6x9s in a 5" hole

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reikoshea

HS Troll...And Mod
VIP
Is there a conversion plate or something to allow someone (namely me) to install a 6x9 in a 5" space. I neglected to check out what speakers i had in the back and when i went to install those i found they were 5" rounds. My new speakers were in my trunk so long that the box got beat to crap by the sub, but the speakers are still perfect. Would best buy still take those back, or should i plan on giving them to my mom as a late birthday present?

well you have a couple choices, you can try to return them at best buy, i used to work there and they will usually take anything back as long as you have a reciept. option two you can buy a set of 6x9 boxes and put them in those and mount them somewhere. personally if it were me i would try to sell them to a friend that can use em and buy a set of 5" speakers. nobody that i can tink of makes plates that will adapt 6x9's to 5"

Yeah im probably going with the last option. I just moved the 5" Pioneer 2-ways that were in my door to the back (to replace the factory speakers) and then i put the Xplod 5" 3-ways that i bought in the door.

If i would have looked before hand i would have just put the new speakers in the back, but you live and you learn. Just cause the 5th Gen ludes have 6x9s in the back doesnt mean the 4th Gens do.

You should have been able to ask an installer what size was in the rear....

Now another option not explored is to just make a plate yourself. If you cant work with metal you could probably use a piece of wood if ya wanted. Kinda ghetto I know but I am just pointing out that wood may work just as well as metal. IMO those 6x9 boxes are the gayest thing I've seen since Gay Went To Gay-Town. True, they serve their purpose and may help the speakers sound better, but I don't care.

Thanks for the thought. Im great with metal, the problem is i have NO tools, and high schools frown upon people who mooch their ghetto tools. Although when you can weld a solid bead with a ghetto tig torch ya know yer good.

yeah there is...the guy who owned my car before me had an ass welded hanger for the muffler. my shop teacher let me borrow the welder so i could fix it, and we didnt even get along.

if a hanger broke off then it was not welded ther was no bead
and the teacher let you take a tig home? and you have 220v

Ill have to show you what i meant tomorrow. The dude just put the wire on the pipe and hit the torch...then let the wire melt into a ball and thought it was a good welding job. So i took it to the body shop at my old high school talked with my old teacher and he was like "Thats shittier than anything you did your first day in my class....and you were a fuck up." So he let me borrow his torch while i was still in the shop, so i could fix my exhaust. Also borrowed his grinding wheel. I was not feeling that crap on my muffler. Man i wish i had a garage with good tools.

Oh, and yes i do have 220, my laundry room is right next to the garage. I could pull off running that cord from the drier's 220.

I had that same problem but my 6x9's were 800 watts a peice so I WANTED them in my back space lol! I got a air tool and the grinder and cut the whole bigger in the back then made a little wood lifter to make them set straight then I just cut my interior a bit with utility knife to make them fit and there ya go 6x9's in a 5 inch hole! lol and then you just carpet over the wood and it looks all nice!

Yeah, i didnt have that problem. These were about 150 bucks. They were pioneer 4-way 6x9s.

I put 6X9s in the back of my crx... It took alot of fabrication, but I got some pioneer 4 ways to fit back there. Had to do alot of cutting and some fiberglass work, but they are in there and sound awesome. Its not very difficult to do, just take your time : ) Good luck.

Ive completely given up hope on these things. Fab on that area is going to be a BITCH.

I can barely fit the speakers in, and i cant take out those lil black rods for the trunk (i dunno what they do). Im gonna live with what i have now. Ill probably sell my speakers or give em to my mom or something. I see normal 5"s in my future.

my hatch only had 6.5's in the doors, i have JVC 5.25 in there now with mistubishi speaker holders. i need to find some regular honda speaker holders. there is wiring in the back near th tailinghts for rear speakers, but my car didn't come with any rear spaekers. it would be pointless to me to put some6x9's back there cause when i put my sub's in i wont be able to hear them anyways.

6x9s in a 5" hole without major modification? Sorry, you can't break the laws of physics.

Maybe if you built a device that converts matter into energy you could store half the 6x9 as energy in a small capacitor...

I'm confused. :bonk:

Back