si model has....have fun doing this !

Motor mounts:
reuse ALL of the engine mounts from your DX motor on the 3g-ZC.

Transmission, Clutch, Shift linkage, & Axles:
You won't be able to use the 3g-ZC tranny because of its Hydro type configuration. So, you're gonna have to reuse your lamer DX tranny on it, along with your complete DX clutch components (flywheel, pressure plate, disc, throw-out bearing etc), axles, and shift linkage. It will ALL bolt up to the ZC engine.

*catches breath*

Once you've converted your car to MPFi....

ECU:
You can use any 88-91 Si ecu (PM6) in stock form to power the engine, or if you want to have it reprogrmmed to PM7 ecu specs you can do that too, but it has to be a 90-91 PM6 ecu. 88-91 PM6 ecu's are non-programmeable. If you come to this point & would like your PM6 chipped to PM7 spec hit me up =)
(PM7 is the JDM ecu for JDM 89-91 civic/crx's equipped with a 2g-ZC DOHC engine)

Wiring & Distributor (dizzy):
As mentioned before, you need to convert your car to MPFi spec in order to make your car's wiring compatible with the ZC engine. One option now, is to choose whether you want to stay OBD-0 or go OBD-1. If you decide to go OBD1, you still need to convert over to MPFi....there's no escaping this!!!! But if you do go OBD1, you'll save a lotta hassle off your back trying finding OBD-0 parts that you need in making the 3g-ZC compatible to your DX. There's a hanful of perks going OBD1 (better ecu programming & electronics mainly).

Since you have a 3g-ZC, you can't quite use the dizzy off it because of the OBD/OBD1 differences. You'll need to find an 88-89 integra distributor if you want everythign to be clean & compatible, otherwise you need to find a 88-91 Si dizzzy and modify it to work on the ZC engine -- this can get a little complicated though...so I suggest you try & find a 88-89 integra dizzy.

Did you get a P29 ecu or any ec for that matter with your ZC engine at all?

...this all, is a loose ballpark of things you'll need to do in order to get this ZC engine to work in your car. If I were you, I'd try and return it and get an (89-91) 2g-ZC engine+trans, which is way more compatible with your DX. but the MPFi conversion still needs to be done!!!! haha...

Thanx for the help,but I already have an Si Do i still have to do MPFI? And I have a grey valve cover so what year is my engine? As for wiring we just unpluged everything and plug the old stuff into the Zc it worked out fine.But I haven't started it yet. It just the driverside motor mount. what do I do?It's not lining up. Thanx for the help~!

Originally posted by Yspeed@Mar 12 2004, 11:25 AM
Thanx for the help,but I already have an Si Do i still have to do MPFI? And I have a grey valve cover so what year is my engine? As for wiring we just unpluged everything and plug the old stuff into the Zc it worked out fine.But I haven't started it yet. It just the driverside motor mount. what do I do?It's not lining up. Thanx for the help~!

uh, my reply was meant for dragjunky -- he claims to own a DX.

but since you have an Si, no, you don't need to convert to MPFi, all Si's are MPFi spec.

a "grey valvecover" doesn't help distinguish the year of an engine. I'm not even sure I've seen an OEM grey v.cover. YOu have to look at your head, right above exhaust port #4, there's a round embossed numbers, those numbers can help tell you what year your motor is, or head is at least:

http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/head/bseries.yearofhead_1.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong besides being OBD 1 is'nt that engine VTEC <_< . That particular engine came on the 92-95 civic. Just asking not all sure and just wondering, later guys..

I got A 91 Si Harness now how do I wire it in to the zc I notice The plug wont fit in the driver side harness what do I do.... and everything else fits on my DX

Everything is in except i cant wire the si motor harness with the dx driver side ecu harness what do i do..........

do I have to Convert to OBD1 in order to crank my 3rd Gen ZC on my 91 civic dx. If so will my cluster and gagues work if i change to OBD1. I need help fast I've not got it to crank since I droped it in two weeks ago.....

Dragjunky what motor mount did you use? I have tryed my stock Si motor mount and it doesn't line up It's to far in the bracket. Thanx for the help.

Back