92 civic sedan w/b16 sirII

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xx1424xx

I have lots of questions...

I have just dropped in a b16a sirII into a 1992 civic dx sedan. working great but the suspension sucks. Presently installed I have 17" ALT wheels running 40 series tires. I also have aftermarket shocks and springs (lowered 1.5"). I would say the wheels are to large and the drop too low (with new engine). I plan on running 16" rims on 45 series tires and getting some quality coilovers but I need help on the other things...

My question is what would be the best suspension set-up (for tight turns and bumpy city streets)

Should I just use aftermarket parts combined with my stock parts?
or
Should I do a gsr suspension swap and then add aftermarket parts?

How much better is the gsr suspension?
I was told many parts on the gsr are no different than my stock civic parts.

What really makes up a suspension on a civic?

tie rods, sway bars, control arms, shocks, springs, torsion bars, bushings, trailing arms, ball joints, strut rods? Did I forget anything or put too much in?

The guy who is working on my car said he would sell me a gsr brake & suspension package (incl: master cylinder, new rotors, new pads & installation) for $700 but I have a feeling its not going to replace everything. What else should I request from him to have a complete package or does it matter beyond what he is giving me.

Say cost is not a factor in this equation.

sorry for being so green.

Your going to find better handling with 15in wheels.

The normal build up for a suspension on civics consisit of the following

Shocks+Spring or true coilovers
Swaybars
Verious braces (ie top strut bar, lower tie bar, ect)

If your going to be going aftermarket anyways, there is no need to go with the GSR suspension. The GSR suspension is almost identical with exception to the rear control arms (have holes for an OEM style sway bar) the front knuckles (allow you to run integra brakes) and has a rear swaybar (but is not the best swaybar). Since you have a DX, you have drum brakes in the rear. It would be good to get the rear trailing arms, brake lines, calipers, ebrake cables ect so you can do a disc brake conversion. However 700 is WAY to much for that stuff. You could almost go with and ITR 5 lug conversion for that price.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Sep 29 2004, 05:13 AM
Your going to find better handling with 15in wheels.

The normal build up for a suspension on civics consisit of the following

Shocks+Spring or true coilovers
Swaybars
Verious braces (ie top strut bar, lower tie bar, ect)

If your going to be going aftermarket anyways, there is no need to go with the GSR suspension. The GSR suspension is almost identical with exception to the rear control arms (have holes for an OEM style sway bar) the front knuckles (allow you to run integra brakes) and has a rear swaybar (but is not the best swaybar). Since you have a DX, you have drum brakes in the rear. It would be good to get the rear trailing arms, brake lines, calipers, ebrake cables ect so you can do a disc brake conversion. However 700 is WAY to much for that stuff. You could almost go with and ITR 5 lug conversion for that price.
[post=396129]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for the advice. Is $700 too much for gsr rear trailing arms, brake lines, calipers, ebrake cables and also new rotors, new pads, gsr master cylinder and all needed to convert the front brakes too (larger rotors/calipers) and including labor? It sounds like a lot of work for anything less. hmm.

If that includes the front brake hardware AND the master cylinder/booster (can't just swap the master, it bolts up different compared to the Civic's), then yes that's a good price.

Back