Anyone had hip surgery?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'd say its better to be laid up once than to have to go through it all again for the other side.

I would agree, but I can't imagine having a 20LB pressure/weight restriction on both legs at the same time. That is basically limiting you to a wheelchair for up to 8 weeks. One leg/crutches is limiting you as it is. Think about not being able to use crutches at all.....I have done a ton of reading on this and have seen back to back over the course of 10-12 months but never within weeks of each other. I am sure your doc knows what he is doing but I just don't see the logistics of it......I'm curious.

It's not bad. I've been in pain for over a decade. This is a relief because my back pain seems to be better. It could just be the painkillers but overall, I'm getting movement in muscles and joints that would not ever release or budge before.

You appreciate things like the ability to climb stairs or wipe your own ass.

My package is still numb from the anastesia, so I'm still waiting for all sensitivity to return. I can pee but I just can't really feel it.
I'd say its better to be laid up once than to have to go through it all again for the other side.

That is what I wanted but the doctor wasn't comfortable with that. Increased risk of clotting and other complications. Plus I'd literally have no movement if that were the case.

I'm just glad I didn't have to go the bathroom for the first two days, because I probably would not have been able to wipe my own ass.

I would agree, but I can't imagine having a 20LB pressure/weight restriction on both legs at the same time. That is basically limiting you to a wheelchair for up to 8 weeks. One leg/crutches is limiting you as it is. Think about not being able to use crutches at all.....I have done a ton of reading on this and have seen back to back over the course of 10-12 months but never within weeks of each other. I am sure your doc knows what he is doing but I just don't see the logistics of it......I'm curious.

I'm already up and moving, bud. I'm standing at the computer on a ledge right now. I can walk without the crutches at this point, I'm just on my toes and not putting a ton of weight on it. Also very short strides to not stretch things out too much. I took off the brace because I was starting to get my back again from being at a weird angle.

You have to remember the kind of shape I was in before I was operated on - I was doing things that healthy people can't normally do. There's a video that went up two weeks ago of me deadlifting 445 and I was squatting sets of 315. ...and that's as a 165lb guy.

I also prepared by removing all foods that cause inflammation. No gluten, no beans, limited night shades. Lots of fat, good grass fed beef, and only white rice and sweet potatoes as starches. I stopped working out the week before the surgery, so my body would be well rested and ready to repair itself. I'm taking mass amounts of cod liver oil, collagen protein powder, L-glutamine, whey powder, and alpha brain to speed the recovery too.

How you feeling? I couldn't imagine having to go in that soon for a second operation.

I stopped taking pain killers at 5p.m. Saturday. Operation wrapped up around 11am Friday. I only took them in anticipation that there would be a ton of pain. If people call this pain, they would hate to feel how my back feels everyday. This has been child's play. They had to shave down 2 bone spurs, repair the labrum, clean out the ossification/calcium build up on the inside of the joint, and to grind down the bone to fix the femural acetabular impingement.

I'm already up and moving, bud. I'm standing at the computer on a ledge right now. I can walk without the crutches at this point, I'm just on my toes and not putting a ton of weight on it. Also very short strides to not stretch things out too much. I took off the brace because I was starting to get my back again from being at a weird angle.

You have to remember the kind of shape I was in before I was operated on - I was doing things that healthy people can't normally do. There's a video that went up two weeks ago of me deadlifting 445 and I was squatting sets of 315. ...and that's as a 165lb guy.

I also prepared by removing all foods that cause inflammation. No gluten, no beans, limited night shades. Lots of fat, good grass fed beef, and only white rice and sweet potatoes as starches. I stopped working out the week before the surgery, so my body would be well rested and ready to repair itself. I'm taking mass amounts of cod liver oil, collagen protein powder, L-glutamine, whey powder, and alpha brain to speed the recovery too.

Ah that makes sense. I figured there was some sort of reasoning for being able to go "back to back" so quickly. Just don't push it too much I would hate for you to have complications. Glad to hear it didn't put you out too bad.

what did your doctor say about moving it and putting weight on the hip after the surgery?
i'm sure you know what you're doing but this seems like too much too soon.
maybe its just a different sort of surgery than a shoulder labrum, the first time i had mine done i was moving it and using it pretty soon after the surgery but as it turns out that was a horrible decision.

They said I could do toe pumps and such. I'm supposed to be on crutches. It's certainly not the safest way. The movement will help recovery - until its too much or I slip or move the wrong way and then it will hurt recovery.

I'm still limiting my range of motion. I know the pathology of my own injury so that let's me know where I'm at the most risk. I.e., my bone spurs were one in the front of the joint and one in the back. I'm not twisting/letting heavy internal or external rotation to occur. The brace prevents that but even it i wasn't in the brace, I wouldn't swing my leg or go into a deep squat because that's going to push the bone up against where the labrum was just repaired.

