axel removeal help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

4gcivicY8

the drivers side axels is stuck and i can't get it out . i'm replacing cuz i friend replaced my alternator and ribbed the boot and broke the cv joint . i have another axel but the one thats broken won't come i have tried eveything . what can i do . and i wanna get it running agoin to take down to NC in 3 weeks

make sure you took the axel nut off, and then just pull like a mother fucker straight out. hit it on the nut with a rubber mallet (but don't flatten the bolt top) to loosen it up=- and yank

I know how you feel. I tried everything! I went through the same thing. If you're having no kinda luck getting that bitch off, just drain the tranny fluid and remove the drive axle that's connected to the axle.

That should just slide off the transmission easier. With the whole assembly out, hold the assembly vertically and grip it in between with some "Vise Grips" and hammer the "Vise Grips" to pop it out. Remember to remove the three bolts at the end of the drive shaft that's closer to the axle to separate it from the tranny.

It worked for me. I hope that helps. :p

Pull on it and you'll probably separate the CV joint, and then it's really no fun to get the axle out...

Try a pipe wrench. Seriously. It works for me every time. The jaws on a pipe wrench are typically just the right size to fill the space between the axle and the transmission housing. Just loosely grip the axle with the pipe wrench in between the axle's inner cup and the transmission, then give the handle of the pipe wrench a strong kick. You should be able to pop that sucker right out.

Is it stuck in the spindel or in the tranny? If it is stuck in the spindel, you need this thing...

s3fd3d14a7ef56.jpg

It is called an axle pusher or a hub puller. You can rent them at autozone. They work so well. If you have an impact, you can get that thing out of there in less then 30 seconds. If not, you can just use a ratchet and some how wedge somthing so that the wheel does not spin (have someone hold the brakes) and it will come right out.

no i got the hub part off. its still stuck in the trans. i'm gonna try the pipe wrench idea sounds like it might work . and i did seperate th cv joint and thats why i'm replacing it i got a new axel for free from my class . we gutted an entire civic hopefully the axel works though cuz its out of a 5th gen . has anyone tried it and does it work or not ?

Originally posted by 4gcivicY8@Apr 1 2004, 10:40 PM
no i got the hub part off. its still stuck in the trans. i'm gonna try the pipe wrench idea sounds like it might work . and i did seperate th cv joint and thats why i'm replacing it i got a new axel for free from my class . we gutted an entire civic hopefully the axel works though cuz its out of a 5th gen . has anyone tried it and does it work or not ?

what kind of car do you have? If you have a b-series, first you need to remove the 3 bolts that hold the intermediate shaft on. To Remove from the transmission, you need a pry bar, then just wedge it between the tranny and the axle, and just pop it out. On the intermetiate side, watch out for the little metal cover. It bends easily. For D-series, just wedge the thing in the pry bar in there, and it will pop out. For the intermediate shaft, use the monkey wrench trick.

the motor is a d series. i tried the pipe wrench method no luck and tried eveything in my garage . i have no clue what to do . i'm really doughting gettin this car done by the 16th of this month i'm starting to get pissed . i hanyes manuel is no help at all . what the f**k. and i have a axel off a 5th gen is it going to work with my 4th gen trans thanks eveyone.

Originally posted by turbo99@Apr 1 2004, 11:58 AM
I know how you feel. I tried everything! I went through the same thing. If you're having no kinda luck getting that bitch off, just drain the tranny fluid and remove the drive axle that's connected to the axle.

That should just slide off the transmission easier. With the whole assembly out, hold the assembly vertically and grip it in between with some "Vise Grips" and hammer the "Vise Grips" to pop it out. Remember to remove the three bolts at the end of the drive shaft that's closer to the axle to separate it from the tranny.

It worked for me. I hope that helps. :p

Dude, why don't you use my idea? Separate the whole assembly from the transmission. Once you have it off, you will have an easier time separating it. Trust me. I know what you're going through and this is the only method that worked for me. B)

its a d series it dosent have intermediate shaf. i have allways used a pickel fork to remove them from a d series

finally got it off vice girps and and work boots thanks guys for the help

Back