Anyone had hip surgery?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Just don't overdo it but you know that. Yeah that was the worst for me too. Hardly any pain but I couldn't lift my own leg to save my life.

Just don't overdo it but you know that. Yeah that was the worst for me too. Hardly any pain but I couldn't lift my own leg to save my life.

Guess you are past that point now? How far along are you?

I am really pushing this one - last time I didn't ice. This time I am more aggressive on my movement and then icing some more. I will be fine as long as I don't have any of those issues with the bone growth coming back again. I foresee this being half the time. Its 4 days and I have a limp but I am not that far from a normal walk now. Real acute angles of the hip are tough - high stairs, etc - but that is most of the limitation besides the lost strength. I started going through my own PT routine almost immediately.

I am doing fine. ROM and flexibility are maxed out for this point in the rehab protocol. I am walking now without crutches. After the last rehab my PT said to work down to one crutch but as soon as I tried that I said fuck it. I am basically walking as it was and not using a crutch didn't hurt at all so I ditched it. My only issue right now is the tightness in my calves, hammies and lower back but it is starting to work itself out. I am being really protective of the labrum as I don't want that to heal funny. I go in for my next PT on Thursday and I will see what I can start to do at the gym. I know my repaired leg is weaker so I want to get some of that strength back.

Sounds like you are doing great!

My personal feelings on the crutches is that they are more dangerous then they are good - especially when it was winter and ice was out. Doubly so because our townhouse is multiple level and I have two flights of stairs that would not be fun to fall down.

I agree. I had a couple of close calls on the stairs at my house as well. I think they make you use them because in their minds it is better to be over cautious than say go for it right away. My PT said that even my surgeon used to let people push a little until some of them started to have set backs in weeks 4-5 so now he errors on the side of caution.

I agree. I had a couple of close calls on the stairs at my house as well. I think they make you use them because in their minds it is better to be over cautious than say go for it right away. My PT said that even my surgeon used to let people push a little until some of them started to have set backs in weeks 4-5 so now he errors on the side of caution.

I actually had this discussion with my wife last night. Everyone is being overly cautious with me and is concerned I will hurt myself. The reality is I will be the first person to stop moving if things hurt or there is a setback. Until that point, what is optimal is going off of the feedback my body is giving me and not a general outline that has been created.

With that said, the conversation last night was about how its the surgeon's sole concern that you maintain the integrity of the operation. Its a physical therapists sole concern that they improve daily function. Neither are necessarily optimal for YOU.

Sure the doctor may think its cool for me to be on crutches for 4-6 weeks or wear a brace for 4-6 weeks. He also does not have to live with the consequence of the back pain that, that causes or the set back because of the atrophy that is caused from limited movement. His success or failure is measured on whether or not that surgical repair works when things are all said and done.

My interest is not in playing things so safe that there is no chance of failure in the surgical repair nor is it to simply have basic every day function. My interest is returning to a better quality of life than I had previously, as quickly as I possibly can. I still would not advocate anyone simply returning to normal and trying to metaphorically dive straight in - but there is little harm in dipping your toe in and testing the waters. Your leg is not going to fall off and the surgery is not going to fail if you incrementally build on things. Going from 0-100mph is the recipe for failure. Increasing 1mph daily or hourly is not the recipe for failure. People are just scared stupid.

So a little update:

-I am done with my PT - still progressing on getting back into shape.

-officially can't play baseball this year as the final surgeons visit isn't until after the season is over.

-Played my first rounds of golf this weekend and had the best round of my life yesterday (84) which is in part to the fact that I have to tell my self mentally to not try and kill it which is helping my swing.

- So far only downsides are some muscle soreness after long duration activities (yardwork, long walking, golf, etc) and some calf soreness. I seem to get fatigued quicker but I think I am still getting back to 100% after being on crutches. Dr. says that I probably won't feel 100% until the six month mark which would be September.

All in all I would do this over again in a heartbeat. I would recommend to anyone that gets the diagnosis to have the surgery as well. From the day I was off crutches I could tell that the procedure was a success and will help me get back to a more normal pain free lifestyle and hopefully I won't need the replacement.

Back