90 teg issues FIXED!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mintoxik

Well hello hondaswap its been a few years since I've been on here. Tried to get out of the import thing sold all my honda stuff and got board and a little domesticated lol so I picked up a pretty clean DA. Has swapped b16a all stock expect for short ram intake. Anyway now for the fun. I made a few rookie mistakes because it was my import in a few years and can't lie I was excited. The car runs and is drivable but if I go more then 1/4 throttle it bogs and WOT I will be lucky if it stays on also seems to flood it self out once I drive it say 15 miles and stop for more then 10 min won't start for about 30 min. But once its warm I can ease into the throttle and slowly to WOT and it is good can fly threw gears I have read and read and tried many things. New fuel pump, plugs, wire, o2, dizzy. Pains me to say but even took car in to get timed its balls on. No gaskets leaks I can detect using some stater fluid I did try a new map. once I unplugged the old one car ran awesome didn't idle very well and ran rich but had power cruised good. Put new map in and ran not as good but much better so I was thinking awesome good to go went to store few hours later same problem but it ran ok till hit vtec range 4500 rpm bogged out and no CEL any ideas?

Dizzy is new and I've swhiched injectors a few times. I would think if it was the dizzy or injectors wouldn't it be more consistent?

Well I seafoamed the car last night definitely helped its smoother. Once you get going and ease into the throttle its ok still hesitates at about 4200-4500rpm. If you let of the gas and ease back into it seems alright. I'm thinking maybe ecu is bad I'm really at a loss. It seems this is a fairly common problem with the b16a

Ok no post thats ok so I was checking my ignition timing thinking maybe might be a problem well it is at idle it is balls on when you ease into throttle it advances a little what I kinda expect but at WOT what causes it to bog the timing is retarded about 3/4 in what could causr this? Or am I just overthinking? My dad said could be a gear in the dizzy that slips under hard acceleration its dark now so kinda sol

Does the cell come on and go back off when you turn the key to the on position?
Make sure the tps and map sensor plugs aren't mixed up.

No codes showing map and tps can't mix up there accross the engine bay from eachother map is on firewall behind inake wires would not reach tps or visa versa

Is there anything in the dizzy that changes timing on the fly like old v8 vacuum advance kind of thing?

no. The distributor has fixed timing. The ignition module and the ECM determine the ignition timing, which is why you need to put it into timing bypass mode before you can properly set the timing with a timing light.

no. Assumptions are never safe. After reading again what you have done so far I have 2 questions. have you serviced the fuel filter, and what color is your oil?

Fuel filter is new and oil is the color it should be not milky or not watered down with gas I'm leaning that maybe the fuel pressure regulator could be going or is bad. The thing that is really hard about all this is its like 2 different symptoms from cold start to a warm start. When cold really doesn't want to run takes about 3-5 atempts to start then idle is up snd down or just low the up and down is the itcv or whatever ill fix that today.when warm it starts better still a little rough but much better and doesn't bog or hesitate as much still enough to where you want to drive it off a cliff somedays

Last edited:
You may want to take a look at your intake air temp sensor. My brothers hatch had a problem like that and it turned out the IAT was slightly melted on the tip.

So tonight will driving I stopped seen a friend for bout an hour jump in start car get about 10 feet cel comes on car dies like wtf so check little red light solid red this has happend couple times b4 i don't know why I didn't look before but solid red or code 0 is ecu but once I turned key off it started right up could this just be a hiccup or maybe ecu is bad I would have to buy one cause to my knowledge no one runs obd0 around here

got new ecu much better but still bogs at wot maybe tps havnt had a chance to see if it still starts hard when cold will update tomorrow

Glad to hear your making progress. Let me know what all has improved and the new and or lingering issues are and I will try to help you get it figured out.

well thank you on cold start up its still a hard start takes a couple minutes to fire up then its pretty rough idle car is pretty hard to drive when engine is cold can barley. Press the throttle to much and it jerks like if your tapping the gas in first at wot it bogs hard and rpm will slowly drop it is much better when warm still boggy at wot and gets hung up at 4-5k rpm if you let off and ease back into the throttle to able 6 you get alot more power still doesn't seem to be fully there but yes it is progress

Back