96 civic B20 swap help needed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Forgive me if this is covered elsewhere - I tried searching the site and didn't come up with an answer.

I have a 96 civic hatch and a B20B that I dropped in. I thought I had B series axles, but the don't seem to be long enough. They are about an inch too short to fit properly. I thought that only b-series axles had the intermediate shaft, and that's what I have right now. So do I have the right axles or what? This is starting to get rediculous. I need some serious help, as I am on the verge of going crazy. I have been without the car for over 2 months now, and I have managed to overcome all of the other little issues that have popped up along the way. If I have to pull the front suspension apart one more time, I am going to set the car on fire...

next question...... what axles are you using? B series is a little vague

Originally posted by 97CTR@Jul 7 2005, 06:04 PM
next question...... what axles are you using? B series is a little vague
[post=522313]Quoted post[/post]​

I thought they were all the same. I got the off ebay, and they were described as:
"....purchased w/ b16a sir II swap w/ Y21 tranny..."

I took a measurement of them and went to Napa - they are the same length as 94 teg axles.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jul 7 2005, 06:53 PM
They should be fitting fine.
[post=522335]Quoted post[/post]​

I know. But they don't. Like I said - when the axle is right against the tranny, it is about an inch too short and there is nothing extending out of the knuckle to thread the axle nut onto. The rest of the suspesion is all in place.

Has anyone done this specific swap (ek b20)? What could I be doing wrong???

Have you tried working the splines into the hub? Sounds like you are not getting them in all the way.

I started with the spline all the way in, so that isn't the problem. when it was all the way in the hub, with the nut on, it wouldn't go all the way into the tranny. I undid the nut and knocked it all the way in the tranny, and then there wasn't any left to put the nut on.

Sometimes you have to mess with it, those are the axles you need, or some how you hot a messed up axle that was somehow working in the previous car

I done a B20B swap in my 1992 Hatch and used all the axles from a 1990-1993 Integra. I have had a Si tranny in there and am now using a GSR tranny. The only problem I have had is with the seals that go in where the axles go. Since I am using 90-93 B Series axles I had to get the same year seals so that they fit the axles right. Cause the 94 and up had a smaller hole so I was just smashing them against the differential and leaking fluid. So I would make sure that what ever year axles you use you get everything the same years. 90-93 or 94 and up.

You have to have the matching halfshaft if you use the 90-93 axles, as the 94+ have different inner joints on the drive side.

Back