There's also a big difference between surgeries where the labrum was repaired and surgeries where debridement is used.

Most of my recovery time is waiting for the bone to regenerate and strengthen where they shaved it down. If it was labrum only, the recovery time is much shorter.

In the end, I don't disagree that I could approach this safer and slower. I don't want to have to re-do everything but I'm also pretty confident that I'm doing everything else right and ill have a faster recovery time then average. I won't know until next Monday.

painkillers block you up pretty good. if you can't wipe your own ass, keep taking them. lol

Yeah, that's always a concern but I'm not much of a pill popper. I didn't fill the painkiller, aspirin, stool softener or anti inflammatory scripts that they gave me.

Ah that makes sense. I figured there was some sort of reasoning for being able to go "back to back" so quickly. Just don't push it too much I would hate for you to have complications. Glad to hear it didn't put you out too bad.

The back to back would be possible because I'm fairly young (for this surgery) and am very healthy.

The upside is the closer they are together, the shorter my total recovery time. I don't want 5 months for one side and then 5 months for the other - and spend almost a year of my life on crutches.

So you had debridement instead of the anchors/stitches. From what I gather they can't figure out which way they will repair it until they are in there. Glad to see you are up and around. When is your first rehab appt?

So you had debridement instead of the anchors/stitches. From what I gather they can't figure out which way they will repair it until they are in there. Glad to see you are up and around. When is your first rehab appt?

I wasn't awake to confirm with the doctor, so it's only hearsay from my fiancé and my conversation with the sic before he went in there and knew how bad it was.

My understanding is there was some of both repair and debridement.

His plan was to ellipse the labrum by debriding all of the ossified portion on the labrum nearest to the neck of the femur and then sew up whatever else was torn.

I think that all happened but my fiancé thought they may have also done pins. After thinking about it for awhile. I'm 99% sure what she saw, that were colored in the images the doctor showed her, was actually the suture anchors.

His procedure or philosophy is that even some junky labrum is better than completely removing it and then trying to reattach a makeshift labrum, hoping the body will accept it.

I wasn't awake to instruct him how to do it. Just kidding. The guys a genius. I have complete faith that he did a better job than nearly anyone else in the world could have.

And I finished all of Breaking Bad yesterday. Did a little work, too. These are some longgg days on the couch.

@chester - At my follow up appointment, I found out that I had both debridement and the suture anchors. They didn't completely remove the labrum but they shaved off all of the labrum that had ossified/calcified. It was carving a canal in the top of my femur bone - which was the knife like pain that I was feeling in the front of my right hip. The doctor said he could line up the groove that was cut in the bone with the bone spur and the calcified labrum.

This Friday will be 4 weeks since the procedure. I am walking, albeit with a slight limp still, and can do most things. I squatted past parallel last Friday. I was still supposed to be in the brace and on crutches. I ditched the crutches after about 3 days. Slipped on ice with them twice and was hurting myself more than just walking around and keeping most of my weight off of my foot.

Back pain has been tremendous because the surgery and the brace had me hunched forward.

Have you gone under the knife yet?

@chester - At my follow up appointment, I found out that I had both debridement and the suture anchors. They didn't completely remove the labrum but they shaved off all of the labrum that had ossified/calcified. It was carving a canal in the top of my femur bone - which was the knife like pain that I was feeling in the front of my right hip. The doctor said he could line up the groove that was cut in the bone with the bone spur and the calcified labrum.

This Friday will be 4 weeks since the procedure. I am walking, albeit with a slight limp still, and can do most things. I squatted past parallel last Friday. I was still supposed to be in the brace and on crutches. I ditched the crutches after about 3 days. Slipped on ice with them twice and was hurting myself more than just walking around and keeping most of my weight off of my foot.

Back pain has been tremendous because the surgery and the brace had me hunched forward.

Have you gone under the knife yet?

Thanks for the update. I am actually going in on the 24th. I have my Pre-Op appt. next Tuesday. Right now I am just busily trying to get all my shit done so the sub teacher doesn't screw up my curriculum while I am gone. I have read some posts online about items that made being laid up easier. Have any suggestions? Right now I am looking at a long handled luffe (sp?) for bathing and some warm socks.

Also just curious - what are your rehab appts like?

just throwing this in here for post op, might want some compression socks to increase blood flow in the feet/lower legs
also, don't take any blood thinner type meds a week before the surgery, aspirin and similar pain relievers comes to mind

just throwing this in here for post op, might want some compression socks to increase blood flow in the feet/lower legs
also, don't take any blood thinner type meds a week before the surgery, aspirin and similar pain relievers comes to mind

Yeah I have a whole list of things to stop ingesting starting with 14 days pre-op. I was under the impression that compression socks would be given to me if needed the day of surgery. To be honest I am stoked to get another pair of the green footie socks with treads on them. They are comfy as hell. :)

Back