92 prelude SI H23A Swap with a H22 V-tec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

puma

Hi,I am new at this forum and this is my firs post. I have a 92 prelude SI which comes with H23A non v-tec
I want to swap it with a H22 V-tec (is the JDM spec same as the US Spec?) What will be the major modification that I will have to do to my car, or is it just a bolt on modification. From what I have heard is that the 1992 si comes prewired for a v-tec engine but for some reason that engine was never released in the US for that year. I like to hear from someone that has already this swap and can tell me exactly what the modifications will be. One more thing, will my car still pass the emissions test in california after making the swapping?
Than you very much, any info will be appreciated.

in cali, head swaps are not smog legal, so you are going to have to do the whole swap.
you need same year or newer h22a.

im not sure about any other info, as i don't know what the si is wired for stock.

depending on your ultimate REAL goal is what you should go with... if you plan on going turbo i say keep the tranny you have for the boost... if not, get the whole swap, either way the h22 swap is just like a stock replacement other than vtec... im not sure if its wired in stock or not because i steer clear of wiring... its the devil. btw, is the lude a stick or auto? just wondering

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 29 2002, 10:58 PM
in cali, head swaps are not smog legal, so you are going to have to do the whole swap.
you need same year or newer h22a.

im not sure about any other info, as i don't know what the si is wired for stock.

to back what he said..here is the site CA Aftermarket Guide From the DMV

and if you look under heads it says
"Heads
Replacement heads must be identical to the original part. Head swaps from different years, engines or makes are illegal. Aftermarket heads or valve train components that are not made to the same specifications as the original parts require an Executive Order to be legal for street use."

you can still do it..but its illegal and you'll be screwed in the long run.

h23 = boost like a mofo,
the ludes with the h23 or whatever have the wiring harness still there just capped off.. u will be needing the ecu of course, and whenever u ht vtec the lude has a light that comes on for it and the h23 does not have that light, but anyways don't worry about that, it really depends on what your looking to do in the future with it.. boost, or just u want vtec cause everyone thinks that is cool, which really does not matter..
goto http://www.turbo-kits.com they got a kit for the h23 which will cost just as much as a swap and the labor.. holla, holla!!

B16 owner:
vtec- it's not just cool, it's a way of life

b18b owner:
vtec- not a bad way to save gas

VTEC Ownz Joo.jpg

haha, vtec is the way of life when u got it.. but when u don't its the best to just boost and get them gears right.. :D

This head swap on the block is a common thing.. i have thought about it before.. cause they make more shit for the h22 head and stuff than h23.. in the block u would have to change the compression to the h22 head .. then again it would depend on what u would like to do.. i would go high compression.. thus means real good fuel rate and air intake and exhaust going out.. h23 with a h22 head would be the shit with block work done and head work with everything u need and then boost the living hell out of it.. i might try it sometime soon.. get rid of some stuff on my car and and do it

Back