Arrgghh, stupid pop-up!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

So a yesterday I somehow got the "Win 7 Home Security 2012" virus or something like that. Took a lot of stuff to get it removed but now I keep getting popups through IE(which I never use). I've ran SpyBot S&D and Ad-Aware, and I'm still getting pop-ups! It's not a specific ad either, but rather random ads. Any help?

lol, try hijack this. it's specifically made to remove software that include popup hooks. most of the stuff you'll want gone will be labeled BHO in hijack this.

I had that. I ran malwarebytes and rkill and that cleaned it right up. Then i scanned it all again with Norton and havent had an issue since.

It was so bad that within 5min, i would have 50+ pop ups from that virus on my task bar.

I rebooted in safe mode, and ran Avast, Malwarebyte, Spybot, and AdAware...and so far it hasn't showed up. Though, I'm still going to run more scans with HiJack this and Rkill. Any others I should try? If all else fails, I will format though. It just sucks that my back-up drive is IDE(takes forever to transfer files).

Switch back over to normal operating. let us know if it changes. I know mine was "fine" in safe mode but got attacked in normal mode. But hope it works.

Well, I left my computer on overnight and found about 15 popups this morning, most from "blinkx". Looks like I will be installing a new copy.

I *think* I got it fixed. I noticed that when the scanners did pick something up, it would be in a Java directory. I uninstalled Java and some programs I stop using(DeadAIM and I think Bing toolbar), along with installing recent Windows updates, and haven't seen any pop-ups again.

If all else fails, hit up tech spot and they'll walk you through removing the problem. Pretty awesome over there and they respond fairly quickly.

Back