'89 Hatchback

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ChefWRX

My younger brother recently received an '89 Civic hatchback as his first car (he's 16).

My main question is this. What's the best option for an engine swap? I see that the B17c5 puts out 195 HP and has an LSD(4th-Gen-Civic.com- Engine Swaps). I like the idea of this engine, but I can't seem to find one online for sale.

Also, what are other common/easy upgrades that can be done to this model? Is there a disk brake swap for the rear drums? Can upholstery/interior kits be purchased?

Thanks in advance!

That website is mistaken. There is no such thing as a "B17C5". The Integra GS-R uses a B18C1, which puts out 170 horsepower. The Integra Type R uses a B18C5, which puts out 195 horsepower, so that's most likely what they were referring to. Search on "B18C5" and you'll likely come up with some hits. They're somewhat rare though...so they're not going to be cheap.

The "best" engine really depends on his budget and how much power he wants to make...

And yes, you can upgrade the brakes to rear discs using parts from a 90-93 Integra or parts from the JDM SiR version of the 88-91 Civic. The Integra discs will be cheaper and easier to find. Not sure what you mean by "upholstery/interior kits", but just Google and I'm sure you'll find something...

a young kid in his first car shouldn't need much more than an si swap (d16a6) or a zc. they are both cheap (sub 500 if you look) and are a pretty direct swap too.

giving a young kid a 200+ hp, 1900 lb car more than not ends up in death of said 16 year old.

the zc is pretty peppy and it will still be a FUN car to drive.

a young kid in his first car shouldn't need much more than an si swap (d16a6) or a zc. they are both cheap (sub 500 if you look) and are a pretty direct swap too.

giving a young kid a 200+ hp, 1900 lb car more than not ends up in death of said 16 year old.

the zc is pretty peppy and it will still be a FUN car to drive.

I did that swap (dohc zc) in a 91 civic hatch. Super fun car. Great little underrated engine, and the zc trans is geared right ip there with a b16... Great starter engine. Personally, with a car that old, i would address all the safety/drivability issues first (it will have a few) rubber bushings, tired suspension bits, brake upgrade.. THEN go for mo' powaa! Just my two cents... Repair before upgrade...

Thank you for all of the input guys, I greatly appreciate it.

What's the ZC you guys are talking about? This sounds like a viable option. What would the engine model number and best transmission combo be? Also, do any of you have recommendations on where to purchase the engine?

Sounds like a 92 Integra would be a good car to steal the rear brake parts from. I'll start looking for them.

This is going to be a fun project. I'll have my brother post some before pictures when he has time.

Edit: - The car was in an accident this weekend, we'll have to see if the frame is in sound condition before we continue. If the car is hosed, do any of you have a recommendation for a fun project car for less than $3,000 ?

Thanks again!

Dc4 integra... Depending on where you live (rust-wise) will determine what kind condition you can find one in...

And yes, you can upgrade the brakes to rear discs using parts from a 90-93 Integra or parts from the JDM SiR version of the 88-91 Civic. The Integra discs will be cheaper and easier to find. Not sure what you mean by "upholstery/interior kits", but just Google and I'm sure you'll find something...

I just wanted to say that any disk break rear trailing arms will work from any 92-2000 Civic(89+ if JDM), 89-91 CRX si, or any 90-2001 Integra. My 90 Civic has 93 Civic Si rear disks. You will need specifically from the 90-93 Integra COUPE, e-brake cables. You will just need to reuse your current lower control arms etc from the Civic.

Thank you for all of the input guys, I greatly appreciate it.

What's the ZC you guys are talking about? This sounds like a viable option. What would the engine model number and best transmission combo be? Also, do any of you have recommendations on where to purchase the engine?

Sounds like a 92 Integra would be a good car to steal the rear brake parts from. I'll start looking for them.

This is going to be a fun project. I'll have my brother post some before pictures when he has time.

Edit: - The car was in an accident this weekend, we'll have to see if the frame is in sound condition before we continue. If the car is hosed, do any of you have a recommendation for a fun project car for less than $3,000 ?

Thanks again!

"ZC" is the engine designation (actually stamped on the block) for a few of the JDM (Japan Domestic Market) D series engines. "ZC" usually means that the engine is the highest performing configuration of that D series block type- there are DOHC ZCs, SOHC ZCs (same as the USDM D16A6 but with a hotter cam), and SOHC VTEC ZCs (basically the same as the USDM D16Z6). You can bolt the ZCs up to any D series transmission- that's what makes them so easy to swap into 88-00 model year Civics.

If you're buying engines online, Hmotorsonline.com is a great place to start. They're not the absolute cheapest, but they're very close. Their selection is excellent, and their customer service is awesome. I bought a ZC from Hmotors to put into my wife's old 88 Civic sedan, and it fired right up after I refreshed the wear items and dropped it into her car. I think the whole mess was $700 shipped, plus about $200 in extra hardware to tune it up and install it.

As far as cars in the $3k range to play with, you can't go wrong with the Civics and Integras from 89-00. If you're able to find a decent 240sx, they're pretty sweet toys too- but getting expensive because of the drift craze. Older Corollas and Tercels aren't bad either, since they had some hot JDM engines available for not much money.

Oh, and just thought of a great recommendation in your price range- older Miatas. You can pre-95 models for under $3k all the time, and they're awesome out of the box. They handle extremely well, are badass for honing driving skills, and have superb aftermarket support for upgrades when they're needed.

Back