98 accord into 92 accord?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondarin

Please enter a value using 50 characters or fewer.
VIP
okay, i've searched the forum before a couple of months ago, and couldn't find this swap.... i don't really have time to do a search right now, cuz i'm at a friends house. and, if the moderators think this should be somewhere else, i'm sorry.

anyway, now that i've gotten past that stuff, has anyone here ever done a 98 accord lx 4cyl VTEC (f23a1) into a 92 accord ex manual (f22a6, i believe)? or any other 6th gen into 4th gen? and, before anyone says "why the hell would you want to do that?", i have a totalled 98 accord in my driveway with a good engine, and a 92 ex with a bad engine. also, does anyone know if the transmission housings are the same (for instance could i bolt the f23 to the existing transmission so i don't have to convert the car to auto). any help would be appreciated, and i know i'll prolly get some flamage, but oh well.

my father and i don't want to tear into the cars until we get some facts, because we'll sell the 98 to a salvage yard if the conclusion comes to "engine mounts aren't the same" or "wiring problems" or "computer problems" or so on and so forth.

i've tried to add any vital information i can think of, but i have to go for now, and if there's anything else anyone wants to know just ask.

thank you for any helpful replies.

That's a bolt up swap, but the wiring would be a pain in the ass. It can be done, buy why not just buy the right motor for the car and sell the 98 motor? I would personally buy an H23 and sell the F23 is cost is the issue. The H23 would be OBD1, give you more horsepower, and be a lot easier to wire. All these engines will bolt up to your tranny.

Fighting the OBD change is something I wouldn't tackle unless I had to.

tab, thanks for the input. as far as the h23 tho, i've heard alot of people on here bitch about it having weak piston rings or something like that.... do you know what kind of truth lies in that statement?

also, i know they make obd 2-1 adapters, but, as far as engine wiring, isn't vtec the only thing we would have to wire in extra? with a conversion harness for the ecu, wouldn't this swap be just as difficult as an h22(which is what i will try to get if i salvage the whole 98)?

as far as the "why not just buy the right motor for the car,"; well, right now, i have an engine that i know where its been for the last 35,000 miles, and i know that i am only the second owner of the 98, and last but not least, the 110,000 mile service(timing belt, water pump, auxillary belts, valve adjustment(or so they say), valve cover gasket, and spark plugs) on the 98 is only about 12,000 miles old.

now, having said all that, do you still believe that an h23 would be the best "cheap" route? and, like i said, i would like an h22, but, i'm not sure if the 98 can cover the h22, timing belts & misc sensors, shipping, and computer. does anyone know if the h22 longblocks they sell from hmotors have all the needed sensors?

lastly, my dad went and talked to a guy that sells used or rebuilt engines in houston, and he said the guy told him he could get a japanese engine for the 92 for like $700 or maybe even less. my dad didn't talk to the guy for very long b/c the guy was in the middle of moving to a bigger shop, and so he didn't say what kind of engine, but i'm guessing maybe an f20a(i believe thats what the jdm accords had in the early 90's). anyway, what do you think about that?

i guess that's it for now. thanks again for any help, and sorry if it's hard to read.

I believe for the trouble, you are way better off with a good replacement stock engine. If you want a little hassle, and a nice power bump, then go H23. Even that would require the ECU to be changed, a little wiring done, and the H23 power steering hose.

With putting a 98 engine into an older car, you fight a couple things. The engine harness will not plug into your main harness at the firewall. You'd have to use the 92 harness, and modify it to fit, and figure out a bunch of sensor wires that are no longer in the same location. With all that done, you'd then have to use a conversion harness at the ECU to plug in the OBD2 ecu to a OBD1 plug set.

The hassle is not worth the trouble.

I understand the timing belt thing. However, changing the timing belt and balancing shaft belt would be a snap with the engine out of the car. Whatever engine you get, you should just do that with the engine out. Some people will tell you to change the water pump as well. I'm against the grain on this. If you know the pump to be good, then don't worry about it. Use the Orange Dex-Cool coolant, and your water pump will last forever. The orange coolant lasts the life of you car and then some, and doesn't contain any silicates. The silicates basically break down after two years, turning into a grain that sandblasts your water pump, and ruins the seals.

Personally, I would go H23 or F22B(not F22B1). They are both DOHC non-vtec motors that would be easy to wire up, and give you a little bump in Horsepower and torque for under $1000 total. H22 is sweet, but the extra horsepower costs quite a bit. My swap cost me close to $2000 total.

