Adding Ps

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

My brother has a 97 Civic HB CX model. He wants to add power steering, can he just pick up a ps pump and bolt it on and then add a belt, what all needs to be purchased ?

Yeah, he knows that the PS steals HP, but how much ? I drove his hb without ps and it sucks, i've been used to PS in my car. I would be willing to take it out if it would help out that much.

so with it being a different steering column, I need the whole package ? Like This

if his steering is really tight, there must be a reason like tire pressure too low, loose tie rods, etc.. if its just difficult while parking at low speeds, thats pretty normal. another reason to not get power steering is because a manual setup gives better road feel through the steering wheel, and the car reponds to the driver's steering input more precisely.

i would imagine that the ps would rob it of about 1-2 hp. just a guess. the main reason it robs hp is because it is an extra belt for the engine to spin.

ive heard it steals 7+ (unconfirmed)
it also weighs a lot more
fuck PS i just ripped mine out and i love it
its hard to turn the wheel when stopped so tight parking areas kinda suck ass but other than that its great
look into the stuff rixXxceboy said .... it shouldnt be that hard (unless your just a fuckin wuss ;) hehe in that case just look at it as a cheap upper body workout) j/k

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Mar 23 2003, 12:06 PM

fuck PS i just ripped mine out and i love it
its hard to turn the wheel when stopped so tight parking areas kinda suck ass but other than that its great

If you're totally stopped, it's not good to turn your tires anyway. Powersteering will just cause the steel tread to become bent. It's easy to just rock ur car a little with the clutch, so you move a tiny bit, and then steering becomes immensly easier.

Power steering is for WEAKLINGS. lol.

Power steering is usless, i would never think of putting it on a car that never came with it. My prelude came with it but I took it out the second day i had the car. It takes a little while to get used to but in the end it is better.

ok tell me if this can be done, I have a 1988 civic hatch and I have a ps rack but nothing else related to ps. Iam using that instead of using a manual steering rack. This is just like pulling the ps off a car that had power steering right, I can use the ps rack just like a manual steering rack right? It makes a squishy sound but other then that it should be fine to use right?

Back