98 Spec JDM Type R or H22A

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

porkfried83

Well I'v been thinking about doing my 2nd swap. I have a 95 eg dx coupe. I was wondering witch one would be better for this car, and possible a turbo in the future. Something I can try to keep ps and ac. I was debating between a 98 Spec JDM Type R with the LSD 4.7 FD or a H22A with a LSD Trany. Or maybe even the rare Type S. I know the H22 swap would be alot harder. I'v already been considering doing the 4 disc brake conversion. And for suspension I'm not sure if my skunk 2 lowering springs will hold this wait as well as the Progress Suspension springs. I think there spring rate are not to far off.

Personally, I'd just go with a GSR swap if you plan on turbo down the road. The gear ratios are the most balanced of the B-series transmissions, and an aftermarket LSD can be installed easily. Upgrades are also plentiful - both OEM and aftermarket parts can be had to upgrade the GSR to your liking. It really is the most sensible swap that I can think of.

Ya when I got into the whole honda scene and learned what you could do with these engines. Like the performance upgrades and all the possible swaps. The GSR was the first engine I ever wanted.
Ya I think I read something some were talking about the wide ratio U.S. market GSR tranny being good for turbo-powered cars that can use the wide gear spacing. Is this the S80 or Y80? It would be easier to go with a OBD1 JDM B18C and use my engine harness + Chipped P28 ECU.

If you really want to turbo later a gsr swap is the way to go, and im pretty sure the jdm gsr transmission is the same gear ratio as usdm. If you can find a type R swap for a good price I wouldnt pass it up though. They can be boosted as well.

Back