Autotransport.com?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DarkHand

VIP
I just bought a 1st gen CRX, no dents or rust, but the brakes supposedly don't work at all. I need to get this car from the Toledo, Ohio area to the Chicago, Illinois area. Believe me, I've checked with EVERYONE I know, and no one has a vehicle with a trailer hitch, so towing it myself is out.

Autotransport.com quoted me only $250 with no deposit required to have the car shipped to me. Other places were asking in the range of $400-$600 with a deposit for the same service. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with them before? I don't want the CRX to be picked up from Ohio and suddenly disappear. Thanks in advance!

have a buddy drive you down there, rent a u-haul van or truck, and a car carrier, and do it that way....it might be cheaper....

It will not be cheaper. Uhaul trucks are cheap for going 50 miles or less. Teledo to the windy city will be probally 200-250 miles. Go check on the uhaul sites, it is a ton of money.

cheapest way, go to DMV get plates for vehicle that are for transport use only, they are good for like a day or two. drive to Ohio with a friend put plates on car and drive home.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Oct 6 2003, 04:08 PM
cheapest way, go to DMV get plates for vehicle that are for transport use only, they are good for like a day or two. drive to Ohio with a friend put plates on car and drive home.

I guess you missed the detail of having like no brakes.

two new brake rotor's (if needed) $40
two front calipers(if needed) $100
Pads up front (if needed) $10
Rebuilt MC (if needed) $40
booster is not nessesary....
if the brake lines are bad..thats only hard to find or get part...but a local junkyard whould have something that will work..

Only worry about the front brakes....replace what is nessesary, and drive it back...even if you replace all the nessesary parts...it still don't = $250, and everything on a first gen CRX is very accessable.. and only a basic tool kit can get you up and running.

Originally posted by Airjockie@Oct 6 2003, 02:20 PM
two new brake rotor's (if needed) $40
two front calipers(if needed) $100
Pads up front (if needed) $10
Rebuilt MC (if needed) $40
booster is not nessesary....
if the brake lines are bad..thats only hard to find or get part...but a local junkyard whould have something that will work..

Only worry about the front brakes....replace what is nessesary, and drive it back...even if you replace all the nessesary parts...it still don't = $250, and everything on a first gen CRX is very accessable.. and only a basic tool kit can get you up and running.

That's my other idea. :)

My only problem then would be finding someone free on the weekend (90% of my friends work on the weekends) that's willing to drive me there (or drive WITH me there) and take up the entire day... Mapquest says it's a 4 hour drive one way.

Not sure if it's considered a non-op because of the brake issue, but that usually adds a little bit the cost because they have to use something (a winch, I think) to load the vehicle. $250 seems like a good price and I'd consider anything under $400 to be fairly reasonable. Depends if you're having shipped door to door too. I've used A-1 Auto Transport before and would again if the need came up. They've got offices in both places and will give you the cost upfront. Might be worth a look.

Doesn't the forum say "WARNING YOU ARE ABOUT TO BRING A REALLY OLD THREAD BACK TO LIFE" now?

Back