Adopt-a-n00b

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-18Hatch

Who I am... A 27 year-old married guy near Cincinnati with three kids whose wife recently gave him permission to put his "toy" together. I hate it when she calls it that. My 89 Hatch is a basically stock daily driver right now (see signature).

Here's my dilemma... I want to be the one to build and tune my engine. I don't want to have to tell anyone that Crazy Joe's Radiator Shop adjusted my timing and installed my suspension. I have tools, but I don't have those specialty tools like gauges, floor lift, and a compressor.

What I have done... Head gasket on Mom's 73 GMC. Rear main on 86 Olds Station wagon- <_< -don't laugh, times were real hard. In-tank fuel pump and rear main on 90 Cherokee that I sold for profit. I'm not mechanically challenged.

I'm not looking for free parts or any labor. Just someone who knows more than I do and somewhere to put my project together as I get parts. If anyone knows anyone, please let me know.

well on a swap, air tools are not nessicary (but they make life alot easier). As for some of the speciality tools, find in autozone or murarys and check to see if they have a free loan a tool program. Thinks that I would invest in pretty soon would be a floor jack ($100 for a real good one, 50-75 if you buy a crap one at walmart) and jack stands. For actually lifting up the engine, rent a cherry picker from autozone or somewhere like that.

Edit* welcome to HondaSwap. :rolleyes:

Welcome to HS! You'll learn alot here! I did my swap with basic hand-tools. Things tend to strip too easily on older honda's with air tools.

I did my swap, With hand tools and a floor jack like they have at the dealer ships (got it from sams club for 100) and i rented a cherry picker for 40 bucks.. and did it in the snow in front of my apartment complex in december! my first swap and it went fine! just read up on some of the tech tips and ask a lot of questions and you will learn more then you could ever imagine.

Welcome and happy posting!
chris

Originally posted by crxracing77@Mar 13 2003, 03:50 PM
I did my swap... and did it in the snow in front of my apartment complex in december! my first swap and it went fine!

OMG!
:worthy:

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Mar 13 2003, 12:54 PM
if you can do a rear main and a headgasket, your mint. Just make sure to do your research!

:werd: its pretty simple, also if you're really strapped for cash, drop the car on the motor, that way you dont need a cherry picker, heh.

Thank you all for the encouragement. I didn't want to post it initially, but I just finished a "swap" on the hatch. The original engine was smoking way too much for my comfort, so I put another D15 in it. I dropped the tranny with a floor jack (I have stands and a Craftsman 3-ton, 21" lift jack) and balanced the engine on a wood block until I removed the mount and lifted it out.

:::Note to self::: Next time save your back and don't risk a hernia lifting the engine, it is too HEAVY! :slap: And mark the harness, too.:slap:

When I get the B18, I plan (note I said PLAN) to rebuild it from the Moroso oil pan to the DC Sports wire cover. And I mean EVERYTHING. This is where I am not so confident. I want someone with experience tuning to be there with me to say, "You dumbass, if you adjust the valves like this, you'll shit your engine!" Knowhutimean?

Does anyone know of anyone near Cincy?

Well there is a few good shops up here in Michigan...

I would say, buy an engine stand (not that expensive) and just ask away. The internet is a wonderful tool. Also buy a Helms manual.

How does a Haynes manual compare to Helms? Please post or PM link to Helms.

Helmsinc.com

Helms has just about everything you could ever want to know about your car in it. I would also suggest you buy one for you engine (your putting a gsr in there right) and one for your chassis.

If it says anything, Honda/Acura use Helms manuals in thier shops, not Haynes. The down side is they are like $60 a pop. But they contain everything you could every want to know about your car.

Welcome to HS. If you have questions, ask. We are always happy to help someone out. (Providing they don't come in and act like a complete ass, but you don't sound like that type to me). We have a lot of folks that have done a lit of different things. Plenty of experience. Most likely people will at least know where to find the answer to your question.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Mar 14 2003, 10:32 PM
Most likely people will at least know where to find the answer to your question.

Until summer, I am one of those people. :D

Just read alot of posts and you will feed off everyone elses knowledge

hey B18 i Just got your email.. I will be moving back to school in a few short days UD... but if you are looking for a good place there is one in cincy

www.baszracing.com their website is being updated but they do A LOT of honda tuning...

I myself am just thinking of the idea...I have had my current car since I was 16.. now im 21 and just getting bored with it and want something I can actully Track and have no worries...Why I believe a CRX would be great...There are vipers and a M3 in the family but those mainly the vipers would not fair so well in replacement cost of any sort i.e. brakes and tires.

If you want you can contact me below:
Michael Kroger
krogermp@notes.udayton.edu
AIM: MKroger00

Bringing dead threads back for the sake of adding zero value comments is a bad thing. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

Thread locked to prevent further post whoring.

:locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back