On a sidenote, the H22 LSD tranny would be a great addition to any of these engines and mounts the same.

thanks again tab for all the info :D . anyway, i was searching for f22b's and i found a site that sells h22's with tranny, ecu, accessories, and wiring harness for $1850 here -> http://www.japanmotorimport.com/ ..... although i just noticed it doesn't say anything about manifolds... would having the h22's wiring harness make the job easier, or would i even be able to use it on a 92 accord? i'm thinking the answer to that is prolly no. do you know of any good places online or in the real world (if they ship), that sell f22b's? so far, i've only been able to find any on ebay, and sometimes ebay stuff just seems kinda shady to me... anyway, i'll be going home this weekend and i'm prolly gonna go with my dad to talk to the guy who said he could get an engine for $500 and see what that's all about.

also, has anyone who's reading this had any experience with japanmotorimport?

thanks again for any help.

holy shit.... i just noticed the "longblocks" link on their site, and they sell f22b longblocks for $550. that seems like a good price to me, what do you think?

having the harness would make it easier, but to put it bluntly i dont think your gonna get a harness. JDM motors are CUT out of the cars. The one i got was cut, it still had hoses attached to it that were cut. If its true you get the full harness with that H22, id go for it.

well, go here -> http://www.japanmotorimport.com/ then click on honda on the left side of the page, then scroll down to H22A and click on it; then scroll down the page and it says "Wiring Harness" under "Parts Included" ..... i don't think they can put it under parts included, and then not include it, but i could be wrong, and they could be a shady company.... has anyone on here ever done business with them? i'm thinking about starting a new thread in the member's lounge asking if anyone has dealt with them, but i don't want to get the old "don't post the same thing twice" message.

im not doubting the fact that they will send you a wiring harness, im just saying that it has been my experience with my H22 and with a friend of mine's GSR that the harness will be cut where it goes through the firewall.

The cut harness is really all you need. It'll give you the couple of connector ends that need to be added for VTEC. You would use the 92 Accord harness no matter what. If you have access to a 92 Accord EX harness, then you wouldn't have to wire the IAB.

F22B for 500 is probably the easiest and cheapest route, as long as you get the right ECU as well.

1850 for a H22 swap isn't bad either, as long as you get the cut harness at least, the whole motor and MANUAL transmission(hopefully LSD), plus the ECU and intermediate shaft. Usually they ship the header, but leave out the downpipe. That's why the downpipes go for $50 on Ebay. This would probably be true of the F22B as well.

all right, as of now, there are still two complete cars in my parents driveway... the 98 accord which is wrecked, and the 92 accord which doesn't run. i'm home from college right now, and i'm trying to get my dad to make a decision about the cars. he's still asking me questions about putting the 98 engine into the 92 car.

is there anyone here from the houston area that could make a custom wiring harness for me for not too much $$ ?

once again, thanks for all the help. if there are any questions i could answer that can help anyone help me, just let me know.

Alright, I'm pretty sure I'm getting an H22 from hmotors now. It's $1950 for the motor, tranny, ecu, and $250 for residential shipping. However, it doesn't come with an intermediate shaft, and Tab, you said in a previous post that I would need an intermdiate shaft.

But, axles are interchangeable, right? and, why isn't the intermediat shaft interchangeable if the axles are? Also, will the shift linkage from the accord work with the H22's transmission?

Thanks again for any help, I really appreciate it.

thanks reikoshea, I guess i'll have to wait for tab to get back on to find out about the shafts...

Originally posted by hondarin@Jul 12 2005, 01:46 AM
thanks reikoshea, I guess i'll have to wait for tab to get back on to find out about the shafts...
[post=524549]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah, you can use the same axles. I'm pretty sure you need to use the prelude intermediate shaft.

Okay, thanks again for the info.... but I have another question now- I read somewhere that some early accords have the cruise control on the throttle body, so in order to keep cruise control, you have to keep the old throttle body from the accord, but it's a little smaller than the prelude throttle body; is this true? the accord is a 92 EX.

thanks again

i would think they would both fit, but again thats a tab or dohcvtec question. i havent done the swap.

nah, I kept the Prelude throttle body. I don't remember having to do anything special there.

i think all preludes came standard with cruise anyway. so shouldnt be a problem to get the cc hooked up.

Originally posted by hondarin@Jun 6 2005, 08:39 PM
thanks again tab for all the info :D . anyway, i was searching for f22b's and i found a site that sells h22's with tranny, ecu, accessories, and wiring harness for $1850 here -> http://www.japanmotorimport.com/ ..... although i just noticed it doesn't say anything about manifolds... would having the h22's wiring harness make the job easier, or would i even be able to use it on a 92 accord? i'm thinking the answer to that is prolly no. do you know of any good places online or in the real world (if they ship), that sell f22b's? so far, i've only been able to find any on ebay, and sometimes ebay stuff just seems kinda shady to me... anyway, i'll be going home this weekend and i'm prolly gonna go with my dad to talk to the guy who said he could get an engine for $500 and see what that's all about.

also, has anyone who's reading this had any experience with japanmotorimport?

thanks again for any help.

holy shit.... i just noticed the "longblocks" link on their site, and they sell f22b longblocks for $550. that seems like a good price to me, what do you think?
[post=508776]Quoted post[/post]​
Hi, I bought my JDM h22a from japanmotorimport for $1850.00. They have a lot of those engines in there, I was surprised at how many. I actually went there because it's in Montreal and I live 2 hours away, so I drove there with a couple of friends and we checked a few engines before deciding on the one. Came with tranny and ecu. I will tell you one thing though. Before I bought the motor I wanted we checked like 3 others and did a compression test on them and all 3 were faulty. I don't know if that would bother you depending on what you're palnning to have done, but the price was definetely the cheapest I found.

Back