Answer This Hardcore Civic Fans

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RisingSun

ok...i just got a 93 civic hatchback. i got this becuase i got blow away from a civic the other day and it realy hurt me. i was talking to some of my friend and they told me about the potental of the LS motor. should i just go 4 the GSR motor or the LS? in the future anyways im going to turbo it. but for a few months im probally going to just cruise with a swap NA. with some of the modification around how much HP should i expect from the LS (cams,intake,flywheel,headers, etc...) can somone with experience help me out here? Hp wise and Tourc wise. what should i do?

if ur positive ur going turbo get LS, its a strong motor to start with, i love it, but after turbo its one of the best engines out there. without turbo and with I/H/E and came, expect around... 150 whp or 160. torque around 130-140

If your not going to go turbo right away, but are ah...6 months down the road, dont waste your money on the NA parts like Header and intake. If your are ever going to go turbo, get the LS for sure. Even in stock form, the LS is a good engine for the money, nothing beats low end trq.

ok thx alot :) well what turbo work best with the LSmotor? i want a turbo kit that will last and not fuck up my engine... beacuase im a daliy driver. help?

Greddy kits arent as hardcore as others, but in my opinion ar the best daily driver turbo, another good performance and daily driver turbo is a Rev hard

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Jan 17 2003, 11:48 PM
if ur positive ur going turbo get LS, its a strong motor to start with, i love it, but after turbo its one of the best engines out there. without turbo and with I/H/E and came, expect around... 150 whp or 160. torque around 130-140

You might see 150-160HP at the crank with an LS with I/H/E. But NEVER will you see 150-160WHP with an LS with just these mods. An LS with I/H/E typically sees more like 130-135WHP with bolt-ons. As for the motor to pick, it depends on your budget. Personally, I was not impressed with the performance of the LS motor when I had one on my HB. But then again, my other car was a B16A CRX. I personally would go for the GSR if you can afford it. It is a MUCH better motor and has MUCH more potential regardless of what you do to it. It is a myth that the LS is a better choice for turbocharging. There is a reason why the GSR is so much more popular than the LS among top racers.

Another good choice would be a B20 from a CRV. Although only 138cc bigger than the LS, it is a MUch better motor. This is what I replaced my LS motor with and I am VERY happy with it.

Originally posted by StorminMatt@Jan 21 2003, 10:09 PM
You might see 150-160HP at the crank with an LS with I/H/E. But NEVER will you see 150-160WHP with an LS with just these mods. An LS with I/H/E typically sees more like 130-135WHP with bolt-ons. As for the motor to pick, it depends on your budget. Personally, I was not impressed with the performance of the LS motor when I had one on my HB. But then again, my other car was a B16A CRX. I personally would go for the GSR if you can afford it. It is a MUCH better motor and has MUCH more potential regardless of what you do to it. It is a myth that the LS is a better choice for turbocharging. There is a reason why the GSR is so much more popular than the LS among top racers.

Another good choice would be a B20 from a CRV. Although only 138cc bigger than the LS, it is a MUch better motor. This is what I replaced my LS motor with and I am VERY happy with it.

I would have to agree that 150 whp is a little much in stock form. but the LS is the easiest of the B18 series to turbo because you don't have to worry about the exact, perfect timing between the turbo and VTEC. The B18B1 non-VTEC is great because no VTEC means really no need to worry when the turbo kicks in as much. If you have a GSR motor on the other hand...If you don't get the timing between the turbo and VTEC perfect they will negate each other and lots of other bad things happen. However, if you get the timing right...I hope you put a plastic bag in your pants cause you will crap them at the power it can generate. :D

Back